★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Matthew Herz
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 13.0 MB
  • Version: 1.3
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: An SNES-styled puzzle game for iOS!

Thank you for everyone's appreciation in downloading!

Featured in AppsGoneFree. Your daily free app resource!

DE: Heute gratis mit der App des Abends

Lade die App des Abends herunter und entdecke jeden Tag eine kostenpflichtige App, die fr 24 Stunden gratis ist.

"If Lewis Carroll or Mervyn Peake ever made a puzzler, it might be a little like this, and thats pretty much an endorsement right there." -- Hookshot Inc.

"Carota! got its hooks in me and it's worth a purchase if you're into puzzlers featuring cute cat-rabbits." -- Old School Junkie.com

"The gameplay, once understood, reveals itself to be quite deep, and compelling, with a high degree of replay value for those who enjoy maximizing high scores. Highly recommended." -- TouchArcade forums

"Overall, the aesthetics and humor of this app make it a great game." -- AppAdvice.com

"It tends to be more laid back than its closest genre cousins, but Carota! succeeds as a fun and varied action puzzler youll want to try out if youre looking for something thats well out of the ordinary." -- iFanzine
-----------------------------------

When an old lady finds her garden carrots being eaten, she knocks the poor intruder, Thaddeus the Cabbit, down a hole leading him straight to the underworld! Help Thaddeus make his way back to the surface through 50 levels of puzzle action!

Featuring:
- 6 original music tracks
- 3 modes of play
- Game Center and OpenFeint support for leaderboards and achievement
- Pipe Dream-inspired gameplay
- A fun and charming adventure for everyone!
03-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Game Impressions

The art style is what attracted me to this one, but after 10 minutes or so of playing I wasn't very impressed. The rules of the game felt very arbitrary. Getting to the exit as quickly as possible (which is intuitive) did not appear to be the goal. The tiles could be moved anywhere on screen, and even while the animal was walking along them. I didn't understand the need for adding "new" tiles when the existing ones could simply be repositioned wherever I chose; even directly next to the exit. The rules of the game felt very loose and "saggy;" not limiting or focused enough for what I would expect from a puzzle game. As it turns out, I was experiencing possibly the only flaw this game has: it doesn't give itself enough time at the start to explain its particulars properly to the player, thus creating some elements of confusion.

Once the penny dropped, (and in fairness it did only take around 10 minutes) and I began to understand what was required, what tools and strategies I was given to achieve it, and that the high degree of freedom and the lack of strictness was not necessarily a bad thing, the game immediately opened up into something I saw myself very highly likely to enjoy, even if it wasn't exactly what I had expected.

As a package then, in fact, this game is one of those I can call "just a little bit special." The graphics, and in particular the music (which is very much a highlight,) create a very particular, whimsical mood that's both compelling and endearing. Importantly, each complements the other perfectly. The gameplay, once understood, reveals itself to be quite deep, and compelling, with a high degree of replay value for those who enjoy maximizing high scores. Highly recommended.

03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Played the game it's pretty good.

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!
03-19-2012, 08:03 PM
03-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Gabrien, thank you for the awesome feedback!

I really need to reevaluate the intro levels more. I kept hearing that nagging voice inside of me telling me that I didn't quite explain myself as well as I could have. I hope it doesn't scare away players too soon, but the tutorial stages are definitely going to be #1 on my list to revamp (once I figure out -how- exactly...)

(as a quick sidenote, I really wasn't sure who creates the announcement thread and/or when the right time to post it would be, so thank you for putting it up also! Is there anything else you need from me regarding the App Info?)
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
The art style is what attracted me to this one, but after 10 minutes or so of playing I wasn't very impressed. The rules of the game felt very arbitrary. Getting to the exit as quickly as possible (which is intuitive) did not appear to be the goal. The tiles could be moved anywhere on screen, and even while the animal was walking along them. I didn't understand the need for adding "new" tiles when the existing ones could simply be repositioned wherever I chose; even directly next to the exit. The rules of the game felt very loose and "saggy;" not limiting or focused enough for what I would expect from a puzzle game. As it turns out, I was experiencing possibly the only flaw this game has: it doesn't give itself enough time at the start to explain its particulars properly to the player, thus creating some elements of confusion.

Once the penny dropped, (and in fairness it did only take around 10 minutes) and I began to understand what was required, what tools and strategies I was given to achieve it, and that the high degree of freedom and the lack of strictness was not necessarily a bad thing, the game immediately opened up into something I saw myself very highly likely to enjoy, even if it wasn't exactly what I had expected.

As a package then, in fact, this game is one of those I can call "just a little bit special." The graphics, and in particular the music (which is very much a highlight,) create a very particular, whimsical mood that's both compelling and endearing. Importantly, each complements the other perfectly. The gameplay, once understood, reveals itself to be quite deep, and compelling, with a high degree of replay value for those who enjoy maximizing high scores. Highly recommended.
While the game claims a Pipe Dreams connection, I think play might be a bit more like Candy Train in the emphasis is to keep rabbit moving over new tiles more than simply reaching the exit.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post

So are the levels scripted pass/fail puzzles or randomized highscore affairs? Am I supposed to stretch stuff out or reach the exit quickly?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
03-19-2012, 08:57 PM
The goal for all levels is to complete as fast as possible, with a leaderboard for the last stages for each level (1-5, 2-5, etc). Endless mode is where you want to stretch it out as quick as possible, unlocked by beating the 25 Stage Clear levels.
03-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Would like to add that the game has propagated, App Store info is up and it's downloadable in the US now. Don't mind me, just giddy!
03-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeneabt View Post
Played the game it's pretty good.
Thanks triggywiggy and keeneabt.

LordGek, I hope that answers your question and clears it up. At one point I was planning to make each level have the time factor count (and be competitive on OpenFeint/GameCenter)... but then realized the leaderboard limit on GameCenter was 25 boards. Oops!