App description: Rico is an old school jump'n'run game!
Run across the levels, jump over obstacles, climb mountains, explore caves, swim through water
Collect crystals throughout each level
Avoid mines, acid pits and various deadly enemies along the way
Find upgrades to get abilities like double jump
Reach magic stones to activate checkpoints
Find and use weapons to combat enemies
Fly with a jetpack
Face off against Rico in epic boss battles

4 difficulty levels to keep you challenged
4 different worlds
32 levels full of retro awesomeness

If you like platformers, you'll love Rico!

strivemind's comments:

Trailer from PC version:
03-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Reminds me of Frogatto (as well as a ton of classics, of course). I'm TOFTT -- will report later today.

03-24-2013, 07:29 AM
I don't have time for an exhaustive review right now, but after playing through the first 4 levels, I'm really, really digging it. The levels are long and involved, the physics are quite good (if not excellent), the controls are good on an iPhone 5, and there's even a simple but pleasant story about restoring balance to the world. Overall, the game has a ton of personality, even with the generic-looking character. My only complaint right now is that the levels are pretty linear so far -- I would love to see branching paths.

So far I'm happy with my $3 purchase.
03-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Just bought this due to squarezeros review. Yes its $2.99 but come on people, this is why we get freemium ! Start supporting your indie dev.

Just been playing this, love the graphics, gameplay is very good and thats whats key. Really happy with this turning up today, hope the dev creates a sequel.

Yet again this is whats great about the app store when a little indie gem like this appears from nowhere.

Only criticism - I wish you could move the buttons slightly, find it a bit odd the gap between left/right is the same for the other buttons. Normally left/right are closer together. Not a huge problem but ideally would like to move the buttons closer.

But the old skool chiptune, graphics and what seems like a fair few large levels makes this a really good game in my view

Last edited by psj3809; 03-24-2013 at 08:35 AM.
03-24-2013, 08:33 AM
has a total Metroid feeling - I'm lovin it. =oD

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Dragon Hills, Devious Dungeon 2, Attack The Light, Incoboto, Bring Me Sandwiches!!
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;: syntheticvoid
:;:CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:;: Autechre, Download, Flint Glass
03-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Lovely placeholder since i already finished the brilliant 'Unmechanical'.
This is a nice and relaxing distraction from all the runners and chasers
out there. The chiptune alone is worth the coins !
03-24-2013, 10:57 AM
This week will not end, will it? Just tagging this thread to buy this in a little while, I guess.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
03-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
This week will not end, will it? Just tagging this thread to buy this in a little while, I guess.
This surprised me too. What a week!

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
03-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
It's certainly turning into quite the "sleeperific amazingfest..."

DBC

I give up.
03-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Blooooooooody hell...this is good.

Probably should note that while the button placement on iPad is ridiculously low visually, you can still basically play the game with your thumbs in the center like you would Mikey Shorts. I haven't bothered checking out the options menu, nor is that option right now, but yeah...no one should have an issue with the button placement.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

Last edited by metalcasket; 03-24-2013 at 12:48 PM.