Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #171  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM
dalbertson dalbertson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrobotix View Post
I hope they don't increase the level cap. I like the system right now, it forces you to make tough decisions on point allocations, since you can't just max all of them out..
I thought of this right after I posted...it is fun trying to place the skill points just right. Provides for a lot more variety and challenge.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM
eAdvisory eAdvisory is offline
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,090
Default

qhats the level cap?
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:52 PM
C.Hannum C.Hannum is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbertson View Post
I thought of this right after I posted...it is fun trying to place the skill points just right. Provides for a lot more variety and challenge.
And if they don't eventually increase the level cap, then what?

Think before you post. There are 8 points just for the non-standard talents "tree", 9 points for the weapon skills, 9 points for the armour skills, 4 points for the heavy weapon training, and 4 points for equipment. That's 34 points, at which point you still wouldn't have a "perfect" hunter because the majority of the talent based points are simply not available to a given hunter no matter what. They could raise the level cap to 25 and not only would it not change the need to make the choices to get things "just right", with the rapid slow down in leveling, it's not like any significant amount of players would ever reach max level anyhow.

They will raise the level cap and it won't hurt the game at all. In fact, one of the first things I noticed is the new system, unlike the first one, is designed to be raised without altering the game balance.

One thing you can bet money on: if a game has leveling, and the game gets supported after it launches, the level cap will be raised. They had to raise the level cap in the first game, they will do so again. Most players want the sensation of working toward something. With a static level cap of 10 in place the game will grow stagnant.

Last edited by C.Hannum; 03-29-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM
eAdvisory eAdvisory is offline
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
And if they don't eventually increase the level cap, then what?

Think before you post. There are 8 points just for the non-standard talents "tree", 9 points for the weapon skills, 9 points for the armour skills, 4 points for the heavy weapon training, and 4 points for equipment. That's 34 points, at which point you still wouldn't have a "perfect" hunter because the majority of the talent based points are simply not available to a given hunter no matter what. They could raise the level cap to 25 and not only would it not change the need to make the choices to get things "just right", with the rapid slow down in leveling, it's not like any significant amount of players would ever reach max level anyhow.

They will raise the level cap and it won't hurt the game at all. In fact, one of the first things I noticed is the new system, unlike the first one, is designed to be raised without altering the game balance.
what is the max lvl?
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM
C.Hannum C.Hannum is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eAdvisory View Post
what is the max lvl?
Currently, it is like the first game at launch, 10 (aka 9 out of 34 talent/skill points). There's so much room to raise the level cap and still keep the guns or butter choices to hunter building I'm kind of shocked anyone would already be jumping on the "best of all possible worlds" angle for the obvious temporary cap.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:03 PM
C.Hannum C.Hannum is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,244
Default

Regarding the current level cap and why it will be raised:

The current talent system is analagous yet significantly nerfed compared to the system used in the first game.

By level 10 in H:E1 you had 3 equipment slots which scaled to the max for free, free training for all heavy weapons, and 5 points to invest in the Talent Trees (enough to reach the "ultimate talent" for one branch with a single point in another - exactly the same situation that exists for H2 if you spend 5 points on talents).

To put that in perspective, as things currently stand, it takes the equivalent of 3 of your 9 points to be the equivalent of just one equipment slot in H:E1. So, not even counting the loss in flexibility of equipping and unequipping gear as needed, to just have the equivalent in gearing up to H:E1, you have to devote all 9 of your currently available points to just three of the weapon/armour/equipment categories in H2 without ever spending a single point in the Talent side of things.

Or, if you choose the equivalence in terms of talents, max one tree, splash another, well, then you're going to be trapped forever around the equivalent of gear bonuses to a low to mid level H:E1 hunter.

Essentially, to just be roughly equal to the flexibility of the first game, you need 9 points for equipment/weapons/armor, 5 points for talents, and 4 points for heavy weapons; 18 in all, or just about where you'd be at level 20 using the current game mechanics. Even if you don't go for the "trained in all heavy weapons", you would still need to reach level 16 in Hunters 2 to achieve the same gear and talent boost as a level 10 hunter from H:E1 (9 gear, 5 talents, 1 weapon training).

Level cap will be raised; it seems pretty obvious unlike in H:E1, where they trapped themselves with a system designed around their initial allotment of talent points, in H2 they started low so they can go higher

Last edited by C.Hannum; 03-29-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:12 PM
dalbertson dalbertson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 412
Default

I think there are pros and cons to raising the level cap. I was disappointed the first time I maxed out at level 10 because I was looking forward to putting points in everything available, thinking the sky was the limit. In retrospect I should have known better because the first Hunters had a cap as well. Knowing that there was a cap and that I had to pick and choose a little more carefully actually opened up a lot of possibilities to specialize...now instead of a Zealot with maxed out stats in everything I have a heavily armored Zealot with four points in Survival and the rest in Armor skills (Resistance and Camo). He's a beast that can take a ton of hits, heal himself - but is almost as unmovable as a rock. Or I can have a Zealot that maxes out Vengeance and puts the rest into weapons upgrades. Now having said all that, upping the level cap to 15 or even higher would still provide the ability to specialize your hunter. I'm sure they will eventually raise the allowable level, I'm pretty sure they did it in the first one. But till then, I'm getting a lot of replay out of tinkering with the 9 points we do get.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:13 PM
dalbertson dalbertson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 412
Default

...and there I go submitting my post before checking for new ones..
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 PM
C.Hannum C.Hannum is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbertson View Post
I was disappointed the first time I maxed out at level 10 because I was looking forward to putting points in everything available, thinking the sky was the limit. In retrospect I should have known better because the first Hunters had a cap as well.
Well, and the interface only shows 9 slots for talent/skill points
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 PM
dalbertson dalbertson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
Well, and the interface only shows 9 slots for talent/skill points
That probably would have been a good indicator...but I was still young and filled with hope.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent