★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Squids --> FREE

03-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Squids --> FREE

03-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Great game. Tempted to redownload it for the new content recently added if it wasn't for space considerations (don't misread this as this is NOT a game I question as far as space is concerned -- at least I don't remember this one blowing up to 3-4x the compressed size).

03-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh wow. Now, this is a game I'm sad to see go free. The effort that obviously went into this game deserves repayment. I just hope they didn't change anything, you know, in an IAP sense. Otherwise, anyone who doesn't have this needs to jump on it.
03-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
Oh wow. Now, this is a game I'm sad to see go free. The effort that obviously went into this game deserves repayment. I just hope they didn't change anything, you know, in an IAP sense. Otherwise, anyone who doesn't have this needs to jump on it.
There's a sequel coming out soon so The Game Baker's made their profit and are using this as a promotion for advancement of the line. Squids 1 is a quality game that has not received any negative gamebreaking updates IAP or otherwise; still worth it.
03-21-2012, 04:22 PM
(yodaspeak) Good turn-based strategy, this one is.

I bought this a while back and i had some good times with it. It's got some unique mechanics for a TBS and it has a charm even casual gamers would appreciate.

Im actually surprised that this is free now. For those who didnt yet, GET IT.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
03-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
Oh wow. Now, this is a game I'm sad to see go free. The effort that obviously went into this game deserves repayment.
Not to harp on this, but I've seen this sentiment a lot more often in these price drop threads.

Yes, I agree, this and many other games are well worth the money they ask for them. But when there's a price drop or a freebie, there's usually a good reason. The dev WANTS to get more notice for his app and going free or having a sale is a way to get bumped up in the AppStore rankings and get more notice.

More often than not, I suspect that the vast majority of the freebies we see here, the devs are happy to get the downloads, word-of-mouth and reviews on the AppStore. Just like the Mystery of the Japanese Werewolf that a lot of people got upset to see go free. That dev was really happy to see how many downloads he got and, hopefully, will get future sales because of it.

Anyway, don't necessarily feel "bad" for taking advantage of sales and freebies. If you leave a review or support the dev in the future, it all helps (or at least I like to think so).

Last edited by awp69; 03-21-2012 at 04:30 PM.
03-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Im actually surprised that this is free now. For those who didnt yet, GET IT.
...and if you like the game, spend a buck or two on the IAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
03-21-2012, 05:12 PM
this was on my wish list for a while. honestly i did not expect this to go free. it looks awesome - bet it plays awesome as well

Noise brings so many things, make my tingling skin freeze.
Follow a Panda bear and make Twitter a better place!
03-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfratBarTal View Post
this was on my wish list for a while. honestly i did not expect this to go free. it looks awesome - bet it plays awesome as well
Don't hesitate. It's a ton of fun if you dig the mechanics (there were a few that didn't, but I wasn't one of them).

Looking forward to Squids 2!!
03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
The tA editor's review says:

Quote:
Hampered by IAP Balance Issues
http://toucharcade.com/2011/10/10/squids-review/

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)