★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Ver 1.2 is now live!! Open Feint allows you to compete against Word Crafters around the world on both iOS and Android devices!!

If you love word games and trivia, then you will love Word Craft: Dictionary Edition! And it's just the first of many Word Craft editions to come (History Edition, Geography Edition, Bible Edition, Sports Edition, Music Edition, and of course more dictionary editions), all of which are guaranteed to test your word skills while helping to build your vocabulary and knowledge.

Play alone or with a group of friends and family. In Word Craft DE, every word comes with a complete dictionary edition, including the etymology for most words. Thus, Word Craft DE will teach you things you didn't know about both common and unusual words.

Each word is broken up into word blocks. For example, "Altogether" could be broken up into the word blocks "AL", "TOG", "ETH", "ER." These correct word blocks are mixed together with other incorrect word blocks. Your job is to pick the right word pieces in the correct order to spell the word defined. If you like word games like Scrabble, Word with Friends, and Word Mix, then you'll love Word Craft DE!

dclose's comments:

I discovered this recently, I love word games, and this one is nicely different! The instructions are a bit wordy (ha ha), but it's simple enough that jumping right in and playing is no handicap. It's easy to figure out what's going on. You select a starting letter, then a word length that you'd like to practice (say, words beginning with L that contain 8 letters), and this game then presents you with various dictionary definitions and you have to guess the actual word. Fortunately you don't have to do this blind, but you're given several rows of 2 and 3 letter combinations that make up the finished word. It's your job to put them in order and figure out what word is represented by the definition(s). What fun!

The only thing I'd like to see added in the future is a hint system. Some of the words really stumped me! I would've been nice to get, say, a hint about the first two letters, or even a "contains" letter combination. The developer says this is coming in the next update, so I can't wait!

The developer is very active on Facebook, and has said the following improvements are coming in an update that will be out very soon:

Quote:
ver 1.1 is under review by Apple, and will include the following:

1. Added a "next" button to jump from the current word to the next unsolved word.
2. Added a "hint" button to give hints to help you solve difficult words.
3. Added finger scrolling to the definition area so you can scroll all the definitions easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.
03-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Also, it's a universal app, so that gets double bonus points in my book! Or maybe that should read "on my iPad", LOL!

03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Looks interesting...

Edit: Bought! You're right...this app sorely needs that "hint" button quickly! Also, sounds would enhance gameplay. Hopefully, the devs will see this...

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 03-23-2012 at 03:49 PM.
03-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi ColeDaddy!

We (the devs) did see your post The "hint" button should be live sometime next week. Ver. 1.1 is submitted and "Waiting for Review" in iTunes.

As far as sound, what kind of sounds are you talking about? We have sounds for touching the buttons, but overall we try to keep sounds to a minimum as they tend to get annoying over time, including to us as we develop We would love for you to elaborate though.

Thanks!

James Potter (lead dev guy)
JANES Works Company
03-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Nice game. Very tough and challenging.

The hint button would be good, but I'd make it something your earned. A new hint could be given every time you complete a word without using one. Then if you need a hint, but are out of them you'll have to go to another letter and see if you can solve a word.

Just a thought.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
03-25-2012, 12:54 AM
@QuickWit: Based on your suggestion, we're thinking of giving one hint for guessing a word without using any hints. If you use only one hint to solve a word then you would earn only half a hint. No hints would be earned if you use two or more hints. Thanks for the great suggestion!!!
03-25-2012, 03:21 AM
No New iPad support...

Downloaded and cannot even open on the new iPad. Please fix ASAP. It opens but the entire screen is enlarged and nothing happens. Hard reset the iPad, no luck, re-downloaded and still no luck. Works on my iPhone, not on my iPad
03-25-2012, 09:26 AM
@sugimulm We are aware of the bug with the new iPad. It has to do with the changes Apple made in iOS and the new Xcode, which we were not expecting. We are working on version 1.2, which will include the fix for the new ipad. I can't promise when it will be available, but we are hoping that it will be available in a weeks time. I will post here when we submit it to Apple for review. Should be a few days after that when it will be live on iTunes.
03-25-2012, 10:35 AM
It might be nice to have some Game Center accomplishments, or other "rewards" given out too, like "Figured out 10 words with no hints!". That type of thing.

Will you be adding more words in the future? I'm really liking the challenge and look forward to seeing more!
03-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANES Works Company View Post
@sugimulm We are aware of the bug with the new iPad. It has to do with the changes Apple made in iOS and the new Xcode, which we were not expecting. We are working on version 1.2, which will include the fix for the new ipad. I can't promise when it will be available, but we are hoping that it will be available in a weeks time. I will post here when we submit it to Apple for review. Should be a few days after that when it will be live on iTunes.
Thank you for addressing the issue, will wait patiently.