★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Gavin Clifton
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 3.5 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Climb aboard, hold on tight, and ride the rails in this fast paced game of skill and lightning fast reactions.

Get the high score by guiding your minecart through a never ending maze of track; collecting treasures and avoiding deadly rock piles and dead ends as you go.

FEATURES
Tilt controls guide your cart along the track.
Continuous, fast paced gameplay.
Collect gold and gems for bonus points.
Avoid deadly rock piles and dead ends.
Use dynamite to blow up any rocks in your way.
Increasing cart speed increases challenge.
High scores saved locally on your device.

GavinClifton's comments:
Hey everyone,

This is a screenshot from my latest project which I've just completed; an action game called Canyon Dash which I've created for iOS devices.

Most of the work was done part time as I had a full time job when I started. Just over half way through the project I found out that the company I worked for wasn't recession proof and was shutting down; leaving me out of a job. With nothing else to do I decided to work on this game full time and get it finished. Being the first game I've ever worked on I'm quite happy with how it came out. Especially the graphics, as being a programmer at heart I don't know the first thing about graphic design. I literally learned all I know about graphics from Feng Zhu and the videos he posts on YouTube

Gameplay involves using the device's tilt controls to steer the little minecart along the track and avoid dead ends and boulders that are in the way. Collecting gold bars and gems increases the players' score and dynamite crates can be collected to blow up the boulders in the way.

To get the look of the game I used OpenGL ES 1.1 and pretty much 99% of the lighting is baked into the textures. The only dynamic lighting is that on the moving objects such as the minecart and the spinning pickups (gold, dynamite crates and gems). Everything else has a single baked texture applied to it and isn't lit by OpenGL at all. This meant that almost everything was rendered in a single pass. The only objects that aren't are the gem pickups; which took two passes to get the specular highlight as bright as I needed it.

I hope you like the game. it's definitely been an interesting and fun project to work on (apart from the times I wanted to throw the computer out the window and cry myself to sleep). I have some updates planned, but my computer decided to die on me the day after release! Fun times If you'd like to know more please visit my website or check out the YouTube video that shows the game being played.

Gavin.

My personal website:
http://www.gavinclifton.com

iTunes Page:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/canyon-dash/id508496430?mt=8

YouTube 'Gameplay' Video:
http://youtu.be/YQIW5gqat9U
03-23-2012, 09:50 PM

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı
DEVELOPERS I ADORE
CAT IN A BOX QUANTUM SHEEP CS54 ONE MINUTE GAMES ELEFTHERIOS CHRISTODOULATOS RAVENOUS GAMES ORANGE PIXEL RADIANGAMES CAVE LLAMASOFT (RIP) MADFINGER PASTA GAMES TOUCH FOO KODE80

03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Looks very decent. Will give it a shot.
03-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Game Impressions

There's a good, simple game here, but it needs (very precise) touch controls. I'd suggest simply tap left/right side of the screen to "pre-load" the upcoming turn. I'm far from a touch control zealot; tilt is perfectly suitable in certain instances, but in this particular one renders the game all but broken.
03-24-2012, 07:30 AM
I've also had someone request swipe controls, where a left swipe will take the next left turn and a right swipe will go right. Though I was unsure whether the player could swipe fast enough to manoeuvre their way through the faster areas of track or not.
I think tapping left or right would work though. Or maybe hold the screen to go left or right. Definitely something to add in the next update.
03-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinClifton View Post
I've also had someone request swipe controls, where a left swipe will take the next left turn and a right swipe will go right. Though I was unsure whether the player could swipe fast enough to manoeuvre their way through the faster areas of track or not.
I think tapping left or right would work though. Or maybe hold the screen to go left or right. Definitely something to add in the next update.
Gabrien has a good suggestion. Left-screen tap moves left, right-screen moves right would be preferable to me, over swipes. Donkey.bas even has a single tap to alternate lanes...

Good luck on your app!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
03-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I liked the tilt controls in Doodle Jump. I thought they got it spot on when it came to precision control using tilt input.

I'll definitely be adding tap/hold controls to the game. Seems it's a wanted feature. It would have made the gameplay video easier to record too. So many reflections when you're moving the device about. Bloody glossy screen :P
03-24-2012, 08:50 PM
I've also never heard of donkey.bas!!
03-25-2012, 10:16 AM
A very early look at the game. This was just a couple of weeks in:

Youtube link | Pop Up