★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Kinwits updated/neuter?

11-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Kinwits updated/neuter?

I recently grabbed kinwits (iTunes) because it got a price drop and was now free.

I wouldn't have picked it up otherwise but I love puzzle games so I thought I'd try it out.

Well I noticed the other day that Kinwits Pro (iTunes) was released to the app store. I didn't think much of it at the time but the original kinwits got an interesting update just now...

New Features:
Touch and Swipe Controls

Limited to 10 Levels as demo version only

------

So it seems if you download this update it neuters the version you have to only 10 levels... I was thinking about downloading it to test it, then delete and restore the old version but I'm wondering if the update might corrupt my old save data

Anyone want to try it and let us know how it goes?

What are your thoughts on devs that might try this in the future?
Giving you a full version game and then turning it into a lite game in an update later.

Would you feel cheated?
or
Is it a good idea so that devs can let lots of people try the full version of the game but then make it a lite version to get sales

Last edited by VeganTnT; 11-17-2008 at 01:34 AM. Reason: added links to both apps
11-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Confirmed.
App deleted and review score lowered.

Was worse than cubicman deluxe/mouse house/mouse about/loopy lab/pathways anyway...

He claimed 70 levels and free for 10 days "all we ask is leave review" etc. It's like a company giving me a free T Shrt with their logo, "for advertising the brand" then asking for it back / cutting of the sleeves and wanting to sell me the same thing I'd been given for free.

I know others won't agree with me, but I've spent nearly $400aud on games in the appstore, and have never felt bitter about pricedrops (I realist there is an early adopter tax for most things) but the devs stance on this is just wrong IMO.

App deleted, won't be shown to friends anymore.

11-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Being tricky makes me uncomfortable

Like you I saw KinWits when it was first released and was interested as it was a puzzle game. But I thought I would wait and purchase later depending on reviews and feedback. So when I saw it was free I grabbed it happy for the chance to try it out.

In the iTunes listing, the developer pleaded for feedback (in great big capital letters if I remember correctly). So I played through the first 15 levels and sent them an email with feedback on what I liked and what I thought needed improvement (just for the record I didn't hear back from the developer about my feedback). I then left an honest and objective review in iTunes. It is the same review I would have left regardless of the plea for feedback and it is the same review I would have left if I had only played a lite version restricted to 10 levels (it might still be up as it takes 24 hours to remove reviews).

When I saw the new KinWits Pro listed I suspected that they might change the original to a lite version, particularly as the new version also had 70 levels.

I must admit that this tactic that the developer has used makes me uncomfortable. If they wanted to release a lite version with only 10 levels then they should have done so. There was no need to make the full version free and then turn it into a level restricted lite version once they were happy with the reviews that people left in iTunes and the feedback they had received on how to improve the game.

KinWits is a unique puzzle game. It can be very challenging and I have been enjoying it very much. But when I saw the changes I removed my iTunes review. I'm uncomfortable about how the developer has gone about this because it is tricky. There was no need for them to be tricky.

I might put my review back up depending on how I feel about this in the longer term.

Maybe they are just naive developers that are new to concepts of marketing, developer, customer support, lite versions, etc.

I understand that game and app developers need to see a return on their investment. But being tricky is not the way to go about it. I would hate to see this become something that lots of developers do.

And I am left with a question: What about those people who paid for KinWits? Do they get a refund? Does Apple care? Does the developer care? Or is it OK to rip people off?
11-17-2008, 03:14 AM
wasn't it free on launch? If not then those who paid are entitled to a refund.

If this becomes the norm, devs may start making 0.99c apps into a demo down the track, removing features. It isn't on.

I'm not being cheap, like you say it's tricky and makes me uncomfortable.

I've spent more than I can really afford on the appstore.
11-17-2008, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
What about those people who paid for KinWits? Do they get a refund? Does Apple care? Does the developer care? Or is it OK to rip people off?
I was JUST thinking that! It was selling for 1.99 (the same price as PRO) before it went free.

The other thing I wanted to mention, and which I forgot to in my original post, is that this is not the devs first time distributing this game. I had a friend who had it on his Sidekick LX. I was thinking about getting it for mine but it was 3.99 =/

I'm just kinda shocked at this because it seems like a bait and switch to me
11-17-2008, 03:42 AM
yes,

here's the sequence

http://appshopper.com/games/kinwits

seems very sketchy to me unless they sold 0 copies at $1.99 (unlikely)

arn
11-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Is there any way to decline an update?

The update notification for kinwits is just sitting in itunes and it annoys me that I can't use "update all" anymore.

11-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Out of luck

VegantTnT - I think you are out of luck. I don't believe you can decline the update. You'll have to pick and choose the updates if you don't want to update KinWits.
11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I believe the same tactics are used for Rescue Angels. Needless to say I won't be downloading from this publisher.
11-17-2008, 05:10 PM
well I came damn close to updating all earlier today, but I've still got the old version. but honestly, with nearly 20 updates in my itunes right now, this game is not worth the hassle of downloading them all one by one. I got stuck on level seven and pretty much lost interest.