★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Does Apple have a problem with FPS games?

11-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Does Apple have a problem with FPS games?

I mean, there's about 4 or 5 that I'm so excited about it but it seems they're never coming out. Is it a patent issue? Apple wanting to wait for the holidays?

Damnit, I want Quake!
11-17-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm sure in a few months people will be complaining that there are too many FPS games out. Patience, they're coming....

11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
im sick of fp's on the iphone....what are you talking about
they are worse than match 3 games
11-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
im sick of fp's on the iphone....what are you talking about
they are worse than match 3 games
sawry i'm just getting ready for what i am going to say in January.....its always a good idea to practice...practice...practice
11-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Screw FPS i want a fancy Sudoku
11-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Meh.

Gotta agree with you really - Cube's been waiting for submission for a month and a half, and quake's been waiting for about 20 ish days.

I can see why Quake might be rejected, the whole copyright thing isn't gonna please apple. Cube wants to be open source which apple are still touchy about even though they've lifted the NDA. Hill billy and zombie mansion look quite likely to actually make it, but they're still being made.

Grrr. I want an FPS.
11-17-2008, 10:55 AM
I feel like if Apple wants to be serious about competing with DS and PSP, they have to release these FPS games, since those are so ridiculously popular on other consoles. If the ports are good, I really believe people will buy the ipod touches (maybe even switch over to iphones) just to play those, ESPECIALLY if those games are free (not sure how that's going to work out)
11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I can't figure out why people are excited about having an FPS game on the iPhone. Sure the perspective is good for showing off graphics, but none of the video clips so far have shown any indication that the available controls would work for that genre.

The control schemes that use screen buttons for everything work fine if the gameplay is designed with the idea that the player has the agility of a bulldozer. (i.e. Tank Duel)

Tilt to move is alright if the level design is spacious, but unless shooting at enemies is fully auto-aimed, it'll be awkward to tilt and tap at the same time.

In any case, having an FPS on the iPhone would be almost sane if the player is limited to Doom-level controls. But would that style of gameplay meet the expectations of people who are screaming for Quake?

So I remain skeptical. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, though.
11-17-2008, 11:11 AM
you're right Frand. bring on the sudoku
11-17-2008, 11:13 AM
there really aren't that many mature games (not that FPS games are all that mature anyway) on the iphone so I really believe these platforms can find a whole new audience.

Hell, if people bought the Xbox just for HALO, then I can definitely see people doing the same for these FPS games. Are there any good ones for the DS and PSP anyway?