★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: What's Up with the Tower Defense Onslaught?

05-15-2009, 09:04 PM
What's Up with the Tower Defense Onslaught?

I'm sure many of you have noticed that since the very conception of the App Store one genre of games has been increadibly common (Match 3 is a different story for a different place and a different time): Tower Defense.

First of all I pose the question that must be on everyone's minds: How different can these games get? Here's the recipe for the basic Tower Defense game: Prevent Enemy A from reaching Checkpoint B with these towers. Here's some money, some towers and a pat on the head. Have fun!

I mean, it's understandable that there are some differences, for instance some different towers that do "revolutionary things" (ZOMG! They actually damage the enemy this time!) and maybe different paths to take but overall it's the same old song and dance.

Occasionally there is a story, but that's not always gauranteed and if there is a story, it's definitely not an Award Winning one.

Which brings us to the question: Why are there so many Tower Defense games?

For Options? Majority of the Tower Defenses are almost exactly alike in every way. Why spend money for something you already have? I know I wouldn't buy the same computer I currently have for no reason (NOTE TO SELF: Buy a BETTER computer)!

Anyways, I leave you all to ponder that. Discuss, Object, Deficate on the Property the choice is yours. I leave you with a little nugget of information from a man who knows absolutely nothing of what he is talking about. Just kidding.
05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
This has been discussed before Also with match-3 games.

The latest trend is traffic lights game - 4 out and one coming. Traffic Lights, then Gridlocked, then Road Rage, etc.

Don't check this site or private messages often.

05-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Where did Tower Defence games originate? Warcraft 3.
There are plenty of TDs there. It's that people like the concept that they're willing to play.
Same with match-3 games, it's just stress relief and mindless time-killing. There's a market for those, and devs just constantly try for new aspects that might gain the attention of the masses.
05-15-2009, 09:11 PM
TD games work out well for the touch screen, I think thats also a deciding factor for developers when deciding what gameplay they're going with.

Plus, whats popular is whats popular, if people continue to be highly interested in TD games, then they will continue to be made.

Didn't starcraft have 'use map setting games' that were considered Tower Defense before warcraft 3?

Currently Playing::Meteor Blitz, EW Jim, Boost 3D, COD: Zombies, Eliminate::
05-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Personally, it's the graphical style to me that sets them all apart. I await the day when a premium TD game comes out with more than 4 or 5 maps, though. Most great TD games are plagued with that shortcoming (except GeoDefense).
Each game has something new to bring to the table in most cases.

GeoDefense - slick retro look with crisp smooth graphics. Unque towers and enemies that really require a good amount of skill to beat a level correctly

Sentinel - great graphics, great enemy design and tower design. Can be a bit uninspired, but the multi-level maps are nice. Online rankings are a great addition

Dungeon Defense - unique way of going about TD games, I only played it once, so I don't know much more about it aside from set deployment positions the enemy army actually stops during it's march to the base. They fight against your deployed 'towers' and can kill them as well.

7 Cities - unique upgrade system. The further you progress through the story, the more of those red gems you get that can be used to alter how your towers upgrade

FieldRunners - overhyped, but pretty. It's definitely fun, but lacks in maps and towers

Elemental TD - Unique playing-card design. The more of a certain enemy you destroy, you can unlock them to play in battle. I want to say there are about 50 cards to unlock in total, so definitely the most expanded game in way of unit/enemy type. 5 maps with different 'phases'. Challenging as well.

Creeps - Fun cartoony style to it, fun enemy and tower design, brings a unique look to the 'serious' looking TD scene.

These obviously aren't all the available TD games out there, but imo, they are the best available. My favorite is Elemental TD.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper

Last edited by VoodooVyper; 05-15-2009 at 09:19 PM.
05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Probably because they just work so damn well on this particular (touch-based) platform. They're based on strategy over lightning-fast reflexes and (the good ones) are a surprisingly perfect mix of a casual and intense gaming experience. Complex controls are out, simplicity is in (touch to place a tower, touch to upgrade, touch to sell, etc). They also have that tangible 'I bet I could beat it if I tweaked my layout just so; lemme play once more then I'm stopping for sure this time'. Also the best TD games are as much fun to watch as to play; in other words once you achieve a really good layout and can cruise through a few levels untouched, it's great fun just watching the action (cue Dungeon Defense for my favorite example of that).
05-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by GaiaIllusion View Post
Where did Tower Defence games originate? Warcraft 3.

eh...not really. there were td games out before this, a few even in old school arcades.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*
05-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Well....personally I think it's just because it's easy to code and easy to make money (fairly popular). You just have different stages, make the graphic, you don't even need to balance it you might be able to just take other games and take their percentage or whatever out of it, and you got yourself a Tower Defense.
05-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I can't believe you think pie is better than cake. Cake is TOTALLY better! Discuss.

Last edited by RegularStormy; 05-15-2009 at 11:39 PM.
05-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Whats the best TD?

I have a couple but cant buy them all.