★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Nenad Katic
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 20.5 MB
  • Version: 1.01
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (2)
App description: "SpinUp is a pixel-candy multitouch neo-arcade classic for iPad."
-game designer's Mom

"Spin Up is one of the most creative high-score games we've ever played... A Must Have!"
- Slide To Play

4.5/5 "Spin Up takes that standard formula and adds in a unique take and control scheme, making the entire concept feel totally fresh once again.
- Gamezebo

"Mesmerizing.
That's just about the only way I can describe Spin Up if I only had one word."
- G4TV, Best Mobile Games Weekly

Welcome to this frantic and dizzying action game that takes pure, raw fun of early arcade games into the new age of multitouch wonder!

Here's what's in for you:
unique yet instantly familiar "DJ-like" gameplay
frenetically paced and challenging fun
career mode with unlockable characters
screenful of pixel candy visuals of geeky SCI-FI environments
weapons, power-ups and nasty alien mutants
compete with your friends over Game Center
we'll keep updating with new characters and scenarios
compatible with new iPad with retina screen

The story begins like this:

"No one would have believed in middle of the 21st century,
that as we busied ourselves about our daily concerns,
our obsolete machines were secretly being transformed
by intelligences far greater than our own."

Can you raise up to the challenge and save the Earth ( again ) ?
03-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Even though it has yet to show up here, the images I saw looked fun.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

03-27-2012, 07:06 PM
That does look pretty cool! Look forward to see some more info of the app!
03-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Impressions

It's not often I come across a game concept that actually feels even somewhat fresh and original, but this is one such instance. It's also solid and well put together technically - I just can't help feeling like it needs to have been fleshed out more. The problem is, there's just not a whole lot happening beyond the core gameplay, meaning that you'll discover pretty much all there is to the game on your first or second go. After that, it becomes a matter of just climbing higher. Why? If you're asking yourself that question, in any game, there's a problem. There's an even bigger problem if you struggle to come up with an answer.

Your character "levels up" as you go along, but neither the process (bashing monsters and destroying computers) nor the rewards feel particularly satisfying.

To sum up: A fresh concept that works well, but the gameplay is neither visually nor aurally appealing enough to sustain its repetitive nature for long, nor deep, varied, or rewarding enough to appeal on those merits.
03-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Quote:
It's not often I come across a game concept that actually feels even somewhat fresh and original, but this is one such instance. It's also solid and well put together technically - I just can't help feeling like it needs to have been fleshed out more. The problem is, there's just not a whole lot happening beyond the core gameplay, meaning that you'll discover pretty much all there is to the game on your first or second go. After that, it becomes a matter of just climbing higher. Why? If you're asking yourself that question, in any game, there's a problem. There's an even bigger problem if you struggle to come up with an answer.

Your character "levels up" as you go along, but neither the process (bashing monsters and destroying computers) nor the rewards feel particularly satisfying.

To sum up: A fresh concept that works well, but the gameplay is neither visually nor aurally appealing enough to sustain its repetitive nature for long, nor deep, varied, or rewarding enough to appeal on those merits.
So what do you get for leveling up and what is gameplay like? From the pictures I assume you are aligning ladders in a layered vertical tube, right?

My iTunes Reviews
03-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
So what do you get for leveling up and what is gameplay like? From the pictures I assume you are aligning ladders in a layered vertical tube, right?
That's right. You align yourself with a ladder to climb higher, a computer to break it, or a monster to kill it. In order to do the latter you have to be carrying a weapon. Oterwise you need to avoid the monster instead. For leveling up you get: "more of the same, but better." Ability to carry two weapons instead of one. Two jet packs instead of one. Three weapons instead of two. Etcetera. Your weight also changes which affects how long you can hang from broken ladders, and you get to begin your ascent at a higher starting point.
03-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Quote:
That's right. You align yourself with a ladder to climb higher, a computer to break it, or a monster to kill it. In order to do the latter you have to be carrying a weapon. Oterwise you need to avoid the monster instead. For leveling up you get: "more of the same, but better." Ability to carry two weapons instead of one. Two jet packs instead of one. Three weapons instead of two. Etcetera. Your weight also changes which affects how long you can hang from broken ladders, and you get to begin your ascent at a higher starting point.
Any meaningful difference in enemy or weapons?

My iTunes Reviews
03-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Any meaningful difference in enemy or weapons?
Not really. Weapons appear to be just cosmetic. Some enemies move a little faster than others.
03-28-2012, 12:34 AM