Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Has anyone played both on the Mac and can compare Avadon vs. Avernum?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Well, couldn't help myself grabbing this, and it's just as it appeared. Avadon all over again. Same engine, same menu system, same combat system, different story. In a nutshell, that's what you're getting. Whether that is a good thing or not depends on your perspective. For mine, I think they're both very good games, but if you've not yet finished one, (and want more of the same) there's probably not much point in getting the other - which was precisely the qualm I had.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshou View Post
Is this game related to avadon or is it a whole new serie? Didnt play avadon yet but im planning to do so!
It uses similar engine, but story is completely different.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
It uses similar engine, but story is completely different.
Exactly,but i think its story,quests and character building is why rpg fans love these games so much,i like that you can create a party of four right from the start rather than collect two more along the way as you did in Avadon.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
=Captive;2209112]Exactly,but i think its story,quests and character building is why rpg fans love these games so much,i like that you can create a party of four right from the start rather than collect two more along the way as you did in Avadon.
I think it is a matter of extent. I just spent an hour or so with this game, and the bottom line is it just feels too familiar. It isn't "similar" to Avadon, it fees like I am playing the exact same game.

Now, obviously both games are ports, and I've no idea how they fall chronologically as far as their original releases go, or indeed how many others have been churned out with the same cookie cutter. However, when viewed within the context of their existence on the iOS, particularly in light of the fact that this is supposed to be an entirely different game as opposed to a sequel, it strikes me as being a tremendously lazy, bordering on cynical, effort.

Now, we can either take the "beggars can't be choosers" stance, (yes, both of these games are currently without similar competition on the iOS) or dare to ask for more. I'm drawn towards the latter.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM
iPad Air, iOS 5.x

I must be very app-attuned. Earlier today I was just remembering Spiderweb's promise of another iPad game in the New Year
Old 04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Ugh...my GOTW?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Default Great addition to the Avernum Saga!

You have to love RPG's like this that come with little warning. It's phenomenal, extremely long, and offers a ton of content for the price of a movie ticket.

Avadon was wonerful. It offered everything this new title offers, but if you've beaten it, moved on, etc. than it's about time to get invested in Avernum: it has a totally new story, new characters, and new gameplay / character elements. This game looks wonderful on the new iPad, and offers so much depth and story-rich content you'd have to have hated Avadon to not want to get this new entry...

Is it a completely different game engine, NO, but it is a completely different game. So if familiarity in game engines scares you, then by all means save your money for Baulder's Gate which should be arriving late this summer or in the Fall.

Personally I'll be buying both, and Avernum: Escape From the Pit will hopefully hold me over until another great RPG comes out! And from the looks of it nothing like this is even close on the horizon.

Last edited by Zedd2011; 04-03-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 AM
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

what people see interesting in this game
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

i haven't played avadon or avernum yet, but if i had to choose one, which should i go with?? should i just jump into avernum to be part of the crowd playing currently and be able to talk about it?? does one game have a more engaging or darker story than the other??

seeing as how the gameplay and engines are similar, maybe someone out there has played enough to shed some light and let us who haven't played and are on the fence between the two make a better decision??