Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-08-2012, 01:31 AM
iPad

P.S. A brilliant idea would be to "cheat", by telling people they are competing against others of their level, but really matching them with ghosts of players at a lower level, so virtually everyone can "win". I think you'd have tremendous user approval, until perhaps you get found out....
Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 AM

Choosing 3 Trinkets sure reminded me of having to choose between 3 heroes in the Bug Heroes.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:38 AM

David, if most people thought like u, say goodbye to baseball, basketball, competitive anything in general.

The one thing that unites many people is the belief that, if given the right opportunity, time, and place, they too can be a winner/successful/at the top.

In a racing game, they were able to disperse the the ability of being at the top, to within smaller groups, and the population as a whole, providing many opportunities to be "a winner."

And for those who dont like the whole competition thing, there is still the pseudo rpg elements, such as levelling up your ship, trinkets, and bonuses, that are the driving force of most every appstore game from temple run to infinity blade.

Not really sure of what yer point is, but this is the rubbish that yer ideas caused me to spit out.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:39 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

W00t! I'm rank number 6 over all in the first lvl. haha...
Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

@Mook: Agreed.

The only weakness I can see with the system, is that the player needs only to gear themselves up for one top run. Consistency, the true test of skill, is not rewarded.

EDIT: To clarify, what I mean is: take one of the heavily clouded levels as an example. If equipping a trinket will afford me the fastest time so long as I am able to avoid all clouds, even if I am only able to avoid all clouds once out of 20 runs on average, (or 50, or 100) that trinket is the one that I am encouraged to equip. Even if equipping one that will let me navigate through the clouds safely will net me a much better time each time, without approaching the absolute best.

Last edited by Gabrien; 04-08-2012 at 02:03 AM..
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 AM
iPhone 5s

7.5k for best upgrades at least for powerups, that is really a lot. i dont want even calculate how long it will take to upgrade all needed stuff. it would be just fair if there would be description of what upgrades do to powerups, trinkets and engines. city map is something, wanted to smash my iphone onto the wall, sometimes is so clouded lol. btw if there are a lot of clouds than the game is very laggy. at least on my iphone. also small complaint about clouds, the edges of the clouds are not visible until you almost run into it, a bit annoying. i know you think more about usa market but having tournament ending time at night here in europa is not that good too.

edit: upgraded all slots and tried magnet and coin furnace, nice combination.

Last edited by eev; 04-08-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 AM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookmonster View Post
David, if most people thought like u, say goodbye to baseball, basketball, competitive anything in general.
I think it would be better if more people thought like me, but it wouldn't be the end of sports. There are kids all over the country who play sports with no ambition to be the best. Sometimes it does get competitive as you describe, and that reduces participation. There's a winnowing out in many high schools where kids who want to play sports can't even "make the team". Surely that's not *increasing* participation.

I don't disagree that breaking players up into very small groups so that, statistically, everyone will win sometimes no matter how well or badly they play, is an effective way to make people feel good about the game. As you go to leaderboards with hundreds or thousands of people, although those are great for motivating TA forum posters, who are likely to be at the top of those lists, I don't think they do much for the average player (even if it weren't for the forged scores problem).
Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Well my issue isnt so much that I dislike the group tournament system, its that it seems you are always matched up against someone better, and whether thats one lucky run of theirs or what, it just seems that first place goal is a very difficult one to reach.

I would in no way change or diminish the tournaments, but when all I am competing against are others best times it makes it seem like the improvements I have made are not all that great when they dont net me wins. I guess what im saying is that always competing against others best runs can be a bit discouraging as I can have what I feel is a great run for me, yet still end up in 3rd, WAY behind the other two ghost racers.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

SKY GNOMES
is one of the nominees for
Touch Arcade Game of the Week
04/04/2012

Do you like to test gnomes' snow engines & piloting skills against harsh weather & thousands of competitors?

VOTE HERE

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -
Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me this. I currently only have the Boost power-up upgraded, so that is the ONLY power up I can see during a race. I'm wondering if I upgrade other power-ups will they take the place of my Boost power-up during a race? or is it guaranteed that it will either be a Boost or some other power-up? Cause I really don't wanna kill my time on something so small as having some other power-up take the place of the Boost power-up.