Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Asasnator Asasnator is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma, OKC
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eev View Post
update is out and new acceleration gnome is really something with hat, magnet and furnace, really fast. and devs, could you be so kind and say something about lags on cloudy maps?
yeah hes alright, only beneficial on the Forest Cup, otherwise I would recommend sticking with the normal Gnomey. The Girly is a complete waste of parts and gold, don't bother upgrading her. She is essentially Gnomey but worse.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Foursaken_Media's Avatar
Foursaken_Media Foursaken_Media is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eev View Post
update is out and new acceleration gnome is really something with hat, magnet and furnace, really fast. and devs, could you be so kind and say something about lags on cloudy maps?
Yeah... but he'll need every bit of that acceleration boost because of his terrible top speed We've tried as best as possible to make all the new characters simply different ways to play... NOT be better (or worse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asasnator View Post
yeah hes alright, only beneficial on the Forest Cup, otherwise I would recommend sticking with the normal Gnomey. The Girly is a complete waste of parts and gold, don't bother upgrading her. She is essentially Gnomey but worse.
hmmm, how so?
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Asasnator Asasnator is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma, OKC
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursaken_Media View Post
Yeah... but he'll need every bit of that acceleration boost because of his terrible top speed We've tried as best as possible to make all the new characters simply different ways to play... NOT be better (or worse).



hmmm, how so?
Unless girly has some sort of side effect that I don't know about, she is not worth it. All her character is, is essentially taking one out of afterburner (which is AMAZING) and adding it to acceleration, which only helps out how far you boost at the initial beginning, while afterburner helps you the ENTIRE race, so that was a bad choice of relocating stats IMO. Though I guess that depends on your playing style, but if you like ACC, go with Skinny, if you want speed/afterburner go with Gnomey.

If you want to make a good character (in my opinion), relocate the efficiency and acceleration points and add them to speed and afterburner. Maybe something like this 7 Speed, 3 Acceleration, 7 afterburner, 3 Efficiency. This will total the 20 points your trying keep. With this character, I could have some fun (at least the way I play). ;p

Last edited by Asasnator; 04-25-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Foursaken_Media's Avatar
Foursaken_Media Foursaken_Media is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,643
Default

Keep in mind we do have at least 3 more characters coming in the future. You'll probably like Bruiser, who has 10 speed I won't spill the beans on the other characters yet, but we've got some that are REALLY different (not just differences in stats).

But yeah, Girly is a slightly easier to use character (over Gnomey), as she has to collect a tad bit less flakes, and will get that extra head start. We purposefully wanted her to be similar to Gnomey, being the only female character. There is not a 20 point balance necessarily... some, like Efficiency are not on a 1-1 ratio with a stat like speed for ex. We think we hit a good balance point with most of the characters, but will watch for balance issues of course.

Last edited by Foursaken_Media; 04-25-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Asasnator Asasnator is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma, OKC
Posts: 331
Default

you said she was a beginner character? I thought she cost 10000 gold..no beginner can afford that. Or was that only Skinny that cost that much? Well anyways, I guess she could be more of a beginner character...

10 speed aya? Hm...well that does sound pretty cool, but I think that might be a little on the high side..lol that means their are only 10 left to allocate to the rest of the stats, unless your planning on just making some really good characters that only end-game players will be able to afford and that have more then 20 total stat points, which I'm all for, seeing as I have like a ton of everything with nothing to spend it on. Though I would like to see sooner or later a character that focuses on speed and afterburner (but not entirely), that would be a fun character IMO. =]

Last edited by Asasnator; 04-25-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Asasnator Asasnator is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma, OKC
Posts: 331
Default

haha, I bet Jackifus really hates me right now. =p w00t first ever to break the 16 second mark, I have a record of 15.90 seconds on that race now =]

Last edited by Asasnator; 04-28-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Asasnator Asasnator is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma, OKC
Posts: 331
Default

Wow, just noticed that I'm now able to see the power-up through clouds, awesome job! I don't know if was in the update or if it something you just changed server side. Glad to see your taking some of the ideas on here! =] Would also be nice though if we could see the power-ups through the that blimp thing that gives out coins. Kinda hard to get the power-ups when your blinded by the blimp..lol

Another issue I have noticed is that sometimes when I start a race off with Skinny, and I try to hit a power-up...sometimes I just go right through it and nothing happens. I don't know if it is because I'm going too fast or if it is because the game is treating it as a cloud or something and I just go right through it without any effect happening...kinda weird.

And...another issue. I've noticed that the "ghosts" of the other player's times, the ghosts actually go faster then that time. But it's different with each character. For Gnomey, their "ghost's" times are actually 1 full second faster then the actual time the player completed the race. And for Skinny, their ghosts are close to 2 or 3 seconds faster then their actual time. So it becomes impossible to beat them when players start getting 16 or 17 seconds and their ghosts get 13 or 14 seconds.

Last edited by Asasnator; 04-28-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 AM
Darth Ronfar Darth Ronfar is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LA
Posts: 928
Default

Edit* ok I made this way to confusing by mixing up clouds with snowflakes so whenever I say cloud I mean snowflake. Also I realize that while this setup can dominate the first 3 cups (or 2 atleast)the last one can be more versatile.. And if more longer maps are made then maybe this would help enough, but since everyone has benn using that to win and make money they don't know what else to use or how to play its the hardest and finAl race and theres not enough ensintive to ever want to play it.(nothing else to unlock etc)This still doesn't adress the lack of use with the snowflake trinkets such as the one that gives u a burst of speed, the one that helps u link them easier(smokestack) and thr one that holds more? This all relates to my previous thing about not learning about snowflake combing and just focusing on coins and power ups.... With the magnet/furnace setup I have no incentive to use the snowflake trinkets and when I do try to use them they feel like I'm doing nothing, I guess what I meant before was I wish u could see how many snowflakes u needed to give u the boost or however it works. Most players want coins and never learn how to combo snowflakes and that's kind of how I feel, like that's all I've focused on and not on snowflake comboing. When u think about it why are coins in a strait line while snowflakEs are scattered? Coins should be scattered and snowflakes more connected in lines(but that doesn't make much sense either) it's hard to explain exactly what I'm saying but I guess it's there's not enough inceptive on collecting snowflakes or even using trinkets to help u because coins are always the better option until I guess thr last stage and even then it's not about snowflakes but the other stuff.

Awhile back someone said why doesn't anyone play the last cup and the reason is because everything uve learned playing with the furnace/magnet setup comes into to jeopardy with all the other distractions... Then they don't know what to equip and have never payed attention combing snowflakes just trying to hurry up and collect coins to be the fastest. I say this because snowflakes should help u prepare for doding other things in the later stages but coins are always more important.
__________________________________________________ _____

Ok, so I think the coin-furnace/magnet combo needs to be nerfed... It's obvious the best eqiup for beginners and this seems to never stop as coins are always better and easier to collect plus they give u coins. Theres no reason for using any of the trinkets that promote hitting clouds, for one there's only one sure way to get clouds automTicly And that's threw the powerup and it just doesn't make sense to do anything besides equipping the the funCe Nd mAgnet + whatever... Then collect a few clouds or power ups in-between spurts of getting coins which are all in a strait line already.

I guess maybe in the later levels it becomes less efective and more of the lower trinkets can be used but all the cloud powers seem to be a waste.

I have a few ideas for the furnace make it have a threshold that once u past it simply overhearts and backfires in some way. This will prevent people from using the magnet along with it because that setup will now become too risky but still usable except that it could backfire. The furnace alone allows u to avoid coins and the magnet alone never gives u that insane advantage...

That's my main idea to stop that combo and if not like that exactly then make thr dropoffs from the coin deliverer more random. Put and emphasis on being rewarded for collecing more clouds in a row while dodging or using other projectiles to ur advantage... And less on coins...there should be a point when coins don't matter as much and u don't need them but the fastest setup in the game is also the one that gives u the most money and is the easiest to pull off break up this trinket combo and all the other ones will actually be usefull till then no-ones going to stop and the game will be limited by something broken.

Last edited by Darth Ronfar; 04-29-2012 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: S
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:13 AM
Gabrien Gabrien is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ronfar View Post
it's hard to explain exactly what I'm saying but I guess it's there's not enough inceptive on collecting snowflakes or even using trinkets to help u because coins are always the better option until I guess thr last stage and even then it's not about snowflakes but the other stuff
I understand what you're trying to say, and agree. About the problem anyway; I think the solution is more complicated than "nerfing" a single power-up combo.

By the way, while I'm here: pretty underwhelmed about the new characters; I guess I didn't expect to need to grind to build their skills up from scratch, and am not really prepared to do that just on the chance they might be fun to play in the end. New characters should equal new fun. Right away. Not hours of grinding with your old character just to bring the new ones up to par. Unless they're there as incentives to spend on IAP? Just saying I hoped the update would renew my interest in the game but it has done no such thing.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Asasnator Asasnator is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma, OKC
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ronfar View Post
Edit* ok I made this way to confusing by mixing up clouds with snowflakes so whenever I say cloud I mean snowflake. Also I realize that while this setup can dominate the first 3 cups (or 2 atleast)the last one can be more versatile.. And if more longer maps are made then maybe this would help enough, but since everyone has benn using that to win and make money they don't know what else to use or how to play its the hardest and finAl race and theres not enough ensintive to ever want to play it.(nothing else to unlock etc)This still doesn't adress the lack of use with the snowflake trinkets such as the one that gives u a burst of speed, the one that helps u link them easier(smokestack) and thr one that holds more? This all relates to my previous thing about not learning about snowflake combing and just focusing on coins and power ups.... With the magnet/furnace setup I have no incentive to use the snowflake trinkets and when I do try to use them they feel like I'm doing nothing, I guess what I meant before was I wish u could see how many snowflakes u needed to give u the boost or however it works. Most players want coins and never learn how to combo snowflakes and that's kind of how I feel, like that's all I've focused on and not on snowflake comboing. When u think about it why are coins in a strait line while snowflakEs are scattered? Coins should be scattered and snowflakes more connected in lines(but that doesn't make much sense either) it's hard to explain exactly what I'm saying but I guess it's there's not enough inceptive on collecting snowflakes or even using trinkets to help u because coins are always the better option until I guess thr last stage and even then it's not about snowflakes but the other stuff.

Awhile back someone said why doesn't anyone play the last cup and the reason is because everything uve learned playing with the furnace/magnet setup comes into to jeopardy with all the other distractions... Then they don't know what to equip and have never payed attention combing snowflakes just trying to hurry up and collect coins to be the fastest. I say this because snowflakes should help u prepare for doding other things in the later stages but coins are always more important.
__________________________________________________ _____

Ok, so I think the coin-furnace/magnet combo needs to be nerfed... It's obvious the best eqiup for beginners and this seems to never stop as coins are always better and easier to collect plus they give u coins. Theres no reason for using any of the trinkets that promote hitting clouds, for one there's only one sure way to get clouds automTicly And that's threw the powerup and it just doesn't make sense to do anything besides equipping the the funCe Nd mAgnet + whatever... Then collect a few clouds or power ups in-between spurts of getting coins which are all in a strait line already.

I guess maybe in the later levels it becomes less efective and more of the lower trinkets can be used but all the cloud powers seem to be a waste.

I have a few ideas for the furnace make it have a threshold that once u past it simply overhearts and backfires in some way. This will prevent people from using the magnet along with it because that setup will now become too risky but still usable except that it could backfire. The furnace alone allows u to avoid coins and the magnet alone never gives u that insane advantage...

That's my main idea to stop that combo and if not like that exactly then make thr dropoffs from the coin deliverer more random. Put and emphasis on being rewarded for collecing more clouds in a row while dodging or using other projectiles to ur advantage... And less on coins...there should be a point when coins don't matter as much and u don't need them but the fastest setup in the game is also the one that gives u the most money and is the easiest to pull off break up this trinket combo and all the other ones will actually be usefull till then no-ones going to stop and the game will be limited by something broken.
I entirely disagree with you. If they nerf that combo, my times will NEVER I repeat, NEVER be beaten. And that would just be stupid. What they should do instead is make longer levels, cause your correct the longer a level is the less effective that combo is. Which I'm sure very few people have figured out, I mean like I'm next to the only one getting under 40 seconds on the night cup regularly. Or they could simply just make the other trinkets better? They shouldn't ever nerf anything, cause then there goes anyone's chances at beating my times. (Also I was the person who asked the question as to why no one ever does the Night Cup)

You should consider everything before stating something like that, because its not like you don't have the same chances as the rest of us for getting good times. Whenever your playing a game that is based on your "best time" and then you nerf that best combo, you really screw over the game hardcore. So that is a VERY VERY bad idea. You only should ever buff the underpowered trinkets, NEVER nerf the better trinkets.

Also, I think you said something about making the blimp things more random with releasing coins? Just FYI they are already pretty random...I've played this a lot and trust me they are random. Sometimes the blimp will release the coins like RIGHT after I hit a check point and sometimes they will release the coins near the next checkpoint/landing platform. It's pretty random for me at least.

Last edited by Asasnator; 04-29-2012 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent