★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Control Schemes

11-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Control Schemes

I was thinking that it would be a help to the devs if we post control schemes that we would like or are working on for a particular game / genre of game. I'll start (mine are control-freakishly detailed XD):
  • FPS: Look is controlled by accelerometer, you have a circle in the bottom left which controls movement based on where your finger is on the circle edge, tap that circle to jump, button on the right to fire and one to change weps, player info (health, sheilds, suit energy etc.) on the top left and a mini-map on the top right. Menu button invisible, just tap the top of the screen in the middle. Buttons must not obscure HUD.
  • RTS: Tap to select units, tap + drag to select multiple, tap on area to move there, tap on enemies to attack, when a unit is selected a bar down the side of the screen appears which has the special abilities of that unit (if the unit is a builder / constructor, when you click on the build ability a menu scrolls from the right hand side onto the screen with the buildable things on it, same thing applies for buildings that can create units).
  • RPG: Look is controlled by accelerometer, you have a circle in the bottom left which controls movement based on where your finger is on the circle edge, tap that circle to jump, a bar on the right hand side of the screen with abilities (attack, special attack, cast spell etc. {user customizable}), on the top left there are 2 buttons one for pause menu and one for equip / inventory menu that also allows you to change the right hand side buttons.
  • SIM: Tap to select building / person, tap again to bring up menu, tap somewhere to move the character, tap on a nearby object to bring up the interactivity menu, in build mode a menu on the bottom on the screen of parts (tap on a part and drag into the game window, for walls you tap on the wall type in the menu then you tap and drag in the game world to place it).
  • Editor (this applies to game editors such as the CryEngine2): Look is controlled by accelerometer, you have a circle in the bottom left which controls movement based on where your finger is on the circle edge, above that circle are + and - buttons to move the camera up and down, a button in the top right makes a menu scroll out from the right hand side that contains the various editing modes (Object editor, Terrain editor, A.I. / Character editor, Code editor, Particles editor), tapping on one of these modes brings up a new menu with the toll associated with that mode:
    • Object: Place object, object library, model editor
    • Terrain: Push/pull, Road / Stream editor, Texture editor, Solids tool
    • A.I. / Character: Model editor, Face editor, A.I. path editor, place A.I.
    • Code: Code window, Execute code ingame, Flowgraph editor, Script editor
    • Particles: Particle placer, Particle Library
There, thats my 2 cents,
Haephestos

Last edited by Haephestos; 11-18-2008 at 05:54 AM.
11-18-2008, 02:49 AM
No one interested?

11-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Too specific And I agree with look being an accelerometer thing for 3D games, but not 2D.
11-18-2008, 03:12 AM
But if we want to turn this into a developer change request thread, sure

Mouse House:
I agree with the idea of touching in the direction you want to go to move the character. It should NOT, however, be relative, as this becomes really tedious when you near an edge of the screen. Split the screen into 4 invisible triangles and leave it at that (or at least make this an option).
Up
Left X Right
Down

The controls are the only reason I don't recommend the game to people.
11-18-2008, 03:47 AM
What is wrong with specific? Anyway, I said mine were control freakish.
11-18-2008, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haephestos View Post
[*]FPS: Look is controlled by accelerometer, you have a circle in the bottom right which controls movement based on where your finger is on the circle edge, tap that circle to jump, button on the right to fire and one to change weps, player info (health, sheilds, suit energy etc.) on the top left and a mini-map on the top right. Menu button invisible, just tap the top of the screen in the middle. Buttons must not obscure HUD.
I think what Oticon6 meant is you can't say how you'd prefer a RPG, RTS, or Sim game to control because each game is different- they may have different view points as well as gameplay. So it's pointless discussing these.
As for your fps control, it is inadequate. You have movement, jumping, firing and changing weapons all on the right hand side. So you can't move and fire at the same time.

Fire and change weapons should be on one side, while walking forwards/backwards and strafing left/right should be via a virtual d-pad on the other side. I also think the option should be there to reverse this so the player can choose which side they want to press to fire etc.
11-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Oops, I meant left. Thanks for pointing that out (edited). Also it seems as if I have no explained the aim of the thread clearly enough. The aim is to fnd out how they would like to control a genre. I know there can be different games within a genre but you should give a general outlne of how you would like to control a game of that type. Also, the reasons mine are so conscice is tahr I was creating control options and photoshopping them onto the iPhone's screen (to see which works best) so I can decide which genre of game to make.

Last edited by Haephestos; 11-18-2008 at 05:57 AM.