Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitta View Post
Being Ascension one of my most played games (I had to severely cut down my games down to a few to get anything done in real life) I bought Nightfall.
The game looks sleek and it's probably very good...but...I feel really dumb because after some games I'm still completely lost.
I can't do any damage and whatever I think seems great in
my chain phase, it never happens.
I must be missing something really big here, or I'm really dumb.
I'll try again but it's a bit frustrating.
Just lost 20 to 0 with the AI set to 'dumbest'.
Same here, but I'm bound and determined to learn it, if my wife would quit sending me wwf and draw something requests.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Just throwing out there that if people are fans of Playdek's Ascension and Nightfall, they should also pick up their Food Fight card game if they don't already have it.

Not only is the game well-done and fun in its own right (and a bit more straightforward than NF for those feeling bewildered), it also shares the same insane polish as their other titles, and picking it up supports a developer who puts more time and effort into their titles than most. Getting paid also contributes to the likelihood of new titles and expansions being released. ^_-
Old 04-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Just throwing out there that if people are fans of Playdek's Ascension and Nightfall, they should also pick up their Food Fight card game if they don't already have it.

Not only is the game well-done and fun in its own right (and a bit more straightforward than NF for those feeling bewildered), it also shares the same insane polish as their other titles, and picking it up supports a developer who puts more time and effort into their titles than most. Getting paid also contributes to the likelihood of new titles and expansions being released. ^_-

Despite needing to learn nightfall, I have been playing food fights insanely polished campaign. Yeah it's simple and basically war, but the campaign is fun.

Edit- WOOHOO I finally won two games in a row against the easy A.I. in Nightfall and I think I am beginning to understand this some what!

Last edited by the9quad; 04-08-2012 at 08:55 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 AM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastspinecho View Post
Nightfall is different from Magic or other games. After your minions attack, they are automatically discarded. The defender never deals damage back.

The only reason your minions even have hitpoints is that they need to survive until the beginning of your turn before they can finally attack.
thank you kind sir...
Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm starting getting better at the game...at least I was able to actually damage my opponent with something I actually planned, not random as before.
There is so much more going on here than Ascension I can see myself playing it A LOT....IF I'll ever come to understand it fully.

Some general consideration for Playdek:

1) I always asked multitasking for Ascension...now I won't ask it anymore because I realized it is useless when playing online (ie: always).
You have to wait for server login (which is generally utterly slow) so it is basically useless unless you play solo or till Apple integrates permanent GC connection in iOS6.

2) Nightfall, at least on iPhone 4s, drains waaaaaaay too much battery...something is wrong. It's draining much more battery than Infjnity Blade 2, and it shouldn't (Ascension draining is negligible).

3) They really should start implementing chat...even the standard Apple GC chat (not real time) would do.

Other than that the game really shines for quality (I love the moving runes in one background).

Oh....maybe it's just me but the main screen image really sucks IMHO (the stupid guy on the bike)...but this is just personal taste.

Back to the game hoping to improve while being slauthered...
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to see your entire deck, like you can in Ascension? Because without that, playing multiple asynch games is going to be very difficult. You need to keep track of what you've bought before so you can buy cards that make for chains. If you can't see your entire deck, it's going to be pretty much impossible to memorize what you did when you're playing 10 asynch games at once.

The game itself I'm definitely starting to enjoy, but I hope they add that feature soon. Or that somebody points out to me how you do it.

Also, does anyone else find that on an iPhone 4 sometimes you launch the game and all you get is a blank screen? I've run into this many times. I don't see this happing on my iPad.

Regarding Food Fight, it is fun when played live, but not so fun played asynch. In fact it's pretty terrible asynch. Sometimes you come on to only have to tap a done button and then your turn is over. Food Fight desperately needs the timers so we can start/find 15 minute games. It needs to be played quickly to be fun. Even better, and really probably necessary, would be a lobby system like Ticket to Ride iPad.

Last edited by crunc; 04-09-2012 at 09:04 AM..
Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to amn624 Send a message via Skype™ to amn624

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Regarding Food Fight, it is fun when played live, but not so fun played asynch. In fact it's pretty terrible asynch. Sometimes you come on to only have to tap a done button and then your turn is over. Food Fight desperately needs the timers so we can start/find 15 minute games. It needs to be played quickly to be fun.
Worse yet, a 4-player game where someone decides to take a month off. Aaronius, where the heck are you?!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I have noticed quite a bit of battery drain playing this on my first generation Ipad, much more so than with Ascension. I have also gotten the blank screen on my Iphone that another poster mentioned.

I appreciate several of you starting online games with me. I am still having a very difficult time grasping the strategy of Nightfall, but I am determined to learn it. I plan on accepting those online games tonight so you can commence with the slaughtering.

I also agree with Crunc about needing to be able to see your entire deck. If that feature is available, it's certainly not apparent how to do it.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I finally had my "a-ha!" moment. It took a few games, and reading the physical game manual, but I think I've finally got it. I had to remember how long it took me to "get" Catan.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.x

I would like an opinion real quick if someone has one. I haven't played Ascension or Food Fight but I have wanted to check them out. Now there is a 3rd option...Nightfall.

I've played some collectable card games in the past. (Magic the Gathering but I wasn't hardcore into it). I have not tried a "Deck Building" game though.

Which Playdek game should I start with? I'm craving a fun, somewhat challenging game that I can get hooked on for a while. Would Nightfall be extra confusing because I'm new to the genre? Should I get Nightfall first because it's the new hotness? Or should I start with Food Fight because it is more simple? (Does Food Fight use the core elements and strategy of a "deck builder", just on a smaller and easier scale?)

I'm not even sure if those questions make complete sense. I will probably buy Food Fight and the game you recommend. From what I've seen and briefly read, Playdek puts tons of love and care into their apps in every detail. I wish there were more developers on the app store like them.

I'm eagerly awaiting your thoughts. Many thanks in advance!