Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Tecwrtr has slaughtered me every time so far. LOL.
Don't let her have "Big Ghost" and you'll stand a much better chance to win.

Quote:
I'm surprised with how well this game plays asynch. Occasionally you get a slow exchange of turns when chaining, but mostly the game seems to move ahead pretty well. Once you figure the game out, it's definitely a fun one.
Two player plays very well async since we can automatically assign attackers and there's only one other person to add to your chain. It can slow down if there are multiple Bad Smoke/Vulko in play or if Leave Me! is used. But for the most, a 2 player game of Nightfall should finish in about the same number of activations per player as Ascension does, since Nightfall games usually only require about half as many player turns.

Quote:
I do find it harder to play on iPhone, though, just because everything is so small. Particularly I find myself going back and forth between cards to make sure I'm getting ones that chain well together. More fun on iPad.
Isn't this true for just about any game, though?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Once you figure the game out, it's definitely a fun one. I do find it harder to play on iPhone, though, just because everything is so small. Particularly I find myself going back and forth between cards to make sure I'm getting ones that chain well together. More fun on iPad.
I generally agree, but now that I'm learning the cards, it's not as big of a deal. Same with Ascension - once you memorize what each card does, you can just recognize them from their pictures. The one difference with the iphone version is it's harder to see the colors because cards in your hand overlap more.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
The one difference with the iphone version is it's harder to see the colors because cards in your hand overlap more.
That's precisely the issue. And since my memory isn't the best, trying to remember what the colors are on the cards is pretty much impossible. LOL. So on the iPhone I have to go back and forth between cards over and over to figure it out.

Ascension doesn't have this kind of issue and it's easier to remember the cards.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
The one difference with the iphone version is it's harder to see the colors because cards in your hand overlap more.
That's a bug. We're working on an update that will render the cards in your hand in the reverse order, so the left side of each card will always be visible.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangiato View Post
That's a bug. We're working on an update that will render the cards in your hand in the reverse order, so the left side of each card will always be visible.
Yeah! I don't suppose there is any point in asking for an ETA?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Don't let her have "Big Ghost" and you'll stand a much better chance to win.

Two player plays very well async since we can automatically assign attackers and there's only one other person to add to your chain. It can slow down if there are multiple Bad Smoke/Vulko in play or if Leave Me! is used. But for the most, a 2 player game of Nightfall should finish in about the same number of activations per player as Ascension does, since Nightfall games usually only require about half as many player turns.

Isn't this true for just about any game, though?
One thing I'd love to see implemented would be the app displaying only the actual cards finally played by a player in a chain.

The way it is now it shows their entire decision process while they try to determine the best chain : so you see a couple cards out, a couple cards back in hand, couple cards out, one back in hand, pick all the cards up back in hand, start over with two cards down, pick one card up .... etc ... you get the picture.

Two things I don't like : one it exposes cards in hand a player might not have played, and sometimes with some people it can take forever.

Especially in async. I'll sometimes pop out of the match if someone is taking a long time ... I don't want to come back into the match when it's finally my turn and have to sit through the whole process anyway.

I'd just like to see the cards they finally chose laid out .. zip, zip, zip
Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

It's no different then if somebody places the cards on the table in a real game and then picks them back up, though. Having nothing at all happen, and then everything happen, I'm not sure if that would be an improvement. I like seeing that there's somebody alive and kicking over there.

Ooooh, never mind. You mean when replaying a non-live turn. Yeah, maybe that should be done without.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
It's no different then if somebody places the cards on the table in a real game and then picks them back up, though. Having nothing at all happen, and then everything happen, I'm not sure if that would be an improvement. I like seeing that there's somebody alive and kicking over there.

Ooooh, never mind. You mean when replaying a non-live turn. Yeah, maybe that should be done without.
It's not as much of an issue I don't think in real life, because you can rearrange the cards in your hand to simulate how they would be played so it wouldnt really be necessary to lay each one down before figuring out there might be a more advantageous way to chain.

With the app since you cannot arrange cards in hand (and can only select a "valid" card at any given time) you have to mentally try to map it out before laying down ... Which is why you have people doing this anyway ... it can be a little hard planning out a chain with all the cards spread through your hand, particularly when you have a lot of cards.

Maybe adding an option to auto-order by "suit" in your hand could be helpful as well.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Oh very cool. As a workaround in the meantime, you can simply tap and hold on a card to bring it to the forefront w/o enlarging it. Then you can see the colors and still see other cards.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladeums View Post
It's not as much of an issue I don't think in real life, because you can rearrange the cards in your hand to simulate how they would be played so it wouldnt really be necessary to lay each one down before figuring out there might be a more advantageous way to chain.

With the app since you cannot arrange cards in hand (and can only select a "valid" card at any given time) you have to mentally try to map it out before laying down ... Which is why you have people doing this anyway ... it can be a little hard planning out a chain with all the cards spread through your hand, particularly when you have a lot of cards.

Maybe adding an option to auto-order by "suit" in your hand could be helpful as well.
Heh, yeah I definitely do that. I think simply being able to rearrange the cards in your hand could help. Or else go with what Sladeums talked about - change it so placed cards aren't sent to the opponents until the player taps Done.