Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM
iPhone 4

Great to see this out before the Easter weekend! I'll grab it now.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I had kinda decided that Assassin's Creed: Recollection (with a little bit of Urban Rivals, Shadow Era and Cabals on the side) was kinda all the TCG I needed, but seeing that this is actually originally an Alderac product turned that whole reasoning into sticky paste.

Here's to the hope that Nightfall is stronger in the deck building, collection and persistence areas than Playdeck's previous Ascension. Stuff like an online card market and deck building progression elements, Urban Rivals style, can help build a community and turn an iOS TCG into a a semi-MMO, and offer heaps and mounds of additional incentive to play...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Ascension and Food Fight are pretty much unassailable. Bought.
^This. Insta buy!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
I had kinda decided that Assassin's Creed: Recollection (with a little bit of Urban Rivals, Shadow Era and Cabals on the side) was kinda all the TCG I needed, but seeing that this is actually originally an Alderac product turned that whole reasoning into sticky paste.

Here's to the hope that Nightfall is stronger in the deck building, collection and persistence areas than Playdeck's previous Ascension. Stuff like an online card market and deck building progression elements, Urban Rivals style, can help build a community and turn an iOS TCG into a a semi-MMO, and offer heaps and mounds of additional incentive to play...
Nightfall and Ascension are similar in scope. In the hobby boardgame market, "deck building" refers to any game the borrows its inspiration from Dominion in that you are creating your deck on the fly during game play, rather than pre-constructing your own deck prior to the beginning of the game. Nightfall comes closer to Magic: the Gathering than Ascension did in that you have card effects where you get to choose specific targets and you have to choose a target opponent when your minions attack.

This genre of game was created as a direct counter to the CCGs that you list, so that players didn't feel trapped in an endless cycle of having to purchase new product in order to remain competitive.

Our next major release, Summoner Wars, is probably more in line with the type of game you're looking for, although it will come closer to the "living card game" model, in that you will have multiple different purchase options to unlock additional content, but you will always know exactly which cards will be contained in that pack.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Saw this and it looked interesting. Then I saw it was by Playdek and became very intrigued. I watched the video and read the boardgamegeek description, but don't really have a strong sense of how the game works. I love Ascension and Dominion - will I like this?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
Saw this and it looked interesting. Then I saw it was by Playdek and became very intrigued. I watched the video and read the boardgamegeek description, but don't really have a strong sense of how the game works. I love Ascension and Dominion - will I like this?
You can watch the review by thedicetower for the physical version of Nightfall. I think you will like it, Nightfall has similar mechanics to both Ascension and Dominion yet has enough differences to make it special.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 PM
iPhone 4

Artfoundry, I'm gonna say yes. I don't know how anyone can resist any Playdek game.

Strangiato, please get summoner wars out ASAP!! Sounds amazing
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

I'm liking the game so far but must admit it is a real head scratcher.

Will the rulebook explain many of the options (like if one chooses a game with the closed eye vs. the open bleeding eye)?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I like that this is a little more complicated than ascension, I still don't quite understand it after the tutorial to be honest, are there any videos that explain it better? Not a knock on the game, because I actually like the fact that it isn't so easy that you totally get it in the first two minutes. On the other hand, if someone can point me to a video similar to that one where that one guy explains carcassone that would rock.

Last edited by the9quad; 04-05-2012 at 11:42 PM..
Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm liking the game so far but must admit it is a real head scratcher.

Will the rulebook explain many of the options (like if one chooses a game with the closed eye vs. the open bleeding eye)?
Yes, the rule book explains the various icons. The open/closed eye just indicates whether each player's wound total is visible. It's a major component of the tabletop version of the game that wound counts aren't known until the end of the game, because this increases the social aspect of the game. But you're able to walk away from a game at any point and come back days later, you can't rely on memory to know who has taken the least wounds, and that information is critical in making decisions about who to target. It's recommended you only play with hidden wound counts (the closed eye) if you intend to finish the game in one sitting.