★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

can IOS developer actually make money from premium game?

04-06-2012, 09:11 PM
can IOS developer actually make money from premium game?

Check the game center, the great game swordigo only gets 60 thousand players, and I guess half of them may be hackers. Then the total revenue would be 60 thousand dollar, and some of the money should be take away by apple as a membership fee or something.
so what? Only gets no more than 60,000 from making a great game. Is that even enough for swordigo making cost?
Maybe that why we have shadowgun last year, but nothing(same quality TPS) more this year from Indev. How many Indevs make no money and then leave the market.
04-08-2012, 07:12 AM
I'd say that's pretty good for a game that came out just last month. Also it was bassicly made by 3 people... I don't think the game cost that much to make considering the hardware in order to create this type of game is done on a computer mostly.. rendering graphics, code and music. Its alot different then a big company like EA.

I'd say theyve bEen working On it awhile since the last game they made was Soozis and that came out a few years ago.

04-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Not everybody who plays a game necessarily has a game centre account so those figures aren't an accurate representation of their sales data.

Costs are also a lot lower for iOS, tiny licence fees, so they will break even and make a profit much sooner than on big consoles.

If something online is free, you are not the customer - you are the product.

Last edited by lord-sam; 04-08-2012 at 08:03 AM.
04-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarence View Post
Check the game center, the great game swordigo only gets 60 thousand players, and I guess half of them may be hackers. Then the total revenue would be 60 thousand dollar, and some of the money should be take away by apple as a membership fee or something.
so what? Only gets no more than 60,000 from making a great game. Is that even enough for swordigo making cost?
Maybe that why we have shadowgun last year, but nothing(same quality TPS) more this year from Indev. How many Indevs make no money and then leave the market.
All games in GC should be legal, since they need to be purchased through iTunes in order register under your GC account. Since your post on Friday the number has gone up to 70,000, which, at $1.99 a pop (and after Apple's cut), makes for about $100,000 in revenues -- not bad for an indie game that has been out only a couple of weeks.
04-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Just a few Facts:
  • The Game already sold more then 100.000 Units since it got released Worldwide.
  • Taking any Numbers from Game Center for any Statistics won`t work since Game Center doesn`t separate legally obtained Units with those which where claimed through Piracy.
  • The Number of Devices that doesn`t have permanent excess to the Internet and therefor no permanent excess to Game Center is bigger then some of you might even believe it would be if you combine it with those that donīt list their Game Stats with Open Feint/Open Center/Gameloft Live/...
  • Piracy is a smaller Part of the Business some of the bigger Publisher try to make it look like. And no that`s not only true if your IP is strong enough to stand out.
  • Even some shitty Games sell enough Units and I know at least of one Case where a UK Developer sold enough Units that he could afford a Porsche Boxter with his first Game that was one of the first 50000 Appz on the Appstore. And that Game was horrible...
  • Yes you can survive as an Indie Developer if you don`t spent every of your hard earned Dollar for some Project your adviser at your local Bank suggest you to invest some Money in if you don`t try to Clone Angry Birds.
04-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ronfar View Post
I'd say that's pretty good for a game that came out just last month. Also it was bassicly made by 3 people... I don't think the game cost that much to make considering the hardware in order to create this type of game is done on a computer mostly.. rendering graphics, code and music. Its alot different then a big company like EA.

I'd say theyve bEen working On it awhile since the last game they made was Soozis and that came out a few years ago.
3 people?then how many days thay took to make the game?
I can never imagine such a masterpiece---lack of polish but still great---could be accomplished by only a threesome.
04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Just a few Facts:
  • The Game already sold more then 100.000 Units since it got released Worldwide.
  • Taking any Numbers from Game Center for any Statistics won`t work since Game Center doesn`t separate legally obtained Units with those which where claimed through Piracy.
  • The Number of Devices that doesn`t have permanent excess to the Internet and therefor no permanent excess to Game Center is bigger then some of you might even believe it would be if you combine it with those that donīt list their Game Stats with Open Feint/Open Center/Gameloft Live/...
  • Piracy is a smaller Part of the Business some of the bigger Publisher try to make it look like. And no that`s not only true if your IP is strong enough to stand out.
  • Even some shitty Games sell enough Units and I know at least of one Case where a UK Developer sold enough Units that he could afford a Porsche Boxter with his first Game that was one of the first 50000 Appz on the Appstore. And that Game was horrible...
  • Yes you can survive as an Indie Developer if you don`t spent every of your hard earned Dollar for some Project your adviser at your local Bank suggest you to invest some Money in if you don`t try to Clone Angry Birds.
100 thousand.great..welll I want to know where to get the info about sales figure too.
I like to know it.
04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarence View Post
100 thousand.great..welll I want to know where to get the info about sales figure too.
I like to know it.
Sanuku often works directly with developers to make his videos -- he may have sales figures directly from them. The number of actual sales is not public information as far as I know. (It's not like retail sales.)
04-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Sanuku often works directly with developers to make his videos -- he may have sales figures directly from them. The number of actual sales is not public information as far as I know. (It's not like retail sales.)
oh, I thought the info he got is from some kind of public website.
Now I see he is an expert, jeez, I'd been both blind and derelict to be unaware of that.
04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
All games in GC should be legal, since they need to be purchased through iTunes in order register under your GC account.
Actually, they don't have to be. Pirated apps still use Gamecenter even without an official purchase.

I can think of two Devs that have really done well on the appstore: Rocketcat and Halfbrick. It is very possible. The main limitation i've noticed is that most games just don't reach the same level of fun and polish that these do. I really don't think it's about "getting lost" in the market...there are just not that many games that stick out above the rest.

i'm a pretty kitty cat