★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Raging Thunder vs Asphalt 4

11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Raging Thunder vs Asphalt 4

Hi,
I really want to purchase a good racing game as I wait for NFS to come out. I don't want to get fastlane, because I have heard it is really hard, me, I would like to get all the tracks easily so I can just quick race etc. However, I hear fastlane is hard, and I would not like that. Is fastlane hard to get all the tracks/vehicles, or just hard in the sense of achievements? if someone could answer that thank you! any ways, Raging thunder or asphalt 4, which is better, I like the online play on RT, but is A4 better gameplay and track environment wise? thanks!
11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
If you are a graphics fan. Go for FastLane. Even if you lose you will get to explore a full city and it's gorgeous. But if you don't want to dedicate much time to a game, Go for Raging thunder...worth the Price. And as far as asphalt is concerned, every gameloft game i have purchased feels overpriced (except real footbal09) the game is good but not worth 8 bucks and the gameplay sucks. My take go for Raging Thunder or FastLane

11-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer_megadeth View Post
If you are a graphics fan. Go for FastLane. Even if you lose you will get to explore a full city and it's gorgeous. But if you don't want to dedicate much time to a game, Go for Raging thunder...worth the Price. And as far as asphalt is concerned, every gameloft game i have purchased feels overpriced (except real footbal09) the game is good but not worth 8 bucks and the gameplay sucks. My take go for Raging Thunder or FastLane
I really like Fastlane and it's graphics, but it is too hard. Asphalt4 is a "real" game but I don't really like the graphics and the gameplay to. I haven't got RT because it's only 2.6 MB.

I would wait for NFS!
11-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Take Raging Thunder. If you wanna have quick races. Asphalt has long tracks and missions, while in Raging Thunder you have smaller tracks. Also, the framerate of Raging Thunder seems to be better and it looks more colorful. But RT has less content than Asphalt (not meant in a negative way).

If you want quick races, skip Fastlane. You have to have time to learn the tracks and the cars' behaviour, where in Raging Thunder you can just drive and get a good position. You also have ramps in Raging Thunder and the accelerometer control is made very good .

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
11-18-2008, 11:13 AM
NFS could come out any minute though, and you might need to save a little extra money for it
11-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't expect NFS to be a game for a "quick race". It will be like Asphalt: Missions, long tracks, maybe a storyline, maybe broken controls as well . If he's for a quick and easy race with nice graphics and performance, Raging Thunder is the way to go.

But, regarding the price point, he could buy Asphalt, Raging Thunder and Fastlane and still pays only the price of half a Nintendo DS racer. These three racers feed different target segments, so he could try which fits best to him.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Take Raging Thunder. If you wanna have quick races. Asphalt has long tracks and missions, while in Raging Thunder you have smaller tracks. Also, the framerate of Raging Thunder seems to be better and it looks more colorful. But RT has less content than Asphalt (not meant in a negative way).

If you want quick races, skip Fastlane. You have to have time to learn the tracks and the cars' behaviour, where in Raging Thunder you can just drive and get a good position. You also have ramps in Raging Thunder and the accelerometer control is made very good .
I am completely with Oliver on this one (as usual ).
Fastlane comes highly recommended for those who like a real challenge. It takes a good few races per route to learn all the tighter bends and how best to get round them. And you will need learn the tracks a lot in the later stages in order to reach the finish line. As you personally want to play lots of tracks straight away and get into it quickly, Fastlane won't be for you my friend.
As for the other games, like Oliver says, Asphalt gives you a lot to do in order to unlock all the tracks- there is money to be won and cars to upgrade before you get to see all the tracks in it.
Raging Thunder is easy enough to get straight into and not worry about being bogged down too much with learning tracks or upgrading etc. There is upgrading in it, don't get me wrong. But only on a minor scale compared to Asphalt. Plus you have an Arcade mode in it where you just race one track after another without worrying about that. That game is your best bet out of the three, if that's the type of thing you are after.

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 11-18-2008 at 11:36 AM.