★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hunting: Deer vs. Xring

11-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Hunting: Deer vs. Xring

Has anyone got these yet? Been dying for a shooting app., and maybe one of these will hit the mark better than iHunt...
11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I haven't got either of these, but Hunting: Deer seems to just use the touch screen to shoot your arrows, whereas Xring uses either touch or tilt control. I was looking at Xring myself, but call me sadistic- I'd rather shoot something living than a piece of board.
A new version of iHunt has come out. It's a little improvement over the first version, but still nowhere near as good as it should be (my review has just been posted in my blog).
I don't think we've got one app of this type yet that I can say looks the dogs balls!

11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
I do own Cow Hunt! lol
can't say that I've played it anytime recently though...
11-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATTLE BORN View Post
I do own Cow Hunt! lol
can't say that I've played it anytime recently though...
I commend you for admitting to it

I own it too as it was one of the first games to use tilt to aim a crosshair. I really think it's the best way to play a sniping game on the iPhone/Touch. I just wish someone would do a GOOD game using this method.
11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
OK - Went with Xring...Initial thoughts:
DAMN! This is hard!!! You have 9 minutes (yes, it's a timed competition) to hit the target 20 times. Sounds easy, right? Well, there is a constant wind blowing, so it's next to impossible to hit the bullseye. I mean, i did it, and did damn well with my first round, but it took about 6 minutes to do it. And one more thing. To get a classification, such as Sharpshooter, Master, etc., you have to complete 6 full rounds of competition.

Let me know if this helps with your decision, and see you on the shooting range...
11-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Got Xring too.

iHunt, let me say, is just for fun and the last version is better.

Xring requires more aiming and precision due the wind (it's not only a matter of aim the target but calculate the shot trajectory considering the wind).

The stats/classification is a plus for Xring (you may want to get a better classification and play it again).

Xring requires more time and patience to play.

I like it so far.
11-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I have XRing, so far I really like it too. It's challenging w/ the wind! Definitely one I love to play while trying to wind down after work.

The trick for me is to wait for the wind to slow down and then fire as many shots as possible before the wind picks up again, but yeah, you're racing against the clock.

I really like the graphics, I think it's very polished looking, more so than some of the other apps out IMO.

Anyways, it's a fun little app, totally worth the two bucks. If you want a shooting game, this one's really cool.

Anyways, that's my two cents... hope it helps!
11-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Hmm. Maybe if you could swap the target for a terrorist or zombie head I might be interested (I'm a sadistic g!t).
11-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Hmm. Maybe if you could swap the target for a terrorist or zombie head I might be interested (I'm a sadistic g!t).
LOL nice! You know, zombie games are always fun though!
11-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Ahh! I'm so looking for some good zombie apps! dont have xring yet, maybe that can give me my fix

overall, xring seems to have a good rating?