Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Played the game more, just got passed the 1st boss (Goblin chief). This game is quite good! No enchanted item drops so far though
Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post

EDIT: The IAP is there and it seems pretty insidious: most of the second tier gear can only be bought with crystals, which I have yet to run into during gameplay (but which can be conveniently bought for real cash from the gear shop). It will be a damn shame if the game puts a wall like that, because it's fun otherwise.
Hey squarezero, while it is true that those items are only available in the shop at the beginning, they CAN be found in game. They can be found from the slot machine in town or dropped during boss fights. Loot hunting is where the fun is at; the shop is just a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemineye62 View Post
When you talk to the girl to buy weapons etc, click on the money symbol top middle of the purchase screen. Go to the bottom left icon (I think that was the one) and you can trade the gold you earned for blue crystals. It's pricey but,
you can do it if you don't want to pay real cash for them.

Hey, someone else pointed this out already, but that conversion only goes one way - tCrystals can be converted to gold, not the other way around. But I want to emphasize that tCrystals are NOT necessary, just a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justln View Post
So,
A paid App with an obnoxious ad bar
Pervasive IAP that artificially deters progress
Shrunken UI on iPad 3
Blurry textures on 3GS
No quest log in an RPG, wtf?
Forgive me for getting a bit defensive, but I think you have an exaggerated perception of some of the criticisms posted:

1. Ads appear in 2 spots: the title screen and the pause menu. That's it.
2. The IAP is there, yes, but far from pervasive. Unlike many games, you are not forced through the shop after every battle, there is no persistent "SHOP" button on the interface, and the IAP interface to buy tCrystals is ACTUALLY pretty well hidden and nondescript! No one has complained about progress being deterred except in the conditional - e.g. IF progress is deterred or there is an IAP wall, I'll be upset.
3-4. Guilty as charged. The update is already pending approval though!(submitted on Monday)
5. A quest log is not needed, as one will quickly realize after playing a bit. Every location on the map is a quest; you just tap the icon on the map and teleport to the quest location. Basically, the world map IS your quest log. It's a little different than a standard RPG, but it's a nice way to visualize things and avoid long hikes that aren't well suited to iOS.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

So all those IAP items can be found in the game too? Time for some boss runs! Are there any items of really good quality like epic or legendary that are better than IAP items and can only be found?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

This all sounds more than fair to me. And I appreciate the clarification.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

How big is the world. Also, is there humor?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:14 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

I may not have a very high post count, but I've been around this place for a long time, and I stay mostly quiet, but I think this is one of those times where I feel like saying a few things about a game.

First let me premise this with the simple statement that I'm really enjoying this game, I think it's really a heap of fun and I plan on spending an inordinate amount of time with it. So kicking things off, let me just talk about what was said just before my post here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINITIgames View Post
Loot hunting is where the fun is at; the shop is just a shortcut!
As it should be, and for that I'm thankful. I'll be more apt to use IAP if I enjoy the game, almost solely out of support to the developer. It's a rare occasion that I partake in IAP simply to skip ahead, but if this game continues to bring enjoyment for me, I can easily see throwing out a few more dollars down the road. I like the fact that the items are also available in the game, and yes, loot hunting is where the fun is at.

Quote:
1. Ads appear in 2 spots: the title screen and the pause menu. That's it.
I'm sorry, I hate this. If I've paid for an app, and have the "opportunity" to spend more money in the game down the road, there's no reason for ads in the game. In fact, the very first thing I did was look for an IAP to purchase to disable the ads. Knowing that it's a paid app though should really go hand-in-hand with having no in-game advertisements, no matter how "out of the way" or rare they are.

Quote:
2. The IAP is there, yes, but far from pervasive.
So far I agree, I don't find the IAP pervasive at all. And if you're interested in zooming ahead of the curve you shouldn't mind paying for it. I don't play Dungeon Hunter 3 for this very reason. I've spent countless hours in "hack-n-slash" games going after loot. I remember loot farming in Underworlds like it was going out of style, so I don't mind grinding areas and mobs, bosses and chests simply for the chance at some pretty sweet gear.

Quote:
5. A quest log is not needed, as one will quickly realize after playing a bit. Every location on the map is a quest; you just tap the icon on the map and teleport to the quest location. Basically, the world map IS your quest log. It's a little different than a standard RPG, but it's a nice way to visualize things and avoid long hikes that aren't well suited to iOS.
While I've not felt the burning need for a quest log, I can see why people like it. Some people simply like to have everything in a nice organized place, like taking notes while you play, it's nice for the simple fact that it's a "mobile" device and for that you may have to stop playing and not pick it up after some time. 2 days later you may not remember what you were last doing, having the log to look at gives you that "oooh, now I remember, I have to kill Wumpus the troll..." moment instead of having to jot out to the world map and poke around. I understand how the map works though, and it's not at all confusing how it is now however, at least for me, but I understand the comment. I do see though that the quests are map-based, so when you hit the map you'll see "oh I can still kill 10 more boars" but what might even be nice is a tally of how many times you've collected 10 crates, killed 10 boars, or bitten into 30 apples filled with goo.

So far, I'm really enjoying this. A good loot-grinding hack-and-slash game will always go a long way with me, and this is no exception. I'm really loving the art style, and overall can't wait to see what I can accomplish and what gear I can horde. If i had one comment myself it would be to be able to have chosen from either a battery of character designs, had some simple character creator or had a choice of different main heroes. I know that's not really conducive for the game in it's current state, but being able to personalize your character is something I'm all about, even if it's cookie cutter choices, knowing the choice is there is always tons of fun (and adds a ton of re-playability to the game knowing you can play a different build). And while I'm at it, something I would really like to see is a confirmation message after I've allocated my skill points. I accrued 5 skill points before I actually started spending them, and I realized too quickly that once you "learn" there's no "are you finished?" message before the points are finalized. I know it sounds lame, but take most MMO games and you'll see that they've implemented a "ok, you've spent your points, are you ready to save your points to where you have them?" message. I only mention this, because it gives you a chance to see what you're looking at, think about it, toil over whether you want to spend points here or there, and then with a decisive final click, authorize the game to spend your points, be it 1 or 100.

Oh, and p.s... The "Bone" set looks too cool in the icons, I hope I find the pieces some day, I can't wait to jet around looking like a badass.

Last edited by sushibox; 04-13-2012 at 12:00 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Just confirming that I've found both Iap items aswell as items that aren't even in the shop from drops. Got a helm that adds 300 damage but gives a 15 percent chance to hit yourself. Also gloves that make potions give you mana as well. Useful together if you spam potions and your spell as you can't damage yourself that way, hitting for about 900 at level 18.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
For those of you sticking it out with this one, there's a few other things I would put in the bug category.

Anyway, it's a Triniti game so I've come to not expect the best. But I think the game has some good things going for it so hopefully the devs will put some more effort into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushibox View Post
I may not have a very high post count, but I've been around this place for a long time, and I stay mostly quiet, but I think this is one of those times where I feel like saying a few things about a game.

Thank you both for the especially amazing feedback! It's all been forwarded to the designers and they're taking it very seriously. We'll be putting a LOT of effort into future updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostz View Post
How big is the world. Also, is there humor?
The map you see is the extent of the world for now; there are 40+ quests scattered across the map and more content in the works.

There are some tongue-in-cheek descriptions and dialogue in the game; whether or not they're humorous is a matter of personal opinion .

Last edited by TRINITIgames; 04-13-2012 at 02:51 AM..
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the lack of control options or settings is killer. Playing this game on the new iPad (glad that the UI issue will be resolved in the patch next week), the controls are stuck at the bottom corners of the screen. This is definitely not the most natural way of playing the game while holding the iPad up with both hands.

The most balanced way of holding it would be in the middle. Right now it makes my hand really tired if I'm holding it by the very bottom corners. I really do hope that the next version will fix this problem.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBlang View Post
This is definitely not the most natural way of playing the game while holding the iPad up with both hands.
It's just hard for me to believe many people play iPad games while holding the iPad in their hands. It's too heavy for that, regardless of where you put the controls. You have to at least rest it on something.