I've posted my review as 'LethalApple' to the US App Store.
This fitness app is a prime example of something that technology, and especially the iPhone and iPad can really help and provide something that we wouldn't have without apps. You can now have videos, photos, tips, trackers and data analysis all in one place, with the ability to carry it around with you. There are a few apps that offer similar features, but this is definitely the best. For this price, it's also something that I would recommend to anybody, as it's fantastic.
To start with, this app has got a lot of great features that I really love. Things like the ability to track various different body parameters and then compare them over time is great, as well as the ability to record everything you eat and keep to a 'budget'. With over 100 workouts, and pictures, text, videos and audio to accompany each of them, it's well covered in that area as well. It's also got lots of features that although small, are little extras that make this a joy to use, like the ability to download all content at once, so you can use it without WiFi, lots of different restaurants on the food tracker, a nice magazine, as well as different profiles so that different users can use it on the same device at the same time. You can't fault it for its features at this price as it's superb for this price.
Even though the app is awesome, there are a few features and changes that could be introduced that I think would improve the experience. While they aren't needed, they would add that little extra polish that makes an incredible app stand out from something amazing.
- iCloud: Although this isn't really needed, as you can manage everything separately, this would be an incredible feature to come. I think it's great that the app has both an iPhone and an iPad version, but it really needs sync between them, and with the ease of iCloud it would be perfect. I find it best to manage everything on my iPad at home, but then I don't have the data with me when I'm on the go. At the same time, if I go to a restaurant to eat something and use the food database to add it, it won't be on my iPad when I get home. iCloud would vastly improve the experience.
- Retina: This one is rather simple, but with the release of the new iPad and the gorgeous retina display, apps really need to be updated. At the moment, this app hasn't been updated and it really doesn't look that good. Since it's also got a lot of photos, images and video this is one of the apps that will best benefit from the change, and with the improvements it will really look amazing.
- Calorie Counter: At the moment, the calorie counter is pretty good, and it's got a lot of different chains, such as big nations ones to more local ones, recipes, popular brands and almost everything I could search for. However, it does lack the choice of other apps, as they can offer over 500,000 choices instead of 300,000! 300,000 is a lot, but it's best to have as much as possible as if you're lacking just one meal from your day it can really mess up your tracker and progress, especially if you're trying to stick to a particular regime.
- Graphics: A few of the graphics, especially the icon look quite old, and certainly not sleek and modern like we get with Apple designed apps. I'd love to see a refresh of the user experience, bringing some nice new graphics to make things look better. It looks ok how it is, but it could certainly be better. Maybe this could come at the same time as retina display support?
- Few Bugs: For the most part, this app was solid, but I did experience a few crashes that I would love to be sorted out. However, a few annoying hiccups did take place, notably as I tried to download all of the content or when I tried to search through all of the food options available. Despite these, they are only small and it's much smoother than other apps that I have tried.
- Individual Workout: I've seen the individual workout option, and it seems like a great price, offering something that a personal trainer would charge a lot more for. However, I'd love to see some additional options, maybe information about the team who produces it, or an example copy. This might make me more likely to buy it. Maybe in the future we could also see additional services, such as a subscription, where the plan is evaluated every so often based on your progress. This would be much better than paying every single time, only for minimal changes.
- Metric/Imperial: I saw the option in the settings, but this didn't seem to change anything even when I restarting the app.
- Gym Locator: With GPS on offer, I'd love to see the ability to search for local gyms, or search by location if you're visiting somewhere else and you don't know where to go. It could include information about the gym, such as address, map, price, website and contact information. Not many apps offer this and it would be a fantastic feature to standout from the crowd.
- Tutorial: This app has a lot of different features, so many in fact that it can be really confusing once you first open it up! Maybe it could include some sample data or a tutorial that you could access if you wanted some help with. I think it would help a lot and cut down on the time that you had to mess around in order to be comfortable with the app.
With everything considered, this app is already perfect. It's packed full of different features that cover almost anything you could ever wish for. Best of all, this is all available at this amazing price. Many similar apps can cost $9.99, but this is just as good and costs a lot less.