★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Do I need an Iphone?

05-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Do I need an Iphone?

Hi,

I was thinking of making my first game for the apple iphone/ipod touch. I was just wondering do I really need to go out and purchase an iphone or can I use the ipod touch? Was thinking about just using the ipod touch as my platform to make games for the iphone and touch.

Also will I be limited in any way, developing wise by using the touch instead of the iphone?

Thanks any information is appreciated.
05-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't see why you would need an iPhone. as long as you have a few beta testers, i think you'd be fine.

The only thing psychially would be lack of mic for anything using blowing or a camera involvement..

I'm not a devolper, so don't take me like I'm the book of truth..

Hey, anyone remember me? I used to be the #1 in Pygmies Eaten by T-Rex in PG.

I love to beta test. I've done about 5 or 6 apps. You can PM me if you want, I'm running an 8GB ipod Touch 2nd Generation. 3.1.2 Software also. Thanks.

05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
A touch is fine as long as you don't need the missing elements (camera, vibrate, etc.). But keep in mind the 2G touch is the fastest device. So if your game runs just barely fast enough on it, it will be too slow on everything else. It's better to either get a 1G touch, or make sure the game is always more than fast enough, so it can run on slower devices and still be OK.

--Eric

Realmaze3D on the App Store
Realmaze3Free: 3 free mazes (a taste of Realmaze3D)
05-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
A touch is fine as long as you don't need the missing elements (camera, vibrate, etc.). But keep in mind the 2G touch is the fastest device. So if your game runs just barely fast enough on it, it will be too slow on everything else. It's better to either get a 1G touch, or make sure the game is always more than fast enough, so it can run on slower devices and still be OK.

--Eric
I agree. You can easily develope with the touch so long as you don't need to test the camera, mic, or the vibrate. Also, you will need a mac, so I hope you have one!
05-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSpentYouth View Post
I agree. You can easily develope with the touch so long as you don't need to test the camera, mic, or the vibrate. Also, you will need a mac, so I hope you have one!
Actually, doesn't the mic in a headphone remote on the touch work in the same way? Do games in the app store account for that with the 2G touch yet?

As for the speed, I agree. I have a 2G touch and my game (not trying to plug it here guys) runs super-smooth. Yet my friend has it on his 1G touch and there is a definite drop in framerate. Luckily, it is still fast enough to enjoy the game, although he probably has the advantage of a lower difficulty now because of it.
05-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

I guess I'll use the touch for now. Hmm I wonder if it'll also work on an unlock iphone or jailbreak Touch.

I didn't know we also needed a mac to develope for the iphone/touch so thanks for that information as well.

I dont have a mac right now so I guess I have some time to read the SDK or something before I can get one.

Thanks again.
05-17-2009, 10:32 AM
2G Touch is the fastest? Coolio.

Anyways, yeah you need a mac. A mini is 600$ and I think that's the cheapest it gets.

Hey, anyone remember me? I used to be the #1 in Pygmies Eaten by T-Rex in PG.

I love to beta test. I've done about 5 or 6 apps. You can PM me if you want, I'm running an 8GB ipod Touch 2nd Generation. 3.1.2 Software also. Thanks.
05-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Actually, doesn't the mic in a headphone remote on the touch work in the same way? Do games in the app store account for that with the 2G touch yet?

As for the speed, I agree. I have a 2G touch and my game (not trying to plug it here guys) runs super-smooth. Yet my friend has it on his 1G touch and there is a definite drop in framerate. Luckily, it is still fast enough to enjoy the game, although he probably has the advantage of a lower difficulty now because of it.
Actually, it is possible to code for the iPhone mic and forget to add the Touch mic. There a few extra lines of code that allows you to use both.
05-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
2G Touch is the fastest? Coolio.

Anyways, yeah you need a mac. A mini is 600$ and I think that's the cheapest it gets.
You don't NEED a mac, you need a MACOS. Although the work around can be a little bit complicated, it is most certainly more cost effective.

I am developing on a Windows machine right now using VMWare and MACOS X.

That's all I am going to say.
05-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
You don't NEED a mac, you need a MACOS. Although the work around can be a little bit complicated, it is most certainly more cost effective.

I am developing on a Windows machine right now using VMWare and MACOS X.

That's all I am going to say.
Lol. Yea, it's possible to do that, but not effective. You can make a Hackint0sh, or you can actually get the beautiful hardware that Macs are, and the beautiful software that make "It just works". For some reason, I actually think that WWDC COULD bring an SDK for Windows. It would be great for the App Store, but lose a selling point for Macs. I heard that Mac Mini sales have quadrupled since the SDK was released.