Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 AM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimstone82 View Post
You are then just basically using paying customers as unwitting guinea pigs and I'm sorry, but that is shady business practice.
It seems pretty witting to me. If you buy a game the day it comes out, without waiting to see any initial reviews, aren't you consciously taking the chance? And what have you lost? It seems weird to me that you would rather have the game delayed two months for an extensive QA process, but you can't wait two days after it comes out to see how it's received.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
It seems pretty witting to me. If you buy a game the day it comes out, without waiting to see any initial reviews, aren't you consciously taking the chance? And what have you lost? It seems weird to me that you would rather have the game delayed two months for an extensive QA process, but you can't wait two days after it comes out to see how it's received.
Sorry, but I expected to be able to play the game that I had just paid $10 for. It was released on the App Store, stupid me for thinking it was going to be playable.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by chespace View Post
Haha, that was random.

I'm enjoy the crap out of this game, crashes (and I mean TONS of crashes if you're fiddling around with ship designs) and all.

Amazing game for someone like me who grew up daydreaming about Stark Trek II tactical battles and was tempted to play Star Fleet Command (the pen and paper game) but never had the friends or the courage.

What's the easiest way to earn currency in this game?
You get honor points currency for spending less than the max available for a battle. So if you can use up to 50k for example and you spend 40k, then you will earn 10k if you win. However, the game remembers previous hp earned and you can only earn more on the same battle by being more efficient than before. So if you earned the 10k from my example, then play that battle again and spend 35k, you will only earn 5k more. So to earn a lot of points, first play through all the battles, make better more efficient shops and play again, learn from your successes and failures and continue to make your ships more efficient, and get more hp one thing I learned early was that frigates are mostly a waste of money, coding nearly as much as a cruiser but dying much faster. They are okay on some very specialized roles (anti fighter and support mostly), but for the most part an effective fleet will have mostly cruisers and fighters. Perhaps more advanced users have found ways to use them effectively, but that's my impression so far.

Last edited by Royce; 04-18-2012 at 02:14 AM..
Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 AM

Should I sound the troll alarm?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
Of course, as a matter of fact, when I release software I *don't* have to make sure it's perfect on day one. The great thing about software is, unlike a car, it's easy to fix after release. And if it's just a game, not a nuclear reactor control system, if there are problems they do little harm. You can spend huge amounts of money and effort on testing and you still won't release a perfect product or find all of the problems that your users will find on day one. It's much more important to fix problems when they are found, than to find them all in advance.

But, if it really bugs you, again, there is a simple solution. Just don't buy it on day one, at least wait to read the reviews.
You sound like a developer, so your stance is a little surprising. I kind of go out of my way on iOS to support devs on DAY ONE so that my impulse sale registers, and it helps them to make more games. I understand that the app store market is highly competitive and difficult, so I was under the impression that supporting games on day one BEFORE the INEVITABLE week one price drop, is the best way to show support.

I ESPECIALLY wanted to support THIS game because Cliffski was kind of half into the iPad based on his tone in his blog.

Since my last post, the game has crashed quite a few times during the ship-building phase such that I don't even boot it up anymore, instead waiting for the update.

I own a disturbing amount of iOS games($$$$), and I can tell you that I can count on one hand the number of apps that I've owned that have crashed as often as this one does.

From the voice of a dev, your advice is both surprising and interesting...

Last edited by sakinnuso; 04-18-2012 at 06:59 AM..
Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinnuso View Post
I ESPECIALLY wanted to support THIS game because Cliffski was kind of half into the iPad based on his tone in his blog.
I'm surprised to hear that. I wonder if it was simply the difficulty of indie games with premium price tags (low as they are relative to other platforms) succeeding on iOS. The game seems like such perfect match for the device, though it still needs a couple UI changes (lose the tiny sliders and arrows and let me swipe those lists up and down). With stability improvements and a few other fixes it will be awesome, and if they ever add multiplayer, campaign, and sharper graphics when zoomed in, it would pretty much be a required download for anyone with an iPad.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinnuso View Post
From the voice of a dev, your advice is both surprising and interesting...
I guess it's my different background. I worked at Google in the early days. One of our big advantages was that the cost of making mistakes was so much less for us than for big software companies like Microsoft. In 1999, if Microsoft shipped an OS with a bug in it, that bug is going to be on millions of systems for years. So they have to have an enormous QA process, which is very cumbersome and time consuming and really limits their ability to innovate. By comparison, we found ourselves running a website where if we pushed some software to the website with a bug in it, the bug might show up right away but as long as we could fix it very quickly, it wouldn't really affect many users or cause any big problems. So we were able to take a lot more risks and move a lot faster, by accepting that maybe we would make more mistakes and yet that's ok.

So I am more sympathetic when people make mistakes, at least if they fix them quickly. The modern software market has mechanisms where people can get automatic updates, so mistakes can be fixed much more quickly and thoroughly than in the old days where if you shipped software on a CDROM, any bugs would remain unless users went out of their way to find a website and download a patch. Or the even older days where if you shipped software on a floppy disk, any bugs in that software would be forever. One of the downsides of Apple's approval process is that it does take longer to release bug fixes on the App Store than developers would like.

I'm not saying it can't hurt people's business to release buggy software. Obviously it makes a bad impression on users, and if your users aren't happy when you have a business problem. And this software may well be buggier than most. But I'm taking my *own advice* and waiting for the first patch! It seems to me that most of us know that you can buy an app the second it comes out, and it might be good or bad, it might have bugs or not, the developer might release updates quickly or not at all. If those risks concern you greatly, the simplest thing to do is to wait a few days after release, and see what you're getting. It's really not a huge burden, from my point of view.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I didn't find this game especially buggy. I agree that there are a lot of UI tweaks which could be made, and I did encounter that flipped UI bug. I also had a few battle-end crashes, but the Mac version is also a little unstable and glitchy, too. I still found it very playable and I'm surprised at how well it performs, given all the activity going on.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:37 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
one thing I learned early was that frigates are mostly a waste of money, coding nearly as much as a cruiser but dying much faster. They are okay on some very specialized roles (anti fighter and support mostly),

I have found some interesting ways to use frigates so far, and I tend to have more of them in a battle than anything else. Frigates are best at specialized roles, and you have to give them detailed orders. So for instance I have a frigate Shield Breaker ship. Long Range shield breaker missiles set to assist other ships that are attacking, and because I have them with only long range weapons, I can order them to stay at max distance of their firing range. I also like EMP frigates who are also ordered to stay at their max range, but primary role is to attack any ships firing on my cruisers.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:27 AM

Any idea how long this update is going to be. Seems to be taking a long time if it's already been submitted.