★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Apollo Eagle?

05-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Apollo Eagle?

Anyone have any thoughts, or has anyone tried Apollo Eagle? It looks quite interesting, I'd buy it, but I don't have have much money to spend right now. Anyone tried it? Is it worth it?

05-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by Thorero View Post
I'd buy it, but I don't have have much money to spend right now. Anyone tried it? Is it worth it?
are you serious? 0,79$?

much money?
05-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Well actually yeah, it is. I'm having to pay for my accomadation, taxes, food, car, and right on the bottom of the list, is iTunes Cards. I don't really have the cash to splash on a $15 iTunes card, when I can barely put enough petrol in my car. Hence, I've only got $5 in my account. Now, 5 x $1 purchases, and I've just spent enough for one of the big titles. So that is why I am asking if anyone here as any comments on said game. Simple.
05-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Hmmm... looks like a copy of the X-Plane series, but in space. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to control the X-Planes, therefore, I didn't like it. Looks interesting though... almost like Sully's Flight.
05-21-2009, 08:26 AM
It's much simpler than any of the X-Plane sims. You only control the thrust and pitch, both of these via onscreen buttons. Tilt is only used to move the camera around, which is purely a visual thing. The pitch control is unrealistic as you directly control the angle. Really, the thrusters should control the pitch speed which would make it a more interesting challenge.

I quite enjoyed playing it a couple of times, just to work out the technique. It's all about reducing forward speed to near zero before you get the vertical speed under control. It's made quite tricky by a pretty tight limit on fuel. I'd say it has very limited replay value once you've mastered the trick.

Worth the price if you're not on a very tight budget, but not a must buy unless you're seriously interested in the subject matter.
05-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Once you get bored of landing it perfectly, which isn't hard, then another challenge is to see how big a crater you can create on the moon by using the lander as a missile.

My record is a 50 metre crater.