Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Don't confuse controls with inertia. The inertia is "floaty." The controls affect the degree of success with which your intentions translate into the character's movements. Floaty controls would mean noticeable lag between when you issue a command and when your character follows it, and that isn't the case here; the problem in this case is the ease and consistency of hitting the required direction on the d-pad, and an action button that's inexplicably placed almost in the centre of the screen.
Agreed. As I mentioned earlier, I have no real problem with the d-pad, but the action button is in an uncomfortable place, which makes it difficult to achieve some of the very cool special moves. For me all it needs is a tweak, not an overhaul.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Agreed. As I mentioned earlier, I have no real problem with the d-pad, but the action button is in an uncomfortable place, which makes it difficult to achieve some of the very cool special moves. For me all it needs is a tweak, not an overhaul.
I only really have a problem with the d-pad for vertical movement. Try doing a slide while running for example (press down.) If you can do it consistently 4 times out of 5, you're doing better than me. 5 out of 5 should be a cinch with good controls. Now imagine doing it when under severe pressure in later levels.

I do agree not a lot is required for a fix, but by the same token not an inordinate amount of common sense was required to place the action button elsewhere in the first place, so I don't really know.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

^Yep it amazes me when theres some ridiculous errors of button placement etc, didnt anyone who beta tested this mention it to them ?

Saying that as other people have said it wont need much of a tweaking to become a really good game. Graphically it looks great, the controls are a bit bizarre specially for anyone with fingers bigger than a 3 year old.

Played the first world and did enjoy it i admit but could be better if the controls/buttons were improved. Good start though and for 69p its great value, just needs a tweak !
Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

Yes its a great start, 1.0 needs controls tweaking: the way he initially moves and the floatability too.... just look at League of Evil 2 for inspiration, control-wise is perfect.

And now on to the good side as this is a lot of fun... digging all the power ups

EDIT: So what is PlayFripp thinking about all this?

Last edited by TheFrost; 04-17-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

With all the complaints about the controls, I was expecting the worst. They're pretty floaty, but far from being gamebreaking and I've still found the game quite enjoyable.

Sure, they could use some tweaking, but overall this is the kind of Mario-esque game that iOS needs. Sure, there's a few others that try, but few have succeeded. Really liking the level design, power-ups and graphical style.

With there being so many micro-platformers like LoE and the like, the more longer-level format 2D platformers, the better.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
With all the complaints about the controls, I was expecting the worst. They're pretty floaty, but far from being gamebreaking and I've still found the game quite enjoyable.

Sure, they could use some tweaking, but overall this is the kind of Mario-esque game that iOS needs. Sure, there's a few others that try, but few have succeeded. Really liking the level design, power-ups and graphical style.

With there being so many micro-platformers like LoE and the like, the more longer-level format 2D platformers, the better.
Level 1-5 has been kicking my ass, but I can honestly say that it's all do to 1) the Mario-style inertia, and 2) my own damn greed. None of my deaths have really been control related. This is one of the more hardcore 2D platformers in the App Store, and even though the controls could be improved, the game is very much a ridiculous bargain at the current price.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Gotta agree about the control placement, and size of the d-pad. Especially in 2x mode on the iPad. Also the inertia. It feels like you're running around a Mario ice world.

But as others have also said, the graphics, level design, enemies, power-ups, everything else is top notch. My wife's really enjoying it, and I'm sure my kids will as well once they get home from school.

I'll keep playing with the hopes that the controls and movement will grow on me... But for a buck, gotta agree with Gabrien; it's worth checking out for yourself.

Sorry I can't add anything new to the conversation... It's all pretty much been covered.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Greetings,

I started playing Wawa eagerly last night. Something that has not yet been mentioned is the graphics and animation - it is gorgeous! There is a remarkable attention to detail and aesthetics. I felt the same way about the inertia at first (not the controls themselves which work fine for me) but then I remembered that this element was deliberate and adds a certain idiosyncrasy to the character not unlike Yoshi in Yoshi's Island or Luigi in Super Mario Brother's 2. I Think that Yann was really successful in the implementation of fun powerups, something that is lacking in many recent platformers. The diversity of the level design is also excellent which prevents the game from becoming repetitive. This really is a hardcore platformer wrapped in a cutesy package.

Concerning the D-Pad Yann mentioned that a customizable D-Pad would be included in a future update:

http://bit.ly/Iutb1u

Last edited by retr0spective; 04-17-2012 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Grammar, spelling
Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

A lot of potential!
Lower inertia (it is Mario on ice) + have a normal d-pad and fix button loactions + add extra heart (or an easy mode) = WIN!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to PlayFripp

Hello to everyone!
And thank you very much for all your advices! I am really busy with the press now, but you've got to know that I read every post from all of you, and it is really important for me to get your feedbacks and feelings to fix the game. So thanks

I have to be fast, so here are want you all to know:
- By reading the feedbacks, I decided to make a quick update (in 3-4 weeks) with a customizable d-pad system and the game center (if possible).
- I do not have decided yet if the app will be universal, it is a technical decision. So it may be or not, but it will not be done before few months.
- I will try to precise the inertia as soon as I can.
- Is the game so hard ?.. because I thought of a super hard mode for the last update at the end of the year... lol
- Remember that I make that game and all the communication alone! So please, be patient, I swear that I do my best

Anyway, thanks for all your advices and compliments I am really really happy that you the most of you like the game