★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pools of Blood

05-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Pools of Blood

The game came out awhile ago, and slipped beyond the memories of those who saw it. It's only a dollar, so I TOFTT. I will post impressions soon.

Game play is similar to defend your castle only it looks like no upgrades.

05-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Looks poorly made, am I wrong?

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
05-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
Looks poorly made, am I wrong?
Well it is made by an indie dev who doesn't have any other games out, so being their first game it's not bad. Game play is tap and drag to rotate camera, and tap on the incoming orcs to smash them. If you don't tap on them you can actually move them around and group them together for a combo smash. There are 3 gameplay modes, on is very slow and entertaining for awhile, but the real fun is playing on the other 2 modes. Waves of orcs come in, and eventually faster and bigger orcs appear. Sometimes it can get pretty hectic and makes gameplay frantic and fun. The sound effects could use some work, I'd really prefer more grotesque yells and such as you smash the orcs to a pool of blood. The online highscores are a plus, and adds replay. The game is full of orc puns which can after awhile get boring. I like how after you lose the game, your blood flow is measured as "a trickle" or "a stream" and so on.

If you didn't like games like stickwars or defend your castle this probably isn't your cup of tea. I like it though, it's simple orc smashing fun.

05-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Don't get me wrong it's fun and all, but like Flight Control can get pretty boring. It would be awesome if an update added upgrades like special spells or power ups to use. Maybe even the ability to repair your tower so you can play longer.

05-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Looks kind of like Squish Squash but with orcs.

Squish Squash got boring pretty quickly but it features:

- 100 Exciting Levels
- 20 Bonus Rounds
- 2 Game Modes
- 4 Levels of Difficulty
- Lush 3D Graphics and Sound
- Squashing Combo System
- 5 Types of Bugs
- 5 Types Power-ups
- Awards to unlock
- 3 User profiles to track progress
- Highscore Boards
- Changing time of day

So it's got more than Pools of Blood at the same price, although the blood isn't red...

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
05-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Pools of Blood has infinite levels I think.
Frustrated with an infestation of Orcs? Worried that a professional pest control service will exterminate your wallet in this fragile financial time? Take matters under your own finger and deal with the invasion with ‘Pools of Blood’. Carpet the world with a rich coat of Orc amber while protecting your ocean views from the ravenous green onslaught, using the mightiest weapon of your arsenal ... your finger. Smash them one by one or herd a few into a group and squish them together. Progress through the rising tides of endless Orc fodder, building your score and competing with friends. ‘Pools of Blood’ is a simple and fun game, an excellent pastime, and a very effective way to manage Orcs. Enjoy.

* Excellent stress management
* Squish Orcs like bubble wrap
* Fast and furious gameplay
* Live progress bar shows your current achievement against your personal best and players around the world
* String multi-squish combos together to rack up big scores
* Tap near Orcs to push them around and set up your combos
* Live global high score table; compete against yourself and friends
* Splatter engine helps you paint the town red
* Three game modes, ranging from relaxing to relentless
* An orcstandingly fun game