★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Giant Fighting Robots (Makers of X-Plane)

05-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Giant Fighting Robots (Makers of X-Plane)

[App Store Link, $4.99]

From the creators of X-Plane comes a really FUN new combat sim that really turns the iPhone and iPod touch into a mini game-station of pretty significant power... THIS is the virtual-reality combat sim that many of you have been waiting for.

Much like X-Plane, Giant Fighting Robots is fairly complex, with pretty accurate physics... but being in a Giant Fighting Robot with Guided Machine Guns, Lightning-Guns, Gatling Lasers, and a dozen or so other weapons, trying to defend yourselves against artificially-intelligent, heavily-armed alien fighter and bomber spider-bots on a dozen foreign worlds... well, the action gets quite a bit more intense.

You will start off in the Genesis-Class ATAW (All Terrain Attach Walker), which is nothing more than a modified cargo-walker with a few modified aircraft air-to-ground guns mounted on the top. It is a pretty silly defense against the alien attack, but it is all humanity can throw together on short notice. As you defeat the alien invaders at progressively harder levels, the Human Cascade will have time to develop increasingly powerful ATAWs and weapon systems, making each of your future combat engagements more complex and violent as you move into faster moving ATAWs like the Huron, or heavier ones like the Galaxy or Titanic, and move into command of really frightening weapons systems like the Flame-Thrower, High-Capacitance Laser, Ion Cannon, or Guided Torpedo. We believe this is the most immersive, intense combat simulation for the iPhone... can you handle it? Can you WIN it? We can.. but it isn't easy!

NOTE:

As well as fighting against the artificially-intelligent aliens, you can play in multi-player death-matches against your friends, choosing your ATAW weapons, reactors, batteries, armor, engines, and jet-durations to maximize the lethality of your attack... and here is where the fun just gets so amazing it is about impossible to put your phone (or iPodTouch) down! [/QUOTE]

So it looks to be a mech sim along the lines of battletech etc, and it could have immersive gameplay since this is the x-plane people behind it.

Currently Playing::Meteor Blitz, EW Jim, Boost 3D, COD: Zombies, Eliminate::

Last edited by salsamd; 05-17-2009 at 06:37 PM.
05-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Heh so they did use that awful name for their game.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
05-17-2009, 05:35 PM
YES! robot jox!
05-17-2009, 05:39 PM
It doesn't look appealing at all. The name also is a turn off...
05-17-2009, 05:39 PM
looks almost exactly like iron sight.....

Currently Playing: MiniGore, LUXOR, Baseball Sluggers, Zenonia, Spy Bot Chronicles,
openfeint ID: stykman Plus+ ID: Stykman
Twitter: Stykman1 follow me
Beta tested: 15 games
05-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Look, I have no idea if this game is any good or not...I'm waiting on impressions to see if I buy it or not, but regarding the name: GIVE IT A REST. Do you honestly think they weren't having a bit of fun with the name? I seriously doubt they were doing anything other than saying, here's a game about GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS! If that sounds fun to you, the name is perfect. Much better than the countless iterations of "i" titles. Would you rather iRobot? I wouldn't. Give the developers the benefit of the doubt.
05-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to skamando
The graphics don't look to bad, but, as usual with the makers of x-plane, the interface is terribly ugly. So unappealing.

Faves: Saucelifter, Westbang, Eliss, Edge, Tilt to Live, Mindwall, Radial 50, Super Quick Hook, Sword of Fargoal, Carcassone, Trainyard.
Playing: Super Mega Worm, Aqueduct, Monster Dash, FASTAR!, Shining Force, Frogatto, The Incident, Dark Nebula Ep. 2.
05-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Look, I have no idea if this game is any good or not...I'm waiting on impressions to see if I buy it or not, but regarding the name: GIVE IT A REST. Do you honestly think they weren't having a bit of fun with the name? I seriously doubt they were doing anything other than saying, here's a game about GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS! If that sounds fun to you, the name is perfect. Much better than the countless iterations of "i" titles. Would you rather iRobot? I wouldn't. Give the developers the benefit of the doubt.
that is exactly what i think. + i just like the name
05-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
i like you. i was going to post the same thing haha. also by having such a "bad" name it's a good marketing strategy. plus now if anyone searched for giant robots, or fighting robots, this should pop up first

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*