Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-21-2012, 06:15 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Big Albie,

How far did you get in the game? I'm thinking not very far at all, based on some inaccurate information in your review.

Firstly, resources are not converted into gold which you use to buy units... Each units have a combination of different resources to build them. Gold is simpl one of those resources.

The production buildings do not need to be placed near their respective resource, they instead get a boost in production if placed nearby.

EXP missions are most certainly NOT combat free. A fair number have plenty of combat. The first two are the only two i recall not having combat.

I don't mean to come across as being rude, it is very well written, however, it is not terribly accurate, and seems to make a lot of assumptions about gameplay.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

As much as I love Albie's reviews, Ako brought up very valid points...

I also think playing the EXP missions are a huge part of the gameplay experience, as they usually help add to your strategic decisions; once completed, almost always showing you ways to expand on where and how you place structures and units, as well as how you move them. I really think going through the game without completing the EXP levels would take just as long as if you stuck with it, figuring them out instead of retrying missions you might end up having a hard time completing.

Anywho... Thanks to Albie for the review, and Ako for the info. I really believe TWB is a game that most strategy fans should check out... Hope you do...

Also hope they decide to add a skirmish or MP mode... Would be FRIGGIN AWESOME!!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Well they did say look out for updates so imo I think it's either expanded play or.... SKIRMISH. I'm gonna bet on skirmish just because they probably know everyone wants it.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 PM
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Lawliet View Post
Well they did say look out for updates so imo I think it's either expanded play or.... SKIRMISH. I'm gonna bet on skirmish just because they probably know everyone wants it.
Skirmish is the only reason I'd want to play this game for.

The puzzle like campaign and EXP missions bore me.

Pretty sure Total War fans would agree with me on this.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:03 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post

I like Total War. I also like both filet mignon and a good tri-tip.

Of course, it is a little startling to get one when you're expecting the other.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:30 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 04-21-2012, 06:23 PM

As a pretty solid fan of Total War, I like Battles. Would I rather have something closer to TW? Sure. But that doesn't mean Battles isn't good or enjoyable.

Last edited by Almy; 04-21-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Old 04-22-2012, 02:07 AM
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post

No, I think a majority of us will disagree with you. It really looks like you play the original TW franchise just for the skirmishes (recruit-attack blindly fingers crossed) and hated all their campaign (strategy). But I have to agree that using the TW name is just misleading marketing.

As a TW fan, I think that this is an entertaining game enough with resemblance of Bloodshow and the campaign unit production of TW. Also, the exp missions are tough like a SOB but they do lead you to play better.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 AM
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by limmyfox View Post
No, I think a majority of us will disagree with you. It really looks like you play the original TW franchise just for the skirmishes (recruit-attack blindly fingers crossed) and hated all their campaign (strategy). But I have to agree that using the TW name is just misleading marketing.
Oh whoops I figured that was some unclear expression on my part -_-

What I really meant was, I think the majority of the people who played a TW game was for the skirmishes. You know, the free flowing battles. No puzzling elements but just your army against the enemy.

Of course, that connected the word skirmish with the skirmish mode, which was implied in my original statement.

Sry for the unclear expression. Anyhow, you would agree with me that you'd not like TW on PC (as much) if the campaign was a series of puzzle scenarios right?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

I'm halfway through the final ten missions, and it appears so far that each of the mainline missions from this point on offer EXP upon completion. I have to test it some more, but it may be only if you have a three star victory. So it looks more and more like IAP is entirely optional.

A note about skirmish mode, any mission can be replayed, and the AI makes use of different units and tactics each time. I suspect there will be a skirmish mode of some kind once the main campaign is completed, and may have something to do with the Sendai Code unlock in the options menu.

Also, the campaign is basically a big tutorial introducing ne units and gameplay each step of the way.

I'll be back with more info when i get that far, then sum up all my findings about the game.

Oh, and ninja units are awesome!

Last edited by Ako Vendetta; 04-22-2012 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Add thought