★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: 2K
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 440.2 MB
  • Version: 1.1.2
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: All hands on Deck! Sid Meier's Pirates! is an exciting high-seas adventure that allows buccaneers to helm one of 27 fully customizable ships as you descend upon unsuspecting ports of call to amass a motley crew of seafaring bandits. As a fearless Pirate Captain you will collect hidden treasure maps, undertake daring missions and courageous rescues, and swiftly hand out pirate-style justice to local braggarts at every port. The wild call of the ocean will lure you back to sea where you'll encounter enemy pirates and engage in mind-blowing open sea battles unlike any other game before on the iPhone.

Overflowing with intense pirate action, Sid Meier's Pirates! features a treasure chest of gameplay riches including traditional minigames, such as Sword Fighting, Ship Combat and Dancing.

Take the helm of 27 ships and customize them with assorted ammo, cannons and other upgrades
The classic adventure by renowned creator Sid Meier, re-imagined for the iPhone to take full advantage of touch controls
Use the iPhone's touch controls to parry, counter and effectively out duel your opponents into submission with lightning quick moves onboard ships, in taverns, and even in the exclusive Governor's mansion
Challenge and pursue the most famous pirates in history, including Blackbeard, Captain Kidd and Henry Morgan

04-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Hell yeah! been waiting for this to hit iPhone as I heard iPad version was good

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3

04-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Finally...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Holy cow, 2K does a crappy job promoting their games. This was completely out of the blue. I was hoping for this for a long time now. Glad to see it finally come to the phone, but man, 2K...

Will be interesting to see how well this one's supported.
04-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Oh yeah! I love this game.
04-19-2012, 07:48 AM
My god that looks fun

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
04-19-2012, 07:52 AM
I read complaints that the entire land party / invasion aspect was removed for the ipad version. Which amounts to about 1/2 of the fun. I presume this is the same for the iphone version, but .... /bought anyway. I always loved this game.

(GC = BUNGLEZ) (OF = farmersuitical) (Plus+ = bungle747) (Crystal = bunglez)

I review apps and games frequently in the UK app store, and here on the forums. If you want anything reviewed, just ask.
04-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Once I saw this, I thought "oh well, a lite version for iPad." When I saw it was for iPod Touch and iPhone, the next word in my head was "INSTABUY!!!" This and Tilt to Live finished off my iTunes card. Thank you 2K Games for finally releasing this for "the handhelds"! ^^

Gamecenter - tmw2114
Currently hooked on: Limbo, Plague Inc., SpellTower, Super Hexagon, Kingdom Rush, The Curse, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Hundreds, Bastion
04-19-2012, 08:44 AM
I really did not see this coming, and I really don't mind the surprise! I can think of few games better suited for pick up and play, but of the slightly more invested, time-consuming (think a few minutes rather than one) and immersive kind. I had fun with this on my Mac LC twenty years ago, just as fun 7-8 years back on the Mac/PC when the enhanced remake hit, and I'll probably have just as fun on my iPhone.

The classics are really starting to fill up the App Store. Before too long, we might be creeping ourselves out with thoughts of mobile-sized zombies in Alone in the Dark, harvesting yet another few thousand crystals in Star Craft, but this time in Retina, and perhaps even let our eyes be fooled by the smaller screen and proudly proclaiming "Oblivion for iOS looks just like the Windows counterpart!" (and for those who fancy such activities, jumping through hoops and performing near-identical versions of the same task over and over in World of Warcraft ), all on our iOS devices. If we can just get Overhaul Games to port the enhanced Baldur's Gate to iPhone as well as iPad, we need never again look at a new and innovative title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglez View Post
I read complaints that the entire land party / invasion aspect was removed for the ipad version. Which amounts to about 1/2 of the fun. I presume this is the same for the iphone version, but .... /bought anyway. I always loved this game.
This is a shame, and a durned loss. I wouldn't say "1/2 of the fun", though. More like 1/5 Let's make some noise about it, though, and perhaps 2K will add it eventually. (They did add custom scenarios to the iPhone version of Civ Rev, for example, after much requesting.)

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona