★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: 4/5 Touch Arcade "leaves your senses crackling from adrenaline"
4.5/5 iFanzine "skillfully recalls the 80s arcade experience"
Thumbs Up at PocketNext "Omegapixel manages to be refreshing and nostalgic at the same time"

You are MOHAWK JONES. You just punched in for a hard days work. Your job? PROTECT OMEGAPIXEL.

OMEGAPIXEL is an action defense game that takes place over 42 levels, as you face down other ships, alien baddies, and evil planet bosses.

The game toughens fast as your enemies' tactics evolve. Your only button trades your ships place with the Omegapixels your only way to cover the full screen and avoid some obstacles. Learning the varied enemies, their color schemes and patterns is key to keeping the Omegapixel safe!

Defeat enemies and space debris to collect credits, or simply purchase some in the game, to upgrade your ship. Tons of weapons and tricks and armors are available to make the game even more fun and your ship more powerful!

Mohawk will encounter full planets out for the Omegapixel in intense boss battles. Each planet boss has a unique pattern and method of capturing the omegapixel, some using homing missiles, mirroring your control schemes, or simply needing to be attacked at a specific time or place. Youll need to learn each boss (is that correct?) patterns to defeat it.

Throughout Mohawks shift we check in on him and his crew as they take breaks and talk tacos via 8-bit style cutscenes. Commander Gagolly is on Mohawks case via monitor, and of course the Mayor Of Outer Space pops in as well.

- Bend time and space
- Defend Omegapixel against 30 different enemy types
- Battle across 42 levels in Story Mode
- Complete 40+ missions and unlock new ships in Arcade Mode
- Battle with a friend in Co-Op mode (iPad only)
- Unlock over a dozen upgrades and items
- Start on iPhone, continue on iPad w/ save game syncing via iCloud
- Optimized Retina graphics for The new iPad!

Also, take a look at our other title Four Hats while your at it!

tacograveyardllc's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Now available on the App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/omegapixel/id498996071?ls=1&mt=8

We decided to make the app free so everyone gets to play. Let us know what you think!

More screenshots and information can be found here: http://blog.tacograveyard.com/pages/tbdop
04-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Woah. Started playing the Arcade mode, and next thing I knew, 30 minutes had flown by. Definitely enjoying this! It's a great retro arcade title. Thank you so much for making it free. =oD

The teleporting mechanic is fantastic. At first, I didn't get it, but then by my third game, it made sense (so after about 30 seconds of gameplay)... And then I was hooked. Trying to smash into everything I could, leading the enemies back n forth across the screen... Great stuff. Super actiony... Great controls... Really... Love it. And I haven't even checked out the story mode yet. =oP

04-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Awesome! Glad you like it. Story mode gives you a slower intro, arcade really throws you into the action. Spread the word!
04-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Looks great - going to give this a try!
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
@AnarKitty, awesome! Let me know what you think. We love feedback!
04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
I'll be checking this out when I get home. Love a good retro space shooter and it sounds like you've got some cool gameplay elements.
04-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Wow. Where did this come from? Love this game, sadly off to work now, more feedback later.

Tim Eggers
04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Really really enjoying this. Just got into story mode this morning, and WOWZERS. Can not believe this is free. I went ahead and bought Four Hats to try and show at least a little support...

Any chance you'll add GameCenter in an update?
04-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Really really enjoying this. Just got into story mode this morning, and WOWZERS. Can not believe this is free. I went ahead and bought Four Hats to try and show at least a little support...

Any chance you'll add GameCenter in an update?
Thanks! Love the support! Four Hats is definitely a *hard* game, I hope you enjoy it. It came out of our last Ludum Dare in December.

It should have prompted you for GameCenter on the first run, otherwise you'll need to go into the GameCenter app to enable it. I'll do an update with an option in Settings that makes that easier to get to. I'll also do a quick check for any bugs in that code.
04-20-2012, 03:04 PM
I seriously cant stop playing this. The controls are very responsive at what they do, and there is inertia on your movement in space. The graphics and the tunes are pretty good.

Youre controlling a spaceship and there is this Omegapixel that you protect by swapping places with it. Youre ship can smash through enemies and asteroids by bumping into them, but you lose a life when they damage the omegapixel. There are other factors into the game that keeps t interesting other than the few I have mentioned. On the later levels, the gameplay becomes very positively hectic to keep you on your toes.

You can upgrade your ship with different enhancements like producing a damaging shockwave everytime you teleport (swap with omegapixel).

There's a story mode, and an arcade mode. I havent played arcade mode yet but i am assuming it's some kind of endless version of the game where you need to score as high as possible until omegapixel gets destroyed. Looks like Arcade mode also has objectives similar to Jetpack Joyride's system.

Gamecenter shows up but i cant find a leaderboards or achievements yet. Maybe they come in a future update?

This game needs leaderboards at least, especially with the arcade mode, to increase the game's replayability and give players more incentive and drive into playing the game more and score better.

Overall, Protect Omegapixel is a very enjoyable polished game that needs gamecenter leaderboards to shine some more. I may just have missed it though.

Great retro graphics, 8-bit sounds, responsive controls and a fast and frantic action gameplay is everything you can find in this gem.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword