★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

All Fighting Fantasy apps on sale ($2.99-> $0.99)

04-20-2012, 06:31 AM
All Fighting Fantasy apps on sale ($2.99-> $0.99)

To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Fighting Fantasy, Big Blue Bubble Inc. has announced that all 5 interactive gamebooks will be available for $0.99 on iTunes. The licensing agreement for these iconic books is set to expire soon, which means this limited time offer is your last chance to own these exclusive, interactive gamebooks before they disappear forever. So donít delay, download them today.

You can now experience the book on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad and will love the classic story and original illustrations with a technological twist. No more dice, pencils, or bookmarks. All the special features are built in!

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

Deathtrap Dungeon

Citadel of Chaos

City of Thieves

Creature of Havoc

Features:
* New! Player Achievements
* Universal app iPad support
* Scrolling image gallery of unlocked in-game art
* Tap the on screen buttons to flip pages (No papercuts!)
* Shake to roll the 3D dice using the accelerometer (or tap through with ease)
* Inventory items selectable via touch-screen
* Game-save feature allows you to retrace your steps
* Includes both original illustrations and digitally re-mastered versions
* Integrated iPod music library access

Last edited by StaggerLee; 04-20-2012 at 06:34 AM.
04-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Probably has something to do with Epic Games acquiring the license and recruiting indie/student developers to port the books to the Unreal engine. Source.

So now do I pick them up, or wait for the Unreal versions?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Got the 4 that were missing from my collection..
I prefer the gamebook series and above them I prefer the Choice of games Series but reading that they may be gone and not knowing how the new ones are going to be I decided to snag them at this tiny price
04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Probably has something to do with Epic Games acquiring the license and recruiting indie/student developers to port the books to the Unreal engine. Source.

From what I've seen, the new licensing agreement doesn't mean that the new apps will be gamebooks. In fact, they look like they're more FF inspired than ports of the actual material. I would assume that these gamebook versions can still stick around, but I am not well-versed in how digital publication, licensing and copyright law work.

Anyway, I would get these for $1 apiece. They're classics, and contain some of the best fantasy art you'll ever see.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
04-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:

The actual gamebooks aren't being ported to any engine; the games that are being developed are all completely new incarnations (wave-based defense, action-adventure, pseudo-RTS, etc.) very loosely based on the events in the original books and, quite frankly, all look like complete and utter rubbish.

If you're interested in the books as gamebooks, not amateur interpretations that look like gods-awful bargain bin shovelware from the early 90s, just grab the existing titles in the app store.
04-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
The actual gamebooks aren't being ported to any engine; the games that are being developed are all completely new incarnations (wave-based defense, action-adventure, pseudo-RTS, etc.) very loosely based on the events in the original books and, quite frankly, all look like complete and utter rubbish.

If you're interested in the books as gamebooks, not amateur interpretations that look like gods-awful bargain bin shovelware from the early 90s, just grab the existing titles in the app store.
That's unfortunate. They should have done for Gamebooks what Legend of Grimrock has done for dungeon crawlers.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
04-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
That's unfortunate. They should have done for Gamebooks what Legend of Grimrock has done for dungeon crawlers.
While Meghara is doing that for gamebooks, to tell you the truth, sometimes I appreciate the more spartan book + dice combination. (It's also a lot easier on my iPhone's storage space! )

If you have any interest in gamebooks, mash the buy button on Warlock RIGHT NOW and play with it a bit to see if you'd like the others. Deathtrap Dungeon is the other real FF classic of these, but it's soooo brutal - not a good 'first' gamebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
04-20-2012, 01:26 PM
If you had to pick one - which book would be the best out of these?
04-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Card View Post
If you had to pick one - which book would be the best out of these?
The two of these five that I remember most from playing with the actual books are Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Deathtrap Dungeon. (Also the first two released on iOS)

Warlock of Firetop Mountain is a good all-around gamebook. There's a reason it had sequels and video game spinoffs.

Deathtrap Dungeon is just set up to kill you. (Hence the title. ) It also spawned a Playstation video game.

Creature of Havoc has a very unique story - you get to play the monster in this book. It's pretty good.

City of Thieves and Citadel of Chaos are average FF books.

If you want more details about these, check out gamebooks.org

I already bought these all at full price - if you're a gamebook fan, I'd highly recommend any of them for a buck each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
04-20-2012, 03:12 PM
If I really liked the Gamebook Adventures series, would you recommend this series as well? I don't really have time to try them out and I don't want to go out and buy all five of them because the reviews for them are pretty subpar. I bought City of Thieves for now since it sounded pretty interesting, but I don't know if I should take a leap of faith and just buy the rest before the sale ends. I just wanted to get some more opinions on people's impressions.

Also, I heard that you have to start over from the very beginning if you die. It sounds pretty annoying unless these books are much shorter than the GA series.

Current Favorites:
Agricola, Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer, Carcassonne, Card City Nights, & Outwitters.