★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Brandnew Boy $3.99 -> $0.99

04-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Brandnew Boy $3.99 -> $0.99

Glowing 4/5 star 148.com review

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by gunxsword; 04-21-2012 at 05:23 AM.
04-21-2012, 02:42 AM
This was my post from it's main thread, when i got the game... This was in the previous version, so im not sure if stuff have been changed. I have downloaded the new one but havent played yet.

EDIT: I want to add this... to a line from below:
"I guess they found some way to slow down powerlevelling, or force IAP to the grinders"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Here's one thing to take note of. You CANT replay missions infinitely in a short period of time. There are "smiley points" that you use to pay for replaying a mission. O_o

Regular missions take 1 Smiley to replay, and Boss fights take 3 Smileys to replay.

Fortunately, these smileys can be bought with ingame money, OR they replenish on their own like 1 smiley every 3 hours.

So far, I didnt see anything that could increase the number of smileys, and I've had a max of 10 since I started playing.

I guess they found some way to slow down powerlevelling.

Playing a mission a first time until completed does not cost any smiley. As long as you havent completed that mission, it doesnt cost a smiley to play it.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

04-21-2012, 02:45 AM
At a buck, this game should be worth getting. It's a pretty unique take on the mission-based action-adventure genre.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
04-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Woot! I'm not seeing any smiles! Guess they have removed it in one of the updates .

GREAT brawler. Simple controls with a timing based combat system. Your attacks feel powerful and it's really satisfying to fight.
04-21-2012, 03:44 AM
I'm assuming smiles are different from the "OC" listed in the IAP list? Explanation please?

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
04-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
Woot! I'm not seeing any smiles! Guess they have removed it in one of the updates .

GREAT brawler. Simple controls with a timing based combat system. Your attacks feel powerful and it's really satisfying to fight.
I had to see it for myself so i loaded up Brandnew Boy into the 4s.

There isnt any Smileys anymore! Unfortunately, the initial bonus was also gone. In the first version it gives you free gold. I think it was around 50,000.

Also, a lot of stuff is different.

Looks like I will have to spend a lot of time on this one. LOL.

04-21-2012, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
I'm assuming smiles are different from the "OC" listed in the IAP list? Explanation please?
Yeah that's confusing me too.

In the shop screen, a lot of the items are locked behind a level requirement so I'm unable to see their price.

The only purpose for OC I can currently confirm is to exchange for coins.

Btw the skill bar is now located down the bottom left corner (middle right border of the screen in images).
04-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Do you still need some kind of currency to replay a mission?

Game Center - masterwaks

Add me up!
04-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Would love to play it. Didn't work for me. Buyer beware if you are playing on 3GS. Looks cool, though.
04-21-2012, 08:30 AM
picked this up cuz i wanted to waste a dollar.... this is a pretty fun game xD

if you got the device to run this, you should pick this up

Playlist
Brave Frontier - Dragon Blaze - Hearthstone - Sproggiwood - #YMBAB