★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Will apps/games be compatible with the 3.0 update?

05-18-2009, 02:32 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 623
Will apps/games be compatible with the 3.0 update?

Will all idevice games be compatible with the 3.0 update or should some of us game players be concerned in terms of losing game date and not being able to play games we've spent money on?

Helvetica will treat you good if you take time to understand her.
05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
#2
Apple informed all devs a couple weeks ago that all new updates will be tested against 3.0, not 2.x. So they're going to be rejecting apps that aren't working. So we're all supposed to be spending the next few weeks fixing any problems, before 3.0 comes out. However, Apple says that any apps that do not work may be removed from the store when 3.0 is live. So if there's a game you're worried about, write the dev, to make sure they're ready.

Expect to see a giant load of updates soon, all pertaining to 3.0 compatibility fixes.

05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
#3
The biggest problem I see coming is all the apps and games that have been released and NEVER updated or only updated one time many months ago. Apple may be testing new submissions (whether they are brand new apps or updates), but how many people do they have going through the thousands of older, possibly orphan apps? Probably zero. I think they expect each developer to do their own beta testing on 3.0 whether they have a planned update or not.

I haven't had time to issue a new update to Rogue Touch lately, but I have tested my current version 1.5 personally on OS 3.0 beta 5 to ensure it will be OK. No problems of course.

It's easy to imagine some serious chaos when 3.0 goes live if devs don't follow instructions and check their own apps, thankfully I wont be part of the problem

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
05-20-2009, 08:51 AM
#4
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
The biggest problem I see coming is all the apps and games that have been released and NEVER updated or only updated one time many months ago. Apple may be testing new submissions (whether they are brand new apps or updates), but how many people do they have going through the thousands of older, possibly orphan apps? Probably zero. I think they expect each developer to do their own beta testing on 3.0 whether they have a planned update or not.

I haven't had time to issue a new update to Rogue Touch lately, but I have tested my current version 1.5 personally on OS 3.0 beta 5 to ensure it will be OK. No problems of course.

It's easy to imagine some serious chaos when 3.0 goes live if devs don't follow instructions and check their own apps, thankfully I wont be part of the problem
I hope that they will go thru all apps and remove those abandoned ones.
05-20-2009, 09:06 AM
#5
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 516
----

Last edited by Jane; 04-15-2011 at 11:01 AM.
05-20-2009, 07:54 PM
#6
Good opportunity to get rid of some of the trashy ones. There NEEDS to be some form of basic quality control IMHO, there are too many dumb clones or novelty applications. Otherwise decent apps/games get lost amongst the debris. Sure, there are sites like this to say what's great and what isn't but most people are going to rely on the reviews in the Store. And we all know those aren't always 100% trustworthy...
05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by craneballs View Post
I hope that they will go thru all apps and remove those abandoned ones.
They won't. That's a full time job. I believe it's going to be up to the customers to complain to Apple about an app not working. But I agree with you, I'd love it if there were a sweep. But how would that look in advertising? The App Store: Now with 20,000 less apps than before!
05-21-2009, 01:30 AM
#8
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Munich
Posts: 384
Send a message via Skype™ to rdklein
Quote:
Apple informed all devs a couple weeks ago that all new updates will be tested against 3.0, not 2.x. So they're going to be rejecting apps that aren't working
Indeeed they do - just happened to my lite version of clapboard due to a bug in the beta 5 it was rejected, so I had to implement a workaround and resubmit.

All apps from now appearing in the App STore are supposed to be compatible with 3.0b5.

The announced to remove ll Apps not being compatible later on.

RadioactivityCounter on App Store developer of this App RadioactivityCounter 2012
Ports of Call on App Store developer of this game 1986-2009,