★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Who wants a proper Space Trader like Elite or Frontier ?

05-18-2009, 07:04 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,227
Who wants a proper Space Trader like Elite or Frontier ?

I really hope someone makes a proper deep space trader like Elite or Frontier : First Encounters. It would be amazing and would gather a cult following that would play the game for literally years to come !

If anyone agrees then post your ideas for the game here. Maybe some dev will read the thread and make our wish come true !

My ideas for an up-date on this genre : - make it an MMO , also make it with real Newtonian physics like Frontier so it's a proper challenge flying your ship. I'm sick of half-assed casual games and want something I can get my teeth into !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frontier31.png
Views:	13
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	3912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frontier_elite2_screenshot.gif
Views:	16
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	3913  
Attached Images
 
05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,215
no thanks for me. space trader moon madness is the shiznit, don't need an others.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*

05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
#3
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 818
Moon madness is pretty cool but the 3d aspect is unnecessary cuz it wastes battery on such a simple concept that doesn't need 3d
05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
#4
The best space trading game in terms of depth is Dark Nova. Limited graphics, but the space trading aspect is well implemented.It's a perfect port of the Palm game Space Trader, and even has the original developer working with the Dark Nova team. The economy is dynamic, and will fluctuate based on various events, which you can find out by purchasing an newspaper. Plenty of ships to buy, though somewhat limited in the number of weapons and ship accessories you can get. It's free, so give it a whirl.

Space Trader: Moon Madness is good, but extremely limited given there's only 3 locations (Dark Nova has over a 150 systems).

I have heard though that one of the prominent iphone developers are making an Escape-Velocity type game. Also, the Dark Nova crew has ambitious plans, and if they can get the funding we might see the kind of game you're looking for.

Last edited by theblackw0lf; 05-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
05-18-2009, 07:14 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf224 View Post
Moon madness is pretty cool but the 3d aspect is unnecessary cuz it wastes battery on such a simple concept that doesn't need 3d
tower defense games don't need to be 3d, however some of the coolest ones are. space trader suprisingly is very light on the battery, it's not very battery intensive. the 3d is necessary to find the left behind goods. if it wasn't 3d I would dislike it. I like being able to explore and SEE the aliens in 3d.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*
05-18-2009, 07:19 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchampl View Post
no thanks for me. space trader moon madness is the shiznit, don't need an others.
This game is nothing like Elite or Frontier. It's massively limited in concept compared to what i'm thinking of ! Check it on wikipedia. It makes that game look like being trapped in a one-dimensional rabbit hutch !

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Encounters

Last edited by bigred447uk; 05-18-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: edit to add link
05-18-2009, 07:28 PM
#7
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchampl View Post
tower defense games don't need to be 3d, however some of the coolest ones are. space trader suprisingly is very light on the battery, it's not very battery intensive. the 3d is necessary to find the left behind goods. if it wasn't 3d I would dislike it. I like being able to explore and SEE the aliens in 3d.
It sucks my battery. And just for reference how long standard does an ipod touch 2nd gen battery last while playing apps? Mine lasts maybe 3 or 4 hours occasionally just 2 depending on the games. wondering if anybody else's lasts longer or is that the standard.
05-18-2009, 07:33 PM
#8
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackw0lf View Post
The best space trading game in terms of depth is Dark Nova. Limited graphics, but the space trading aspect is well implemented.It's a perfect port of the Palm game Space Trader, and even has the original developer working with the Dark Nova team. The economy is dynamic, and will fluctuate based on various events, which you can find out by purchasing an newspaper. Plenty of ships to buy, though somewhat limited in the number of weapons and ship accessories you can get. It's free, so give it a whirl.

Space Trader: Moon Madness is good, but extremely limited given there's only 3 locations (Dark Nova has over a 150 systems).

I have heard though that one of the prominent iphone developers are making an Escape-Velocity type game. Also, the Dark Nova crew has ambitious plans, and if they can get the funding we might see the kind of game you're looking for.
Thanks. Not heard of Dark Nova. I'll check it..... Does anyone out there want a proper Space Trader or is this thread gonna meander off into a discussion on battery life ! Surely the idea of an open-neded sandbox type space trader with unlimited options of how to define your career appeals to someone ?
05-19-2009, 01:13 AM
#9
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Poland
Posts: 99
It would be great to get something like the first Frontier for iPhone (cause FFE is probably too complex). Heck, I would pay 10$ easily for it.

PS. Dark Nova right now is FREE (introductory price).

Cheers,
f.
05-19-2009, 03:34 AM
#10
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 539
I just need Elite. I liked the radar and the rotation, trying to get into a port without auto-pilot Good ol' times!!!
Frontier wasn't bad either but the times it took to fly from jump-point to a station or the planets was nuts...
Still have my original copies and packages

Add me: GameCenter: Crypton72
Agon|CloudCell|GameloftLive!|OpenFeint|Plus+: Crypton
Proud Member of Touch Arcaders Against Piracy!
Follow me on Twitter!