★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Roll a Stone - out soon

11-19-2008, 08:34 AM
#1
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 42
Roll a Stone - out soon

Hi everyone,
I just want to present my new game that is coming out really soon. It's called Roll a Stone. You control a stone by tilting the iPhone and your mission is to take all the stars before the score hits zero. The score is decreasing with time so it's not as easy as it sounds. The game also features a multiplayer mode, where you can play against your own best result. When you play, the stone's movements is being recorded. When you later play in multiplayer mode, you will see two stones where the other stone is controlled by your best recorded score. This way, you can let your friend try to play against your best result too.

The full version will cost $3.99. I will also release a demo version so you can try it out and see if you like it or not. For more information and screen shots, take a look at the web site: www.rollastone.com

Cheers,
Lars
11-19-2008, 11:55 AM
#2
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsef View Post
Hi everyone,
I just want to present my new game that is coming out really soon. It's called Roll a Stone. You control a stone by tilting the iPhone and your mission is to take all the stars before the score hits zero. The score is decreasing with time so it's not as easy as it sounds.

So this is pretty similar to BiiBall? the Multiplayer sounds cool though..

Plus+ ID: Wegmans

11-19-2008, 11:59 AM
#3
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,268
the game looks polished and fun

it would be sweet to have more game play modes

maybe an A.I enemy of a ball that tries to catch you, and if hits you..game over

or a puzzle/maze edition where you tilt your way through it...

your engine looks amazing for that
11-19-2008, 12:02 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,094
uhh biiball looks more appealing
11-19-2008, 12:04 PM
#5
Biiball from above

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
#6
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
So this is pretty similar to BiiBall? the Multiplayer sounds cool though..
I think BiiBall is a really nice and good looking game. Roll a Stone is however not that similar to BiiBall when it comes to the actual game. In BiiBall, you should not hit the walls or any obstacles. In Roll a Stone, you will hit and bounce off the walls, which is sometimes necessary to maintain speed. In BiiBall, you only have one path to go and that is forward. In Roll a Stone, it's not apparent at all time where you should go, because the maps can be pretty huge and sometimes you have multiple options in which direction to go. My inspiration is the game Rock'n'roll to the Amiga, if anyone remembers it.

The control of the stone is similar to the iPhone game Labyrinth. You hold the iPhone horizontally and then you tilt it slightly to make the stone roll in any direction.

The multiplayer part is really fun. In a future update, I will add so it will be possible to upload the recorded game to a global hi-score list. It will thus be possible to download the best result from other players and play against them, which will make the multiplayer part even more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
it would be sweet to have more game play modes

maybe an A.I enemy of a ball that tries to catch you, and if hits you..game over

or a puzzle/maze edition where you tilt your way through it...
Some levels are already maze like. In some levels, you have to find a red star to open a red wall and the red star is hidden somewhere in the maze. In other levels, you will have to find both a red, blue and a green star to get through the red, blue and green walls. Some levels have different parameters for the friction and acceleration so that it feels like the stone is really heavy, or really light. Then, there's also some levels that don't have any walls at all in some places, which is tricky because you don't want to fall off.

Thanks for the idea of an A.I. enemy. I will think about how it would be possible to implement it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to implement it for the first version.
11-19-2008, 02:16 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsef View Post

Some levels are already maze like. In some levels, you have to find a red star to open a red wall and the red star is hidden somewhere in the maze. In other levels, you will have to find both a red, blue and a green star to get through the red, blue and green walls. Some levels have different parameters for the friction and acceleration so that it feels like the stone is really heavy, or really light. Then, there's also some levels that don't have any walls at all in some places, which is tricky because you don't want to fall off.

Thanks for the idea of an A.I. enemy. I will think about how it would be possible to implement it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to implement it for the first version.
awesome
now you mentioned a time control
is there also a free/sandbox aspect to the game, where you can dont have to rush the clock and can complete it at your own time casually..like 5 minutes at a time sitting on a metro

also, down the road..either user created maps/missions would be cool..or an editor

def. interested in this
let us know when it is out
11-19-2008, 02:36 PM
#8
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
awesome
now you mentioned a time control
is there also a free/sandbox aspect to the game, where you can dont have to rush the clock and can complete it at your own time casually..like 5 minutes at a time sitting on a metro

also, down the road..either user created maps/missions would be cool..or an editor

def. interested in this
let us know when it is out
If you run out of time, which means you have negative score, you can always continue the level you are playing as long as you like but you won't unlock the next level. This way, you can always learn about the map at your own pace, which for some levels is absolutely necessary.

I would also love user created maps and have thought about it, mostly because I know each level by heart and it would be fun to play levels that I don't know anything about. It would be great if people could upload their own maps directly from a map editor in the game. But I want to prioritize the global Internet multiplayer mode, which I think will be great. I wonder so much if anyone can beat me on level 6, because it seems I can't beat myself anymore. The other stone goes to fast.

I also plan to open up a forum on the www.rollastone.com site, so people can discuss the different levels etc. But all in due time. First I have to release the game, which will hopefully be sent to the App Store this week.