Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM

Default Word Off! (by Toy Studio) [Universal]

Hi everyone, a while back, I announced a game our small studio was working on called "Word Off!"

Based on the feedback we got from you all here, we made a bunch of tweaks and it is now on iOS as of last night. Word Off! is entirely cross platform so when you play on your iOS device of your choosing, you might be playing against someone on an Android device or on the Web.

Here is the link to the App Store version of Word Off!

We wanted to do a turn-based word game different than the other ones out there. Let us know what you think!

TL;DR

This is the trailer

This is where to get the game (free download)

This is what Word Off! looks like -

EDIT: If you want to play against me, my user name is "Hijinkz"

Last edited by ToySoldier; 04-26-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 06:07 PM

Downloaded the game, and it looks interesting, but I really wish that there was a way to play against an AI opponent. The reason being that I don't have to wait around for the computer to make it's move. I can actually sit down and play a game.

I'll admit that I haven't played a game yet. This is because the tutorial is online and for some reason it's taking forever just to load each page. I wish it could have just been in the game

Also, not a fan of the "Free Game" and then find out that it's $2 to turn off the ads and then money to buy more boards. Yes, I imagine that you will earn coins by playing and then you can get more boards, but it really is something that turns off most savvy IOS users.

When will people figure out that we just want a game and we want to play it. And, we'll pay for it. Doing the "pay to get rid of ads" and "pay if you want to get more boards quicker" just puts a bad taste in your mouth.

Oh, and as a note. By the time I've typed this, I've only been able to see two pages of your tutorial. This is with the 4S. I'll just wait until I get to a zone and can see the whole thing... Please just add it in an update. Would have been a whole lot easier...

But... as I said... I like the idea for the game. Just getting a bit frustrated with it now...

Oh, and have people not figured out that we can click on the names of the reviewers and see that if they only review games by the same company, they are likely an employee for that company. Just be honest and own up to it. You can give yourself a five star rating and tell people that you are a dev on this game and tell them why you love it. I would rather read that than someone trying to make it look like they just stumbled across the game.

I added this last part because I was bored waiting for another page to load on my tutorial so looked into their reviews. If you had put the tutorial in the game I might not have bothered to look. And to top it off, I finally just got a screen on my phone saying that the page failed to load. Sigh.

Last edited by QuickWit; 04-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Noticed they stuffed the review box.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 PM

@QuickWit - Thanks for the feedback! We wanted to be as fair as possible with the way we award coins. People that have started playing today have already purchased boards.

In addition to that, one of the reasons why the app was rejected (twice) was because we wanted to remove ads if you bought anything in the game. That didn't fly so we were more or less forced to remove that option.

All that said, we really appreciate the feedback and we'll be keeping a close eye on this so we can adjust if we need to. Feel free to play a game with me! My username is "Hijinkz"

@Sanuku - Thanks for making the game info look all nice and pretty
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Not sure if this is a bug or not... But I couldn't play the game at all when I was out of my WiFi zone. Is this really the case?

I'm talking about doing the Pass and Play version of the game. Why do I need to be connected to the internet just to play a pass and play version of the game?!

I REALLY want to like this game, but I'm not at the moment. I still haven't been able to see the tutorial because it keeps timing out, I can't play against a computer opponent for practice, I can't even play a casual game with my wife unless I'm on the internet.

Then there's the whole IAP thing. You say that you wanted to add it to the "buy anything and we'll take off the ads" format and that was rejected (which is odd, because I have many games that did that, but... okay). If that's the case, why is it $2 to get rid of the ads? sounds like you were willing to take them away with a $1 purchase plus you got coins. Maybe give a lot of coins for spending the $2. It's not the money, it's the principal.

This is not the mobile experience that I'm used to having.

Here's hoping at least a few things can be fixed up in an update. As I mentioned. It's a game I want to like. If I didn't I wouldn't bother bringing things up here. I would just delete it and move on.