★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Trend, The Craze, and The Fad

11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
The Trend, The Craze, and The Fad

From Sudoku to racing. Tower defense to FPS. Crappy games to retro styled games. The list goes on.

It seems there tends to be a bunch of games that all come out around the same time that are in the same genre. But every now and then there is a gem that appears that sets the tone for the next wave of copycats or a competition to see who has the best game in that genre. Unless the creative virus spreads across all the developers and gives them the same symptoms thus creating the same kind of games at the same time?!

What kind of games are we missing?

RPG is the game genre I want to see more off, but a good RPG one!
11-19-2008, 10:28 AM
i swear final fantasy will b out dec
11-19-2008, 10:51 AM
3d fighters - I am pretty sure Funky Punch is the lone game in this genre right now.

I'd love to see some Mortal Kombat ports!
11-19-2008, 10:57 AM
what your seeing is basically how the market is suppose to work, not only on a new platform, but a new economy of sorts

5 months into it, your are starting to see more developed games...
so by this time next year....oh mah gawd...you'll be paying 20 - 30 bucks quite possibly for them...but those Sudoku games will be worth it
11-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Isn't this the same everywhere?

For full $60 retail games, you get the good ones, and you get a crapload of crappy ones. Just look at all the WWII FPS games, MMO games, casual games that are clones of Dinner Dash, Zuma, Geometry Wars, etc.

What makes the AppStore seem 'worse' is that the development time and effort is easier to produce the clones and low quality titles.

I been working on a TD game for the last 4 months non-stop, and been aiming for quality that I never thought I would be aiming for when I started. My problem right now is that this project is consuming so much of my time and resources, that selling it for anything less than $10 feels the effort I am putting into it is not worth it. But I have to deal with what market is willing to pay for and choose a price that probably will end up being less than $10.
11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
True the quality of games is getting better and at the same time crap games appear in abundance. Holiday games?

I agree that the reason for this phenomenon is that the money and time put into creating games is a lot less than those spent in making games for other platforms such as the X Box, Wii, PS3, etc.. I know it is much easier to take a familiar subject/genre and work with it to develop it and make it better.

I feel more research should be done in reviewing boards and forums such as these to create more of what people want or take more time to look into creating something no one has ever seen before or take popular titles and prep them for the iPhone/iPod Touch

I know there have already been some forum threads with more specifics on that topic.

Again RPG and yes fighting games.

Puzzle games are driving me crazy?! Plus I have two full pages of them now...