Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM

Default Tower of Fortune - (by Game Stew)

Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.x

I love the look of this. Thought about picking it up earlier but saw some weird spots of English. However, as long as it is not bad I will grab this.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
I love the look of this. Thought about picking it up earlier but saw some weird spots of English. However, as long as it is not bad I will grab this.
It`s currently on Sale (1.99 -> 0.99) so you should grab it asap
Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

might spend the dollar for my wife. she likes these kind of games......but $1.99 and no universal version is not cool.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Yeah, that put me off as well.

EDIT: That, and the likelihood of IAP, which I now see from the video is indeed present.

Last edited by Gabrien; 04-28-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Old 04-29-2012, 01:30 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.x

Ended up buying this and it is excellent. Really nice art style and it pulls off the dungeon theme very well. A little brutal when you die but that is the way these games should be.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:33 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Downloaded this on a whim this morning when I saw it high up on the Popular list on appshopper. And oh my what a surprise of a gem! Been playing it all day.

I felt compelled to leave an app store review, which I shall reproduce here:

The good news about the screenshots is that the impressions they give are validated and surpassed by the actual gameplay. Surprisingly simple game with deep RPG elements.

Combat, tavern and gold loot results are determined by spinning the slot machines, with pleasantly varied results. Combat can result in damage, xp or gold, for example.

Proof of classic RPG thrill in this game came when I found myself beaten to a pulp by the first boss I encountered. And the high of magic items when I finally beat it.

Magic loot and level-up perks are randomly generated but you get a choice - Dungeon Raid style. In fact, I almost want to say this fine little game gives me the Dungeon Raid vibe and that is such a relief from the numerous RPGs on the app store that promise a lot but fail to deliver.The app store needs more casual one-handed RPGs like this.

Graphics in Tower of Fortune are charmingly retro - if the opening screen with the hero silhouetted against the dark tower, the scene pelted by rain and flashes of lightning does not send chills of excitement down your spine, I doubt you are a true RPG fan!

Still some room for improvement - more screen tips and some status indicators (eg. When hero is stunned) would help. With some further development, Tower of Fortune would be well on its way to becoming an instant iOS classic.

Addenda: I'm still at the second level (Gate) of the tower so I haven't actually played that far, I suppose. But regarding IAP, so far I've not seen any compelling reason to buy gold. If you just keep playing, gold will accumulate. I hit the jackpot a few times and got 900 gold each time, which is quite a cause for celebration. Most of the time post-encounter gold is in the 10 - 100 range. I've used gold mainly to buy potions (they're insurance against death) and bombs, and saving up for more inventory slots. Oh and visiting the tavern has rarely been so NOT a chore! Equipment seems to come mainly from boss drops. Anyway my point is that IAP really doesn't seem necessary and does not bother gameplay or progress. I would not avoid this game for that. It's been a blast so far.

Last edited by Tritone; 04-29-2012 at 02:44 AM..
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Too bad this doesn't seem to have an epic soundtrack. I guess I'll have to just play the Sword and Sworcery one in the background
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

So after seeing this thread I bought this and have to say it pretty fun so far. The graphics are very cool looking retro style and so far the game is a great simple to play game. Well worth a shot for 69p
Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Well I'm back after having time to play for an hour or so more and I'm really enjoying this, the more I play the better it looks, at first it just looked like a slot machine type game with rpg elements attached on but after playing some more its really cool to keep grinding the lower level enemies for xp to level up and it has some kind of random perk thing kind of like dungeon raid has.
Well anyway anyone who has a slight interest in this should really pick it up, I've been thinking about it since release and after picking it up earlier today I would have been just as happy getting it at full price.
There's a lot more to this than it first seems.