Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Default WRC: The Game

Old 09-15-2012, 04:18 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 8.x

Saw this last night, gave it a try. Firstly for those interested it doesn't run on an iPod gen 4(it states the supported devices in the description, but being free I Thought I would try anyway). It runs fine on my wife's iPad 2 though. So far it's not bad, although I have a feeling IAPs are gonna kill this for me. You start with 3 of the 14 cars unlocked and one of the 4 rallies. From what I can see there are only 2 stages in each rally( at least that's the case in the first one), so for me it's bit light on content. What is there is very nice, the handling is pretty good with an arcade bias but not rediculous, the graphics a pretty good there is a lot of detail. I need to play a bit more to see how it goes, but as I said I think the IAPs are going to make this a bit of a grind. Worth a try for free though!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:23 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

This game on Unreal Engine!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

Might pick it up anyway, but I ''s'pose I'd like to see a video of it in action. How 'bout it?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Might pick it up anyway, but I ''s'pose I'd like to see a video of it in action. How 'bout it?
Never...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen14 View Post
This game on Unreal Engine!
...Downloading! Expect the usual as soon as I`m back from my first Race.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 8.x

Just realized that this is the dev doing the console and Vita versions out next month.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The handling doesn't do it for me as a driving game.
The frame rate on iPad 3 (even though it is not using retina output) is not smooth, so it kills any flow there might otherwise be.
The steering is not very nice either - seems you cannot tighten your turn and even in the weirdly labelled "drift areas" it's impossible to get the tail out. Admittedly it's on tarmac so this might be better on dirt tracks but I'm not hopeful.
For me, the whole thing is too arcade-style.

IMO the best driving app (I won't call it a game) for iOS is Driving Speed: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/driving-speed-lite/id441000217?mt=8

It's a PC port originally written by one guy, but I think he has not had a decent enough take-up or response from iPad version to warrant spending any more time on it. So the reason I can't call it a game (yet) is that you get just 1 track and 3 cars.

But the feel of the cars is awesome - you can really feel the weight, have to take proper racing lines and can feel when you are on the limit. You need to give yourself time to slow down for the bends (braking for like 4 or 5 seconds after the longest straight) so it's definitely more on the "sim" side of life.

The transition to oversteer is also really convincing, so once you get used to the controls it's satisfying to drift around corners just a wee bit, on the edge of grip.

The AI (cars) are a bit crude but it would kick in real-time multiplayer.

Such a shame it seems we will never get the whole game because I would love the entire track collection on the iPad!

Give it a try - it's free
Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Not as good as Collin McRae/WRC FIA 2010 World Rally Championship a few Years ago but still a look worth I guess.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Those are bullshots in the app store. It is NOT retina res on the new iPad and it looks like total ass. Choppy frame rate, ugly pop in even with the short draw distance. And I love rally sport. Stick with Fish Labs excellent rally game, 2XL's great Trophy lite rally and Invicta's Race of Champions for much better playing experiences.

I have many PC games by Milestone and I like them very well... But they obviously do not have any experience in iOS development and this is total pants.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:07 AM
iPad (3rd Gen)

This game is absolute trash. Its offensively ugly. Has barely any content. And you hit a pay wall within the first 5 minutes. Deleted this one fast.