Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
While I haven't purchased GS, I've heard that there is a pretty steep learning curve. I know you just started jumping into this game, but from what you've seen thus far, is this a game that a 12 year old can understand and enjoy? I'm looking to play this with my family.
Depends on your 12 year old . For me it's mind-bending and terribly daunting. But I think if I can get it, I'll be in love. And if I can figure it out, I think it'll be a gem for me. Personally I like that it's a solo game if you want it to be. That makes Me very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludonaute View Post
Hi!

I am the publisher of Yggdrasil. I beg your pardon in advance for my poor English.

Here are some answers:
- there is no online mode for the application; we considered that it is not the best way to play such an application of a co-operative game.
- Of course we included a tutorial in the app
- Sorry, the app is not retina-enabled; we are thinking now about it (but we were so excited to release Yggdrasil for Ipad as soon as possible ). The issue is to combine retina with the size of the app...

I hope that you would enjoy the game.
Cheers!
Anne-Cécile
Anne (is it okay if I call you that?), the game is great so far. I really enjoy it. But you HAVE to fix the text. For a game based on deep and complex rules, and a significant price point, having constant misspellings like "ennnemies" and weird disprgaized bolding/graphical disorganization in the text, it needs to be fixed. Badly. If there is any way I can help, I'd like to. I see tons of potential there, but this 'little' thing is a major put off.

Also, I read a few reviews that talk about changing the rules easily, but I see no way to change anything here, really.

The text in the game is something of a difficulty as well. Things are really small, and I'd love to see things at least a bit larger.

Lastly, I know this isn't possible so I don't know why I am even asking, but Landscape mode?? My lord I would love Landscape mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimb View Post
And while they are at it, why dont make this app universal? I secretly hoped this will be the case before release. I'd gladly play it on the iphone when I dont have the ipad on me.
This would be really really really really really difficult. The text is tough enough to read on an iPad, and would be impossible on an iPhone. Maybe not impossible, but very close.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:59 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
This would be really really really really really difficult. The text is tough enough to read on an iPad, and would be impossible on an iPhone. Maybe not impossible, but very close.
Yeah, I think an iPhone version would only be possible with a lot pan and zooming options.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Fired this game up last night and had such a good time, my heart was pounding. It has an even greater sense of tension than Elder Signs as you see the Enemies inexorably advance and you know they get stronger with every step. I managed to squeak out a win with three gods.

I found this game a lot easier to grasp than Ghost Stories (which I still don't have my head around), but still not as easy to understand as Elder Signs. If you like Elder Signs but you want to try something a little more challenging, get Yggdrasil!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousringo View Post
Fired this game up last night and had such a good time, my heart was pounding. It has an even greater sense of tension than Elder Signs as you see the Enemies inexorably advance and you know they get stronger with every step. I managed to squeak out a win with three gods.

I found this game a lot easier to grasp than Ghost Stories (which I still don't have my head around), but still not as easy to understand as Elder Signs. If you like Elder Signs but you want to try something a little more challenging, get Yggdrasil!
I have yet to win but I admire the elegance of this game. With all of it's complexity it literally just boils down to pushing the baddies back from their advance on Odin's Stronghold. You can quickly see at any point how many steps they are away from ending your game as well as exactly what benefits they'll get with each step forward they make. Also, even when the baddies have advanced to a game ending position you still get one final turn to try to turn things around.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I have yet to win but I admire the elegance of this game. With all of it's complexity it literally just boils down to pushing the baddies back from their advance on Odin's Stronghold. You can quickly see at any point how many steps they are away from ending your game as well as exactly what benefits they'll get with each step forward they make. Also, even when the baddies have advanced to a game ending position you still get one final turn to try to turn things around.
I agree completely. I've played around 5-6 games, and have yet to win. Unlike Ghost Stories though, I feel like I know what I'm doing, and will eventually win. The satisfaction will be very high once I do break through. Honestly, I don't think I've even gotten within 10 enemy cards of winning, but somehow I don't feel frustrated. I think I may need to experiment with different Gods. I'm picking ones that seem to have obvious strengths, but I haven't won yet, so I may just switch things up and see if there are some other benefits that I haven't caught on to yet.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

I liked Ghost Stories a lot, so obviously this one is on my radar too. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's just a matter of time.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I agree completely. I've played around 5-6 games, and have yet to win. Unlike Ghost Stories though, I feel like I know what I'm doing, and will eventually win. The satisfaction will be very high once I do break through. Honestly, I don't think I've even gotten within 10 enemy cards of winning, but somehow I don't feel frustrated. I think I may need to experiment with different Gods. I'm picking ones that seem to have obvious strengths, but I haven't won yet, so I may just switch things up and see if there are some other benefits that I haven't caught on to yet.
For what it's worth, the three gods I won with were Frey (4 actions), Tyr (rolls twice), and Odin (draws two enemies and puts one back). I can see how Thor's +1 bonus and Freyja's ability to do the same action twice would be pretty nice, too (e.g., use swap to load Freyja up with vikings and beat back two enemies in one turn).

As for strategy, I made sure to visit the dwarves a lot at the start of the game until each god had two +3 weapons specialized against each enemy and I spent a fair amount of effort booting fire giants out of Midgard so viking recruits were plentiful. I also didn't allow any frost giant to cramp my style for long.

One thing I think I relied a little too much on were elves. A lot of die rolls failed to produce even 1 combat, so I used a lot of elves to make up the difference, and I can't help feel that it would have been more efficient to forget elves and just harvest and commit more vikings to the fight.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:39 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to amn624 Send a message via Skype™ to amn624

Whoa. Progress is not saved? You start anew each time you open the game? Or am I missing something?

If I'm correct, why is there no save game? The amount of data needed to save all positions is minimal. Arrrgghh.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:22 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousringo View Post
For what it's worth, the three gods I won with were Frey (4 actions), Tyr (rolls twice), and Odin (draws two enemies and puts one back). I can see how Thor's +1 bonus and Freyja's ability to do the same action twice would be pretty nice, too (e.g., use swap to load Freyja up with vikings and beat back two enemies in one turn).

As for strategy, I made sure to visit the dwarves a lot at the start of the game until each god had two +3 weapons specialized against each enemy and I spent a fair amount of effort booting fire giants out of Midgard so viking recruits were plentiful. I also didn't allow any frost giant to cramp my style for long.

One thing I think I relied a little too much on were elves. A lot of die rolls failed to produce even 1 combat, so I used a lot of elves to make up the difference, and I can't help feel that it would have been more efficient to forget elves and just harvest and commit more vikings to the fight.
Any clue why one game I played as Thor and Tyr was letting me occasionally pick between two enemy cards? If this is Odin's power and I didn't have him in the game why would I get his ability kicking in?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:37 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by amn624 View Post
Whoa. Progress is not saved? You start anew each time you open the game? Or am I missing something?

If I'm correct, why is there no save game? The amount of data needed to save all positions is minimal. Arrrgghh.
Crap, I guess so and it seems odd as they have that "exit" button I just kind of assumed it was saving things when you hit that key UNLESS you want to start a new game.