iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Any multiplayer modes?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Reminds me of Liberty Wings
Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I had a chance to play through 9 missions so far, and it's just glorious. A great example of the kind of games they don't make any more. Except, well, they do.

I thought I'd post a few tips, since admittedly the game is a little cryptic in the way of instructions.

Actually, let me first try to explain what this game is, and what it isn't. It isn't a shmup. It's more of a kind of (limited) open world action/strategy game/RPG. The core gameplay actually probably most closely resembles something like Death Worm. But less hectic, and more measured. And instead of being below the ground you are above it.

In any case. Beginner tips:

-You can return to your ship as many times in a mission as you like to refill your ammo. You can even choose a different load-out each time while you're at it.
-You need to push down on the joystick to enter the ship's hold. (This should have been in the instructions.)
-If you get shot down or otherwise meet your demise, you lose valor points but you do not have to restart the mission. You restart back at the ship but your accomplishments for that mission remain.
-Experiment with different load-out set-ups once you unlock them. Unlike most shooting games where a different weapon serves mainly as eye candy to spice things up, the weaponry at your disposal in this one is suited to a particular purpose. Carrying a specific ammo/missile combo will affect both your strategy and the difficulty of the mission at hand.

If you have played one of the versions of this game before, you won't need much convincing, but if you haven't, give it a shot for an example of what the old farts are going on about with their "they just don't make them like they used to any more" rants.
Thanks for the heads up. Never played the Amiga original, but it does remind me of something I played on my Apple IIe back in the day. Only a couple missions in, but I can already tell that I'm going to be playing this a lot .
Old 05-05-2012, 02:40 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Does it have Bluetooth?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis17 View Post
@trundley
I have the exactly same problem, I very hope that come a update for the Ipod Touch Generation 4 in the next days.
Sry for my english, I'am from germany.^^
At least i'm not the only one getting this issue. Hopefully the bring English/British and German planes to the game as DLC! Once the game is fixed for us, of course.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trundley View Post
At least i'm not the only one getting this issue. Hopefully the bring English/British and German planes to the game as DLC! Once the game is fixed for us, of course.
Yes, a DLC was a fine thing, but I am quite satisfied if it is running on our devices, ^ ^ as I read it is the app from an Asian company is still hope that an update quickly and error fixes.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:08 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
Reminds me of Liberty Wings
Liberty Wings was the closest thing I found on iOS to Wings of Fury untill now. Any body who likes this should check that out too.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Apart from the 4th gen iPod bug, there's a graphic glitch which sometimes appears, which is a black vertical line when the game zooms in/out. It is very rare, but it sometimes happens.

After fixing the bugs, my suggestions for the game -which I really enjoy as it is, but I'd love to see- are:

- Speed throttle: this is a must, at least in my opinion.
- Alternative control mode which allows to do loops. With the current control mode I'm unable to do loops. If anyone can make a loop with the plane, please let me know how.
- Fuel gauge: it would add more strategy to the game, because you would have to pay attention to fuel and calculate when you have to get back to the carrier. A mini map would help for this. If the fuel gauge is not added, the mini map doesn't make too much sense.
- Damage meter: it's OK that we have infinite lives and the more you die, the less points you get, but I think that it would be great to know how much life I've got left until I'm destroyed. That way I would be able to decide if I should get back to the carrier to get the plane fixed or not.
- Several save slots: I want to play with the Japanese plane before I finish the US plane campaign, but I can't. If I do so, I'll lose my savegame and all my unlocked things.
- More planes from different countries (this one has been mentioned already).
- Bombers/submarines which menace your carrier: I don't know if these will come in later levels, but I haven't seen them yet. I remember playing a similar game on PC several years ago and you sometimes had to stop attacking the islands and go back to defend your carrier so that it wasn't destroyed. If it got destroyed, it was instant "game over".

I think that's all, but as I said, I'm really enjoying the game as it is. Btw, has anyone tried Wings of Glory? I have just seen it in the app store. It is quite old and has worse graphics than this one, but I guess it is identical to the Amiga game you're all mentioning.

Last edited by VirtualBoyFreak; 05-05-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Apple II "Rescue Raiders"

There was a helicopter game just like this on the apple IIc, except you gain money and use it to buy tanks, troops, anti aircraft missiles and repair vans while providing the air support. Pretty much "Trenches" iOS with a helicopter.

Adding those elements with multiplayer would make this game a definite buy. I'm enjoying the bare minimum so far but it has the potential to be so much more.

PS3- Birds of Steel/ Simulator mode needs to be on ios.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

So I'm assuming there is no multiplayer...