★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
05-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Game Impressions

Much as I suspected, the reports of graphics lag in multiplayer matches on iPhone 4 were greatly exaggerated, to the point of being only distantly associated with reality There is plenty of network lag at times, and on some VERY rare occasions slight drops in framerates, but never to the point of adversely affecting gameplay.

The fog issue, however, is, well, an issue. Opponents seem to come out of nowhere, and I suspect iPhone 4S users do have a slight edge, thanks to increased sight range.

But more importantly, the online implementation is just stellar! From killchain effects and perks and levels and tons of achievements and kill quotes and text banners that congratulate top players and statistics and career progression and weapon add-ons, to integrated automatic tournaments with rewards (something I've been hollering for in damn near every online game experience I've enjoyed for iOS)! If there is a more polished, fleshed-out, feature-packed multiplayer experience for iOS, I have yet to even suspect it exists. Even Modern Combat 3 is left behind in terms of power features (much thanks to N.O.V.A.'s integrated tournaments).

All the rest is pretty much what you'd expect. Amazing graphics for player, NPC, weapon and enemy models, bland environs, great lightning and particle effects, a story and narrative that neither touches nor engages, voice acting that covers the whole range from entertaining to annoying, well-acted and dramatic to directly painful to listen to, Gameloft's ingrained UI that might be good just because I am so used to it or because it really represents one of the best ways to to a FPS on iOS, and most importantly, gameplay, physics and controls that just feel SO right and good.

Gameloft wears the generic badge like a medal of excellence, working with polish and refinement instead of innovativity and quality of ideas. In N.O.V.A., this mindset has produced an entirely standardized and fully reiterative but amazingly polished and entertaining experience.

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 05-10-2012 at 08:50 PM.
05-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I'll wait for the iPad 3 fix

05-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Still confused about the "fog." Can someone please explain it to me I have not bought it yet.

My all time favorites: Battleheart, Shadowgun, N.O.V.A. 3, Zombieville USA 2, Infinity Blade II, Mage Gauntlet, Super Crate Box, Jetpack Joyride, Tiny Theif, and Plants vs. Zombies.
If you want to add me for any PC or iOS games, send me a pm
05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
graphics are awwesome, multiplayer maps are EPIC. but aim assist on stinger(rocket launcher) and sniper rifle when aiming down scope just makes the killing too easy with those guns
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuy...lol View Post
Still confused about the "fog." Can someone please explain it to me I have not bought it yet.
Just like in minecraft how when you turn down the render distance distant objects cannot be seen due to a hazy fog, distant objects are blocked by a similar fog in this due to low draw distance.
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
For a $7 iphone game people sure are picky... It's amazing for what it is
05-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Guys this game runs so smooth on iPad 3. I nly have one other game installed and I have 8gb of storage out of 16. Maybe multiple apps is whats causing issue. Game is playing really good. Including mp

Game Center I.D- Fastbridge

Twitch TV Channel Name- Donafello
05-10-2012, 09:19 PM
N.O.V.A. 3 Gameplay ( Campaign / online multiplayer )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke8GkTWkr8E
N.O.V.A.3 GAMEPLAY ( CAMPAIGN / ONLINE MULTIPLAYER )
05-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handintoaster View Post
Agreed. Also, if they had the default running at half resolution on the ipad 3, but with all the effects, i'm sure some people would still complain about it....

GameCenter- alui777
05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handintoaster View Post
IOS gamers are picky about 99c titles as well and we wonder and rage why most devs are going freemium.

Gamecenter username: marker1c. Now playing: Xcom Enemy unknown, Shadowrun Returns, LASW