★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Werewolf (party game 6+) aka Mafia

05-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Werewolf (party game 6+) aka Mafia

Werewolf $1 try demo has been a suprise hit at cubscouts. First I brought the card game and I was moderator then tried the iphone version which doesn't require a moderator. Only thing I wish this had was NOT revelealing who was killed or lynched. I never play it that way.

Personally my family no longer plays this but it lasted for 5 years thanksgiving and Christmas time. Reason is one of my sisters is such a good werewolf (in other words a great freakin liar) that there is huge friction and people don't let bygones be bygones. Best time playing it was mini family reunion played it with 17 people for four hours till 2am at a hotel recreation room which was about 2 or 3 years ago.

Anyway I've played this on three cub scout meetings (shhh don't tell committee chair) and each week they beg to play it. We do have to be serious though to pass their badges and what not.

Best part of this game is you can tell the truth and lie it doesn't matter. Also only play with very close friends as it's a very personal accusations fly and some might be easily offended.

Basically for those who've never played it the villagers try to lynch the werewolves during the morning. People nominate others they think are the werewolves but obviously innocent villages get lynched. During nighttime the werewolves awake and choose a victim to kill. Werewolves win if there is an equal number of werewolves to villagers. Villagers win if they lynch all the werewolves.

Here's the game report in which I won along with Joseph the other werewolf.

On May 6, 2009 at 6:41:18 PM PDT, Trystan, Braxton, Joseph, Adam, Aaron Jr, Aaron, and Brendan started a game of Werewolf.

The game was set up to contain two Werewolves and one Seer.

The First Night

Braxton is an Innocent Villager.
Joseph is a Werewolf.
Adam is a Werewolf.
Aaron Jr is the Seer.
Aaron is an Innocent Villager.
Brendan is an Innocent Villager.
Trystan is an Innocent Villager.

The First Day

The villagers lynched Brendan, an Innocent Villager.

The Second Night

Aaron correctly guessed that Joseph was a Werewolf.
Trystan correctly guessed that Joseph was a Werewolf.
Braxton correctly guessed that Joseph was a Werewolf.
Joseph suggested attacking Trystan.Adam decided to attack Trystan.
Aaron Jr learned that Joseph was a Werewolf.

The Second Day

Trystan, an Innocent Villager, was horribly mauled during the night.

The villagers lynched Joseph, a Werewolf.

The Third Night

Aaron Jr learned that Aaron was not a Werewolf.
Aaron incorrectly guessed that Aaron Jr was a Werewolf.
Braxton incorrectly guessed that Aaron was a Werewolf.
Adam decided to attack Braxton.

The Third Day

Braxton, an Innocent Villager, was horribly mauled during the night.

The villagers lynched Aaron Jr, the Seer.

Adam overpowers and devours the remaining villager, thus winning the game.

Last edited by mrbass; 05-19-2009 at 02:36 PM.
05-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I did a review of this game (on the unmentionable site) a while back and it's all right, but the problem I had with it is that Werewolf, Mafia, and other games like this are supposed to be "party" games where you are picking up things from others in the way they are looking around, smiling, etc.. Playing this game was really strange in the group because people just waited until the phone was passed to them. In my opinion it took a lot of the fun away from it all.

The mechanics for the game are good and the App does a nice job with them, but I prefer to play a game like this in person... it's a lot like buying a Rock, Paper, Scissors App. Sure the device can do it for you, but why bother when it's more fun to do it yourself. I'm excluding "Rock, Paper Scissors, Lizard, Spock" which I actually do have on my phone because I keep forgetting which object beats the other.

Try having the scouts play the game without the device and see if that works even better... At least that was how it goes for me.

Bob

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
05-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post

Try having the scouts play the game without the device and see if that works even better... At least that was how it goes for me.

Bob
Yea we did first game. Just we only have like 5 or 6 of us so me being a moderator makes it one less. Ideally you want about 8 to 10 people to play though. So yes one advantage iphone has over card version is eliminates need for moderator. But yes if I have a group of ten people I wouldn't blink a eye and definitely use cards. You can write them on piece of papers and pass them out or print up pdf.
05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Fair enough... I like to play these without the cards as well. A moderator is the one who knows and makes the announcements.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
05-21-2009, 11:00 AM
After reading Quickwit review he hit upon the fun factor being sucked out of the iphone version. Personally I still think there should be a werewolf app that eliminates the need for cards. It'd be awesome cuz I usually end up printing out cards and cutting them up. Just being able to play werewolf without need for a computer with internet and printer would be great.

My idea for a werewolf app would be so simple if I could program (obviously I can't) I would do this myself. Werewolf is a public domain game btw.

Input number of players, # of werewolves, seer yes/no, hunter yes/no, etc.....then it'll randomly create those cards and shuffle them. Player #1, Player #2, Player #3, etc.

You pass around iphone and it'll say Player #1 tap to see who you'll be. "Player #1 your are an innocent villager, tap to close" pass iphone to Player #2 "player number #2 your are a werewolf, tap to close", pass iphone to player #3.....once game begins it can have the moderate text...for example if using witch or little girl or not. Then just play as normal with everything having their role assigned to them.

Obviously if some goof off said they were werewolf you could see hmmm your player #9 and the moderator could see that player #9 is an innocent villager and ban him for all time and eternity.