★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Ballistic SE 1.99 -> .99

05-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Ballistic SE 1.99 -> .99

Playlist
Brave Frontier - Dragon Blaze - Hearthstone - Sproggiwood - #YMBAB
05-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Seriously considering getting this as a fan of Fireball SE and Super Crossfire (which, by the way, both of those games are also on sale).

But not really sure about this one. The lack of enemy variety and seemingly unoriginal gameplay makes me think I'd be disappointed by it after playing things like Infinity Field, PewPew 2 and Beat Hazard Ultra.

Last edited by awp69; 05-15-2012 at 08:50 AM.

05-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Is this better than Infinity Field and Beat Hazard Ultra (both of which are top dual stick shooters)?
05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
While the enemies look the same, they have different behavior. Some come right at you, some are stationary, some split up, some "charge" at you after it gets a lot on you, some can't be killed while not in ballistic mode...etc... The game is sort of like Fireball SE, but you can shoot.

This game kinda plays like a "Cave" version of DSS as you play for high scores. You pick up multipliers to greatly increase your score. You can last a long time, but end up with a low score (cause of low multiplier)...or have a shorter game but ending up with a higher score.

There's not as much variety compared to Infinity Field or PewPew 2. While there's 5 challenge modes, when you first start out playing, they feel pretty much the same. Personally my favorite space arena is still PewPew 1/2, but to me, Ballistic, Infinitly Field and Ultra Beat Hazard is pretty much tied for second. Ballistic for the insane, claustrophobic, high score chasing. Infinitly Field for the graphics and the different modes. Ultra Beat Hazard for playing with my own music, the boss fights, and when I want to burn my retinas out.

If you're a fan of Radiangames, I'd say pick it up anyways. If your a fan of arena DSS, pick it up. If your really burned out by arena DSS..then it's a harder decision.

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?
05-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelBoy2181 View Post
Is this better than Infinity Field and Beat Hazard Ultra (both of which are top dual stick shooters)?
I personally prefer BHU over Ballistic, but it doesnt mean Ballistic is bad. It is still a top notch dual stick shooter, but for me is a little behind BHU in quality.

If you dont have Fireball SE yet, i'd recommend that one if you cant get both.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
ha...

I personally prefer Ballistic over BHU...

I don't know what it is... if it's the 2 minute challenge levels, or the INSANE Wave Mode... the different attributes of each of the enemy spheres... but Ballistic is easily one of the best DS Shooters I've ever played.

Also, not saying that BHU or Infinity Field are bad... I've got both on both my iPhone and iPad... and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. But Ballistic has gotten WAY more gameplay outta me, which is saying quite a bit, especially considering how long BHU and Infinity Field have been out...

Anyway... if you're a fan of DS Shooters, this one is a must get.
05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelBoy2181 View Post
I personally enjoyed it more than Infinity Field, but that's just me. I don't own Beat Hazard Ultra, so I can't comment on that comparison.
05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
I picked this up with the price drop but agree with earlier feedback from Gabrien about how you can survive for some time just sitting in the corner; that's a hilarious/absurd AI loophole.
05-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I picked this up with the price drop but agree with earlier feedback from Gabrien about how you can survive for some time just sitting in the corner; that's a hilarious/absurd AI loophole.
yeah, but how far can you make it? I tried it, and only got to wave 10... considering the game really picks up around wave 60-100... what's the point, especially if you're going for a highscore?
05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Wanna echo syntheticvoid's comment. Try playing for high score..and at later waves. You can sit in the corner for lower stages..and your score will suffer. If you sit in the corner, you won't really get a chance to pick up as many multipliers as possible..

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?