Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
Okay it's not a Real Racing 2 or Asphalt 6 by far but it offers a pretty good nostalgic (intended or not?—hard to tell…) racing feeling.

The standard controls are fine (option: auto or manual acceleration). Graphically it's worse than Asphalt 5 (five) here on iPad 3, maybe two or three years back in iOS tech development standards. Slowly popping up items in the background (not often but too often), blunt looking cars without shiny reflections or dynamic shadows, low resolution altogether.

But it runs very smooth. The usual four viewing positions far/near behind your car or on your front bumpers. Never seen before: A kind of reset button (hard to reach on iPad, top center) when you had a (hard) crash to put the car quickly back on the track; that gives a bit of a slots model cars racing feeling. The AI seems to be varying, the others are even making bad driving errors on rare occasions. Quick race restart if you need it.

Love the moving trains and underground railroads besides the racing track (in RR2 there are trains as well but they never move). There are many up- and downhills. The downtown track is very long and hard with it's sharp 90 degrees turns.

Rocky background music (stereophonic) with electric guitars. Effect sounds monophonic. Seems to be a bug: On some tracks I can't hear my car's motor sound (all other sounds are okay), normally I can hear how the gears are switching. No local multiplayer what is a bummer because I love local multiplayer races A LOT more than that online stuff (it's a REAL social experience believe me). Didn't try online multiplayer yet.

There seems not to be much more than three cars (I can't upgrade the cars, or maybe I couldn't find such an option because some menu fonts are a bit too stylish and hard to read), five tracks (plus reverse) and four game modes. But since there are not many new 3D racers (where the hell is Asphalt 7?—will pay €100 and even more if it's only half as good as A6) and since I love cars AND trains I don't regret that I bought it. As said before: The (somewhat retro) feeling and the controls are fine so far.

The three cars:

Stinger Easy, top speed 288 km/h. Tilt to turn. Will automatically drift.
Duke Normal, 295 km/h. Tap the brake twice to activate a drift.
Goliath Hard, 311 km/h. This car does not drift. Be ready on the brake.

Tracks:

Oval
Speedway
Alpine
Aztec
Metropolis

Game modes:

Arcade
Career
Quick Play

Asphalt 6 (my rating: five stars out of five) costs $0.99 (iPhone) and $1.99 (HD, iPad) at the moment—so if you don't have it yet Asphalt 6: Adrenaline is much better for the money if you want a full-blown action arcade racer with the absolute supercars, postcard tracks and an awesome trippy ground flight speed feeling (made with cinematographic psycho fine tuning tricks like motion blurs, image shattering, neon colors in adrenaline mode—for me personally better than good old WipEout and even better than all air or space flight/combat games) with unbelievable multiple jumps and full of coolest stuff. Compare: Original iPad retina screenshots of Asphalt 6.

My rating for Speedway Racers: 2.5 stars, maybe 3 (after some updates, cars, tracks even more stars possible, consider retina graphics). But not so bad for a first version.
Great review Habakuk.

I agree with you, Asphalt 6 is one of my faves... the level of detail Gameloft put into it was impressive, can't wait to see what they've done with Asphalt 7.

A real shame Speedway Racer isn't retina. It's good they've added online multiplay.. personally I don't have any friends who game on their iDevices like me, so its always a joy to play a game with worldwide online play.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Default Game Impressions

People dont seem to be tilting enough
This was on the normal sensitivity, you can change it in the pause menu

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by derpderp; 05-16-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Hmmmm..

I seems the sensitivity is set too low or people are just not tilting the iphone/ipod/ipad enough.

For now put the sensitivity up to maximum (Pause menu > Options > Controls)

The next update will have the sensitivity set at a higher default so people can start drifting more!

Im going to ask Sanuku and StormRadar to take their videos again with higher sensitivity to try and get a more accurate picture of the Speedway Racers mechanics

Last edited by LockStockGames; 05-16-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Is Game Center just for the multiplayer, or are there also achievements and leaderboards?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptalian View Post
Is Game Center just for the multiplayer, or are there also achievements and leaderboards?
There are also leader boards and achievements will be added in an upcoming update.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:01 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS View Post
I'll give it a go! Thanks for a great game.
Thanks for buying!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm struggling with the drift in this, I know what a want to do but I end up spearing into the walls instead
Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

It's annoying that 3rd party devs are bringing us their own "ports" of OutRun and Daytona USA, yet SEGA themselves sit with their thumbs up their arses releasing dross (MegaDrive Virtua Fighter 2. Really?) and ignoring their amazing back catalogue.

SEGA Rally, make it happen. PLEASE.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by devensega View Post
I'm struggling with the drift in this, I know what a want to do but I end up spearing into the walls instead
Try putting the sensitivity up to the maximum (Pause menu > Option > Controls)

Also take a look at the video posted by DerpDerp earlier in this thread, you can take a look at how (s)he drifts.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockStockGames View Post
you can take a look at how (s)he drifts.
HE! thank you very much