★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Question to the developpers(about translator's job)

05-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Question to the developpers(about translator's job)

Hello developers,

Let me introduce myself first,
I am a Chinese 24 years old iPhone gamer.

Here is the point, my english is far to be perfect (as you can see trough these lines) but Chinese people (as we all know) suck a lot in english, and I saw lot of comment in the Taiwan or China AppStore which were like "all in english, need Chinese version!!!".

Then a question came up to my mind, why developers don't look for translators?
I mean I don't think I could handle a 20k words game with a real big story, but there are lot of game which are very easy to translate.

If you need, let me know.
email: wen730816@gmail.com

Best regards,
Renee
05-20-2009, 07:43 AM
I can only speak for myself, but as an American developer, I am not used to considering other languages a required feature. Americans have very little exposure to other languages besides English. Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin to translate my application.

From a iPhone developer's point of view, about 80% of sales come from the American store. Adding other languages just isn't worth the time.

05-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlem View Post
I can only speak for myself, but as an American developer, I am not used to considering other languages a required feature. Americans have very little exposure to other languages besides English. Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin to translate my application.

From a iPhone developer's point of view, about 80% of sales come from the American store. Adding other languages just isn't worth the time.
Actually, developers posting in this thread have indicated a big increase in sales for certain regions when translations are made. It is true that it will never be the equivalent of the US store but maybe the numbers are so low in some countries because there is no local language version.
05-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monteboyd View Post
Actually, developers posting in this thread have indicated a big increase in sales for certain regions when translations are made. It is true that it will never be the equivalent of the US store but maybe the numbers are so low in some countries because there is no local language version.
exactly why would someone buy a game that he wouldn't understand , its just like movies , how can you watch a chines movie if there are no subtitles at least

sales in other regions are less than USA because its not translated or localized , translated and localized games showed allot of income and sales for the guys who did it , and allot of people reported that here on the forum
05-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I certainly belive that translations help a lot to the developers, just like it's shown in that thread.
Think about this, there are more than 80 countries where appstore is stablished. Think about the population that might not understand your game, and take in consideration Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, not to mention many many spanish speaking countries.
I believe that a translation is a must do for big games, they help you increase your incomes.

Currently translated this games to spanish: Toki Tori! ; Toki Tori Lite! ; Steamworks ; Monster Pinball ...
PM me if you need help with translations!
05-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Granted being in the top 100 in a lot of these South American countries means 1-3 sales/day
I read that thread and don't see any numbers to say how much of an impact translation is.

I'm not trying to mean here but the volume of says possible in these other countries isn't large enough to justify the expense. English accounts for most of the sales on the AppStore.

Last edited by kenlem; 05-20-2009 at 02:21 PM.
05-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Quote:
I read that thread and don't see any numbers to say how much of an impact translation is.

I'm not trying to mean here but the volume of says possible in these other countries isn't large enough to justify the expense. English accounts for most of the sales on the AppStore.
So what about the 600 sales per day of the Japanese/French/German store at the top 10?
05-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotlight View Post
So what about the 600 sales per day of the Japanese/French/German store at the top 10?
Well, I suppose 600 sales a day for three languages is pretty good. That's a good case for localization.

Who reported those numbers? The numbers I've seen quoted for foreign sales from my own experience and from developers developers have been much, much smaller.
05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Well, I suppose 600 sales a day for three languages is pretty good. That's a good case for localization.

Who reported those numbers? The numbers I've seen quoted for foreign sales from my own experience and from developers developers have been much, much smaller.
http://firemintgames.blogspot.com/20...s-numbers.html
05-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Quote:
I'm not trying to mean here but the volume of says possible in these other countries isn't large enough to justify the expense.
I've earned much more from France/Japan/Spanish-speaking countries than it cost to do translations for those languages (especially Japan). If that doesn't justify the expense, I don't know what does.

--Eric

Realmaze3D on the App Store
Realmaze3Free: 3 free mazes (a taste of Realmaze3D)