Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-16-2012, 05:33 AM

Default Bug Assault - (by Namco Networks America Inc. Games)[Universal]

Quote:
NZ Release info :

The Game is out in New Zealand. It should be out in US at about 11 PM EST and Europe at around 12 AM UK time. Size of the app is 39.3 MB.

Price in NZ is $1.29 which should translate to USD $0.99

Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad.Requires iOS 4.0 or later.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Quote:
Addictive gameplay, an all new mechanic, upgradeable weapons, boss fights, collectibles and much more await you on the battlefield! Can you handle the Bug Assault?

After suffering the volts of Skippy in Bird Zapper, the birds are now sending armies of nasty bugs to the squirrel’s home for revenge… but Skippy is prepared! Help the little furry hero battle against endless waves of invading insects, but bring your A-game, the miniature menace is ruthless and very cunning.
Features:
- Highly addictive gameplay – No two invasions are alike, the bugs change their tactics with every new game.
- An all new mechanic – Tap two points to create an electric arc that buzzes the bugs caught in the middle.
- Upgradeable weapons – When the going gets tough, bring out the Tesla Coil to fry any bug caught in its range. More of a “hands on” individual? We’ve got you covered with powerful swatting devices guaranteed to leave a nasty bruise. Thinking of mass destruction? Feel free to utilize the powerful gas sprays and really wreak some havoc among the pesky crawlers. Each weapon can be upgraded to maximize the pain!
- Boss fights – The bugs have a few tricks up their tiny sleeves, especially when it comes to warfare. They’re bringing out the big guns, the biggest and baddest insects ever seen. Pay extra attention to these scoundrels, they’ll need a bit more than a whack on the head to take the old dirt nap.
- Collectibles – Skippy prides himself with his trophies, even if they are crazy insects. There’s an Insectarium where each bug defeated on the battlefield is collected, tagged and given its own special jar. They all have a story to tell and they’re definitely worth checking out.
- Challenges – Because squirrels itch for excitement at every step, with every new game comes an extra goal that grants significant rewards for those brave enough to reach it.
iOS 5 support, Facebook and Twitter for Achievements and Challenges because you’ll want your friends to know how awesome you are, Fun Facts about the fascinating insect world, a Kids Mode with exclusive Fun Facts for the toddler gamers and much, much more await you in Bug Assault!
Screenshots:

Last edited by Sanuku; 05-16-2012 at 05:35 AM..
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Like this one!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

Disgusting, horrible IAP fest that drags this otherwise charming and fun game to the depths of hell. Hopefully where it shall be joined by its creators.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Disgusting, horrible IAP fest that drags this otherwise charming and fun game to the depths of hell. Hopefully where it shall be joined by its creators.
Thanks for letting us know Gabrien
Almost got it last night
Glad I didn't
Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 6.x

The IAP so far don't seem necessary to me. So far I'm enjoying the game without any.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Oh!!!!
What's the saying
" you pay your money and you take your chances"
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C83 View Post
The IAP so far don't seem necessary to me. So far I'm enjoying the game without any.
Regular playthroughs of the game without completing an assigned bonus task, will net you around 10 "currency." Let's be generous and call it 20. The cost for each tier of unlocked power-up is around: 300 "currency" for first tier, 500 currency for second, 700 currency for third. I am, again, trying to err on the side of being conservative as I've deleted the game and cannot check the exact numbers.

So far, that leaves us with an extreme grind, which none the less would be par for the course were the creators content to leave it at that, but no. Here's the real rub:

Each power up uses "ammo." Yes, even the newspaper and the fly swatter. This ammo costs 50 "currency" for five bloody uses. Still doing the math?

Now, you could in theory just play the game without using power ups at all. Except that the sharp rise in difficulty after beating the first boss will soon put that idea in its place. And the helpful suggestions from your cuddly, furry hero to "try using power-ups!" will feel like spit in your eye.

If you want though, you can unlock "Kids' Mode." With limitless power-ups, no meaningful scores, and no challenge. For 99c. Bless their hearts, at least they thought of the children.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:37 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Regular playthroughs of the game without completing an assigned bonus task, will net you around 10 "currency." Let's be generous and call it 20. The cost for each tier of unlocked power-up is around: 300 "currency" for first tier, 500 currency for second, 700 currency for third. I am, again, trying to err on the side of being conservative as I've deleted the game and cannot check the exact numbers.

So far, that leaves us with an extreme grind, which none the less would be par for the course were the creators content to leave it at that, but no. Here's the real rub:

Each power up uses "ammo." Yes, even the newspaper and the fly swatter. This ammo costs 50 "currency" for five bloody uses. Still doing the math?

Now, you could in theory just play the game without using power ups at all. Except that the sharp rise in difficulty after beating the first boss will soon put that idea in its place. And the helpful suggestions from your cuddly, furry hero to "try using power-ups!" will feel like spit in your eye.

If you want though, you can unlock "Kids' Mode." With limitless power-ups, no meaningful scores, and no challenge. For 99c. Bless their hearts, at least they thought of the children.
I'm getting at least 30 currency per play, and that's being conservative. Along with the challenges which net you between 20-40 currency per completed challenge, it's possible for a decent player to get 70+ currency per game. There are 10 of these challenges, not sure what happens when all challenges are completed.

I agree that the weapons are pricey. That doesn't bother me. I've bought 2 of the 3 weapons so far, but rarely use them as I prefer to use the main buzzing... thing. I don't believe the weapons allow you to make combos. More combos = higher score = more currency. Use the weapons as a last resort, maybe once per game.

I stand by what I said earlier, personally I don't need to purchase any IAP in this game to enjoy it. The game cost me 69p, and so far have gotten my money's worth. I, like many, would rather pay a higher price for a game not to have IAP, and to be balanced accordingly. Unfortunately IAP seems to be a mainstay of iOS gaming, and I would rather play this game which has IAP than say for example Pinch Peeps, which does not.