Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
All hail, Rahtina, god of displays!
I was hoping someone else caught that in the trailer video...rheteena display...hahahahaha! What a dope.

--DotComCTO
Old 05-17-2012, 12:26 AM

So...any async MP possible? (guess not)
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Won my very first match as a detective (playing with a friend and CPU team) and got the bames jond award for winning ten matches... And I now receive at least once every time I open the app :/

The tutorials really help you get into the game but explain ZERO strategy. In the Detective Tutorial they show you how a team corners mister x. They show you every move to make but don't explain why you're making that move.

I really appreciate the high quality of the app (minus that awful chat input) and the fact that it's universal (so the mp isn't segregated like in Labyrinth)

But interactive tutorials like these are a bit of a wasted opportunity. They can be so much more than just "this is the object of the game", "this is how you move", etc. They have the chance to make me GOOD at their game from the beginning.

We may have blocked him in but I have no idea how it happened. There seemed to be several exit points but I suggested that maybe Mister X rain out of tickets. A small quibble, I realize, but when everything is done so well you have to nitpick

Overall I give it 4.5/5
It's a simple premise
Gorgeously rendered
Universal
Local, Bluetooth, Gamecenter ( haven't found a match to test if it's asynchronous)
Text and Voice chat
Option to have the iOS status bar always visible (THANK YOU!!!)

AI seems decent on the normal level. Mister X only used one special card (Double Move) but we were already circling him so it was too late to be effective. There is a Hard setting which I'll try tomorrow; I don't think it will replace the cunning of a human playing as Mister X but I'd love to control all the yardies against a tough as nails AI.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
Overall I give it 4.5/5
Local, Bluetooth, Gamecenter ( haven't found a match to test if it's asynchronous)
Now you are drawing me in...

If the single player is fun enough I don't mind the lack of async -- I can play online when you-know-that-pop-card-game-despite-everyone-else-is-playing-D3 does not take too much of my free time...
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 AM

Played through one game quickly and I am really impressed with the game.

VeganTnT is correct about the tutorial and it's lack of "why", but I was able to fill in the pieces by looking at what card they had played and looking at all the routes those cards would take them. I could see why I was being told to go to a certain place, but it would have been better if the game had shown that to you.

I had never played the original board game (probably one of the few I haven't played) so I was excited to see what it was like. There is a good amount of strategy in this game and I really like that.

The look of the game is wonderful. The Rah-Tina display is nice and it's fun to move around the board and see the locations of the other pieces shown while you move. The map is beautiful and you feel like you could take it with you on a trip to London. The playing pieces give the game a nice 3D look. All in all, a wonderful job on the visuals.

I have only played in one player mode, but can't wait to pull this out with friends. I've also only played on the iPad, but did take a quick look on the iPhone and it seems like it will be just as playable on that device (though I'm sure I'll stick to the Pad most of the time).

This is a really nice game. Fans of strategy and board games in general will find plenty to like in this effort. I would also give it a 4.5/5 stars.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 AM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster

Yes!

Great game ... played my first games and it is really well done!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:07 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Got a chance to play a game tonight with my daughters as Mr X against the computer. I helped them with their strategy and it was incredibly fun. There's a great level of polish in the game. It's got enough different from the board game to make it new, but enough the same to make it familiar.

Now a few niggles, first I wish you could interact with the moves list as Mr X like you could in the board game, that was always cool. But I ESPECIALLY miss not seeing the instructions in the game, you have to exit out to explain the rules. I know it's a simple game, but just give me the info there.

Other than that, I love it. I never got to really play this as a kid, I had all the pieces but had no one to play it with. I'm sure I played the NES version, but it didn't stick with me. This, however, is so many favors of cool. Well done to the devs, who are around here...

This and Ramses might just be my favorite family board games.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Here is a quick review of the board game to give anyone unfamiliar with the game a little more understanding of it's style.

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Playing as Mister X I'm seeing AGF's point about the map.

As the criminal it pays to know where all the other detectives are so I would watch most of the game fully zoomed out. Unfortunately the beautiful city scape quickly turns to a busy mess where it's extremely difficult to keep a visual on all the pieces. This goes double on the iPhone (I'm using a 4)

There are buttons to zoom into specific players but there really isn't a way to increase their visibility. There are also markers to show when pieces are off screen which help give you a general sense of where everyone is on the board.

It's by no means a game breaker, it just makes things needlessly difficult (like a black game piece on a board that is primarily black)
Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnetSeven View Post
Here is a quick review of the board game to give anyone unfamiliar with the game a little more understanding of it's style.

YouTube: video
thanks for the vid. with a better understanding of how to play, im more inclined to pick it up now.