★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Time of Heroes (Universal) By smuttlewerk interactive ($2.99-->FREE)

05-16-2012, 12:43 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Time of Heroes (Universal) By smuttlewerk interactive ($2.99-->FREE)

05-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Awesome, can't wait to try it.

Companions had a price drop to $0.99 as well.

05-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Had some interest in this, but sounds like it doesn't work very well on a 3GS.
05-16-2012, 01:25 PM
What is the difference between this and zero edition

Noise brings so many things, make my tingling skin freeze.
Follow a Panda bear and make Twitter a better place!
05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Had some interest in this, but sounds like it doesn't work very well on a 3GS.
After finishing the first mission I have to say it is true - it doesn't work as smooth as I'd like it to. The game gets quite choppy when switching from map view to combat view (when units fight), also there are some serious slowdowns when special effects come to play (magic etc.), just like in Final Fantasy Tactics. From what I can see the frame ratio is something like 20-15fps, so not very good. But hey, you can't expect a good old 3GS to run everything super smooth these days, right?

It is interesting how different devs manage to optimize their games for older devices. Some games are choppy (like this one, or Rinth Island that I got a week ago, even more laggy), and some of them are surprisingly smooth (just two examples from yesterday – MotoHeroz and This Could Hurt, both butter smooth animations and a joy to watch).

So this is one of those games that will have to wait in my iTunes library for a fresh, new iDevice which I'll be getting later this year

Favorites: The Quest Gold + expansions, Mission Europa Collectors Edition, Ascension, Jet Car Stunts 2, Junk Jack X, King of Dragon Pass, Kingturn series, Mecho Wars HD, Mini Dash, Mos Speedrun, Ravenmark, Sonic series, Fall of Angels, Highborn, Solomon’s Keep / Boneyard, pixel art games, remakes and ports of classic games.
05-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Ehhhhh, not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would. I've been playing Hunters Episode 1 for about a week now and the flow just of Time of Heroes just doesn't live up to that game. It might be just me though.

Currently enjoying: CtR, AB: Space, Guitar Hero, Rock Band Reloaded, Burger Queen World, Hunters: Episode One, Batman Arkham Lockdown, Ice Race, Bar Oasis1.5, Air Gamblers: Supremacy, Mage Gauntlet, Real Racing 2, Inotia2/3, Undercroft, Pocket Warriors, Ascension, Chaos Rings
05-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunlock View Post
It is interesting how different devs manage to optimize their games for older devices. Some games are choppy (like this one, or Rinth Island that I got a week ago, even more laggy), and some of them are surprisingly smooth (just two examples from yesterday – MotoHeroz and This Could Hurt, both butter smooth animations and a joy to watch).
I always wonder why there's such a huge difference between some games as well. To me, Rinth Island is not exactly a "looker" compared to a lot of games that run just fine.

But then you've got something like Sonic 4: Episode 1 and it not only looks great, but runs great even on a iPod Touch 2G.

Oh well, maybe I'll download this for my next upgrade....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbraVir View Post
Ehhhhh, not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would. I've been playing Hunters Episode 1 for about a week now and the flow just of Time of Heroes just doesn't live up to that game. It might be just me though.
That makes me feel better. I've been playing Hunters 2 (never tried the first one) and it's fantastic (also runs nice on a 3GS )

Last edited by awp69; 05-16-2012 at 07:57 PM.
05-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
I always wonder why there's such a huge difference between some games as well. To me, Rinth Island is not exactly a "looker" compared to a lot of games that run just fine.

But then you've got something like Sonic 4: Episode 1 and it not only looks great, but runs great even on a iPod Touch 2G.

Oh well, maybe I'll download this for my next upgrade....

That makes me feel better. I've been playing Hunters 2 (never tried the first one) and it's fantastic (also runs nice on a 3GS )
Lol, totally waiting for the second one to go on sale. I feel a little bit guilty though because the production value seems pretty friggin fantastic following precedent from the prequel.

Currently enjoying: CtR, AB: Space, Guitar Hero, Rock Band Reloaded, Burger Queen World, Hunters: Episode One, Batman Arkham Lockdown, Ice Race, Bar Oasis1.5, Air Gamblers: Supremacy, Mage Gauntlet, Real Racing 2, Inotia2/3, Undercroft, Pocket Warriors, Ascension, Chaos Rings